Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
In Australind,
it feels like a polar front brings a 2-4 C (4-7 F) temp drop,
15+km/h (10mph+) windspeed increase
and a "feels like" temp dropping only as much as 10 C/18 F.

Back in Toronto, polar-anything means a minimum of 7 C/13 F drop in temps alone.
And usually plenty of snow to boot

I want to add as well, Puerto Rico is surprisingly warmer than coastal Queensland near Cairns-Innisfail in the winter. Puerto Rico's winter temperatures are more similar to the Torres Strait, despite the fact that Puerto Rico is between 18°N and 19°N, which puts it near Innisfail, QLD in the southern hemisphere

Atlantic side of Puerto Rico is just 1°C cooler in January than Port Moresby, Papua is in July. The Caribbean side of Puerto Rico is 1°C warmer than Darwin, and 2°C warmer than Port Moresby in January/July (and the geographic distance from San Juan to Ponce is about 35mi/57km)

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-07-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
In Australind,
it feels like a polar front brings a 2-4 C (4-7 F) temp drop,
15+km/h (10mph+) windspeed increase
and a "feels like" temp dropping only as much as 10 C/18 F.

Back in Toronto, polar-anything means a minimum of 7 C/13 F drop in temps alone.
Speaking of torono mate... Happy thanksgiving. Glad to see you are still into weather.
And I second the idea of lack of mountains blocking the antarctic chill. Makes sense.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

I want to add as well, Puerto Rico is surprisingly warmer than coastal Queensland near Cairns-Innisfail in the winter. Puerto Rico's winter temperatures are more similar to the Torres Strait, despite the fact that Puerto Rico is between 18°N and 19°N, which puts it near Innisfail, QLD in the southern hemisphere

Atlantic side of Puerto Rico is just 1°C cooler in January than Port Moresby, Papua is in July. The Caribbean side of Puerto Rico is 1°C warmer than Darwin, and 2°C warmer than Port Moresby in January/July (and the geographic distance from San Juan to Ponce is about 35mi/57km)

Remember that the Northern Hemisphere is generally warmer than the Southern Hemisphere for a given latitude. Also, the Carribean is generally much dryer and sunnier (at least on the lee sides of islands) than climes around the same latitude in the Southern Hemisphere (there is generally not a strong rain shadow effect in the Pacific Islands). The discrepancy would be considerably less if you look at Western Australian climates (which are arid).

Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I wonder where Les Stroud was talking about...the southern deserts like the Great Victoria Desert and the Nullabor (which by rainfall is arid) can get coolish in summer, but even remote parts of the northern deserts remain hot at night. In the Southwest US the heat island effect makes things even worse...I hear it's not uncommon for the mercury to remain above 30C all night long in Phoenix these days.

Death Valley has the highest July minimum of about 30C (86F) in the lower 48 states. I can barely imagine how oppressive that can be. I read somewhere their highest ever minimum there was 39.5C (103F). Similar conditions are found in parts of the Middle East.

But either way, when they say deserts are scorching in the daytime and freezing at night it is a bit misleading.
Les's Outback trip was in SA, approximately 200-400km WNW of Whyalla. Hardly "northern"
He actually called it "central Australia" but it actually wasn't near Uluru/Olgas/Kings Canyon is the footage makes the landscape appear.

Um, how about "...I'm cold most of days at sunset here..."

Especially if I had no shelter, I'd be starting a fire too unless the area was experience a heatwave.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Speaking of torono mate... Happy thanksgiving. Glad to see you are still into weather.
And I second the idea of lack of mountains blocking the antarctic chill. Makes sense.
Cheers. Forgot that. Canadian mates didn't remind me.

Can someone mail me a roasted turkey?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Hahaha, not quite.

We can get polar fronts anytime of year,
and they aren't usually cold enough for ice or snow from late-April to mid-Oct.
That's how we get our famous mid-summer day's max of 63-65 F/17-18 C, seemingly every year, without fail.

It's so unfair...
That's why most tropical climates in southern hemisphere don't look very tropical to me.

Tropical winter to me means the only differences from summer are
-lower daytime humidity
-cooler-but-still-warm nights
-high amounts of hot afternoon sun
-seas that are still like a bathtub.
Cairns is roughly equal to Miami to me; barely not tropical.

Cairns probably misses hot midwinter sunshine, the kind that dehydrates you quickly.
(Jamaica, Puerto Rico, USVI winters; every bar's blenders are working overtime )

Cairns mid-winter nights are probably cool enough that long sleeves are more comfortable than short sleeves.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Quote:
Hahaha, not quite.

That's how we get our famous mid-summer day's max of 63-65 F/17-18 C, seemingly every year, without fail.

It's so unfair...
That's why most tropical climates in southern hemisphere don't look very tropical to me.

-lower daytime humidity

Cairns probably misses hot midwinter sunshine, the kind that dehydrates you quickly.
(Jamaica, Puerto Rico, USVI winters; every bar's blenders are working overtime )

Cairns mid-winter nights are probably cool enough that long sleeves are more comfortable than short sleeves.
I'm a bit cold weather tender myself, but Cairns definitely shouldn't be compared to Miami. Cairns is still warm enough to grow any ultra-tropical plant, winters are only slightly cooler then most of Hawaii. I don't consider Miami tropical, but Cairns is definitely not subtropical.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
They're not?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
I'm a bit cold weather tender myself, but Cairns definitely shouldn't be compared to Miami. Cairns is still warm enough to grow any ultra-tropical plant, winters are only slightly cooler then most of Hawaii. I don't consider Miami tropical, but Cairns is definitely not subtropical.
I think Miami is a proper tropical place, despite it being affected by strong cold fronts no more than a few times a year. It always warms up the next day or 2 back to around average. The way I see it, if a place has coconut palm trees growing in it, then it's a proper tropical place. Coconut palms are not cold hardy, and don't grow further north than Lake Okeechobee, unless if it's right along the Atlantic coast.

Quote:
Hahaha, not quite.

It's so unfair...

-lower daytime humidity

I was wondering that, it was weird that Cairns was so cold at night during the winter. Puerto Rico's coldest nights are 21°C but Cairns is around like, 15°C. Daytimes are also somewhat warmer in San Juan, about 3°C warmer. Darwin is the only city in Australia where you'll find Caribbean temps, according to my research. Have you been up there? Is it more tropical than Queensland, vegetation wise?

Did some looking up, Cairns averaged 17°C lows this past July, while San Juan averaged 21°C for lows in January. Just to make sure, July is the coldest month in Australia, and not June or August?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They're not?
It's true. The only city in Australia that can reach the warmth that Puerto Rico reaches, is Darwin. Darwin is warmer than the Atlantic face of Puerto Rico, but the same as the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather