Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

497 posts, read 1,087,508 times

Advertisements

Do you have any significant micro climates close to where you live?

I've never seen frost on some paddocks below here, even though the area gets about 70 frosts a year. A down slope wind on colder mornings stops frost forming. Even on the coldest morning I've ever seen here (-5.8C/22F) there was only heavy dew on the grass. Less than 1 km away, are shaded spots where frost can stay for 10 days or so during really cold spells.

I would be interested in other micro climates. Hot, cold, wet, windy, whatever. They don't need to have official readings or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Can't think of anything as marked as that (I bet with your topography NZ must be one of the top places on Earth for microclimates) but I'm curious as to why Greenwich and Heathrow in London have over 100 hours' difference in annual sunshine when they are not more than 15-20 miles apart, have very similar altitude and neither is by the sea. I find frost hollows and temperature inversions pretty interesting. I read an (unsubstantiated) report of Altnaharra, a frost hollow in northern Scotland recording -22C one day last year when the mountaintop right by it was at +3 at the same time.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Can't think of anything as marked as that (I bet with your topography NZ must be one of the top places on Earth for microclimates) but I'm curious as to why Greenwich and Heathrow in London have over 100 hours' difference in annual sunshine when they are not more than 15-20 miles apart, have very similar altitude and neither is by the sea. I find frost hollows and temperature inversions pretty interesting. I read an (unsubstantiated) report of Altnaharra, a frost hollow in northern Scotland recording -22C one day last year when the mountaintop right by it was at +3 at the same time.
Presumably Greenwich has a good open position for sunshine recording? It would be a poor look if a famous observatory couldn't organise a decent "exposure".

Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Presumably Greenwich has a good open position for sunshine recording? It would be a poor look if a famous observatory couldn't organise a decent "exposure".
It's an official station so you'd assume it met whatever standards there are, but I haven't been to the observatory since I was a kid so couldn't tell you about its position (and ditto for Heathrow as I've never been there at all). Hampstead's sunshine figures are more like Greenwich's from what I've seen (I haven't seen the actual 30-year average but most individual years seem to be high 1400s/low 1500s) but it would make sense it being less sunny there with 300ft extra elevation.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Actually heat island effects have been known to create more moisture/humidity/condensation and thus more rainfall, so the CBD's of large cities do indeed tend to be marginally wetter and cloudier than surrounding countryside.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
I've been to Greenwich, very interesting place! Took the boat to the Naval Academy/Museum then it was a rather long walk to the top of a hill to the observatory. It was in the open as I remember although there were some trees. I would say the location would be the variance, it is on a knoll, river not that far away. Heathrow on the other hand would be flat right??? I've been there, 3 or 4 times, but only to fly in and out, not paying attention to topography, surrounding area.

I was last there in late 90's, I think. Somewhere I have a card time stamped, stating I was at 0 longitude, Royal Observatory, I'm not sure what else it says.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
I mentioned Two Rivers/Manitowoc where I live in a rep to you but trouble with checking them out is some sites list Manitowoc temps for us, not happening. Trouble with some Manitowoc readings they are taken by the airport, which is away from Lake Michigan.

Yesterday Manitowoc was 62, when I drove home it was 48. A distance of less than 10 mis. However, weather data on the site someone mentioned shows it to be the same, very rarely does that happen. Now when I check the weatherbug for yesterday, it shows TR at 52 (mine said 48) and Manitowoc by the airport 65.

Once the sun goes down, our evening temps can be closer together, that happens. I find it very interesting and a subject of discussion on C-D when I hang out at the Wisconsin chat thread!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually heat island effects have been known to create more moisture/humidity/condensation and thus more rainfall, so the CBD's of large cities do indeed tend to be marginally wetter and cloudier than surrounding countryside.
Yeah, I remember hearing something about the urban heat island effect significantly strengthening and increasing convective thunderstorms, and that areas downwind of cities measure more precipitation than upwind.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
There are some noticeable microclimates here particularly with precipitation. In winter especially, it can be sunny in one part of the city, raining in another and snowing in another. It all depends on distance from water and elevation. Several mornings in winter, I've left my house in the suburbs and it has been snowing or sleeting and when I arrive at work downtown, it's just cold rain.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Several mornings in winter, I've left my house in the suburbs and it has been snowing or sleeting and when I arrive at work downtown, it's just cold rain.
I get that kind of experience too, commuting from north of Toronto to downtown, which I'd attribute to the urban heat island and distance from the lake.

On a related note, I wonder how large a city usually has to be in order to have a noticeable heat island effect (correcting for the natural variation in parts of a the city such as elevation or closeness to water). Any city with many millions of people (London, NYC etc.) would seem to have it quite strongly noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather