U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The Nullarbor plain in SA/WA is also in the mild desert category, although more prone to severe heat (but it is usually short lasting).
I like Eucla, WA:
Eucla, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Weird climate. It looks like much of coastal NSW temperature-wise, only with no rain.

Though the effects are less dramatic than on the African and South American coasts, some mild desert and semi-desert exists in the northern hemisphere too.

Agadir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ensenada, Baja California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 1,200,393 times
Norfolk Island has a comfortable climate.

Norfolk Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-24-2011, 06:11 AM

778 posts, read 761,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I am compiling a list of climates that may be regarded as optimal for thermal comfort (for the average person). This is a matter of interest to me as I like to fantasize about where I would live if I happened to come into a lot of money and opted for early retirement. Obviously this is a somewhat subjective matter, but for myself and I believe the majority of people I would say that the optimum would be daily highs in the 70 - 80 F range and overnight lows in the 50 - 70 F range. Obviously sun, rain and wind need to be considered as well (wind and rain are more welcome and sun is less welcome with higher temperatures and humidity).

Of course there are many here who would consider such conditions unbearably hot and others for whom they would be freezing cold, but I really think these ranges are about right for most people. So if you know of any climates that fit the bill feel free to post them below. No doubt you will remember many of these from "rate the climate" threads where they unsurprisingly performed well.

Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands: Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands Climate, Temperature, Average Weather History, Rainfall/ Precipitation, Sunshine
Jamestown, St. Helena: Jamestown, Saint Helena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Antananarivo, Madagascar: Antananarivo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nairobi, Kenya: Nairobi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gold Coast, Australia (and much of the Australian central East coast): Gold Coast, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Atherton, Australia - Climate statistics for Australian locations
Canary Islands: Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Easter Island, Chile: Easter Island Climate, Temperature, Average Weather History, Rainfall/ Precipitation, Sunshine
Sao Paulo, Brazil: São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Medellin, Columbia: Medellín - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Durban - Durban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Los Angeles (and really anywhere on the SoCal coast): Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^^ These are not necessarily my favourite climates but if I had to pick from your list I would go with Antananarivo. Temperatures are pleasant year round and with very low rainfall for almost half of the year I would expect sunshine totals to be quite high. I also like the cool night time temperatures. The possibility of occasional, near-freezing temperatures in "winter" keeps this climate from being too boring or monotonous.

Otherwise, I would pick Las Palmas - again, warm but rarely too hot year round, (if that's what "comfort" means to most people...) with superb amounts of sunshine:

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,410,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Excellent find! Morrocco has many wonderful climates and I think this may well be the jewel in the crown.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,410,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetinje View Post
Cloudy though.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,684,606 times
Central Costa-Rica is really nice too. The only downside is it's really wet in the summer. But even then the showers are brief and predictable.
San José, Costa Rica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 AM

653 posts, read 862,403 times
I say: If you like it milder, just come to São Paulo. You're gonna find no extreme temperatures, sunshine, whatever which annoys you...The only thing pretty common here are the thunderstorms...we face more than 40 of them every single year, although it's nice to watch them falling down on us ...

Old 11-25-2011, 07:23 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,422,373 times
Summer minimums around 10 to 15C and maximums 25 - 30C. Sun around 150 per month during the summers and winters below 50. Rainfall over 2500mm That's my ideal climate Any less rain and more sunny westerlies is truly evil, god knows how I had to put up with those in the last few years - no more, enough is enough LOL

Old 12-03-2011, 04:06 AM

115 posts, read 111,309 times
Some places with spring rainy climate.
Bamenda in Cameroon to 1600 meters of height with approximately 2600 mm of annual rainfall.

World Weather Information Service - Bamenda

Turrialba in Costa Rica to 640 meters of height with temperatures one high but soft for his height 650 meters and the same rainfall 2600 mm that Bamenda.

World Weather Information Service - Turrialba

A city most important that Turrialba, also on Costa Rica, is A City Quesada with 50000 inhabitants also called San Carlos to 650 meters of height, with temperatures similar to Turrialba but an annual rainfall high 4545 mm

CIUDAD QUESADA, COSTA RICA Weather History and Climate Data

Old 12-24-2013, 05:25 AM

9,775 posts, read 5,717,235 times
Gold Coast and Sao Paulo are too humid, thus may be raising the heat (or humidex).

Sydney is quite comfortable, if not hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather