Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

Advertisements

By the way, which palm tree(s) is it that makes it into the Faroes?
Is it one of the southern hemisphere maritime climate ones (native to near New Zealand etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Is it one of the southern hemisphere maritime climate ones (native to near New Zealand etc.)?
Despite the fact that Faroes has no native forests of its own, trees from Alaska (Sitka spruce) and Tierra del Fuego (Southern beech trees and others) seem to do quite well on Faroe.
Faroe Islands are USDA hardiness zone 8, with a record low warmer than Vancouver's. I imagine windmill palm and Chilean wine palm would do fine there.
It would be awesome to see if someone could capture that image of a palm under the northern lights...

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Despite the fact that Faroes has no native forests of its own, trees from Alaska (Sitka spruce) and Tierra del Fuego (Southern beech trees and others) seem to do quite well on Faroe.
Faroe Islands are USDA hardiness zone 8, with a record low warmer than Vancouver's. I imagine windmill palm and Chilean wine palm would do fine there.
It would be awesome to see if someone could capture that image of a palm under the northern lights...
Do Chilean wine palms grow in BC's coast? To me, they look, from the photos I've seen, even more like the stereotypical tropical palm image (tall trunk, frondy) than the windmill palm, so the contrast would be especially striking under the northern sky as far north as the Faroes.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I like the idea of a place that could grow tropical / subtropical vegetation together with more temperate vegetation. perhaps i'd Tennessee or south carolina.

I'd rather try to grow a redwood than a palm, though.
Redwoods are one of the most beautiful trees around. Some of the older ones ( 110 years old) around here are 65 metres/200 ft tall. They make handy landmarks

Quote:
The Windmill palm apparently can grow in the Faroes. NZ's native palm, the Nikau, is generally killed at about -5C.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Do Chilean wine palms grow in BC's coast? To me, they look, from the photos I've seen, even more like the stereotypical tropical palm image (tall trunk, frondy) than the windmill palm, so the contrast would be especially striking under the northern sky as far north as the Faroes.
Yes, Chilean wine palms grow on BC's coast but not really in Vancouver except in the most protected microclimates. They are primarily restricted to coastal areas of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Vancouver's climate in winter is just slightly too cold for them. I know this species doesn't really require summer warmth, so I think it should do fine on the Faroes.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, Chilean wine palms grow on BC's coast but not really in Vancouver except in the most protected microclimates. They are primarily restricted to coastal areas of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Vancouver's climate in winter is just slightly too cold for them. I know this species doesn't really require summer warmth, so I think it should do fine on the Faroes.
Do windmill palms (Trachycarpus?) also do fine without much summer warmth? I know that they can grow in Vancouver.

I thought windmill palms would need at least some summer warmth than the Faroes have as they seem more like the needle palms/palmettos (they sort of look similar) of the US. subtropical south (also read that the windmills are from humid parts of China which would be similar to the US south).

Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The frost might not kill them outright, but I can't imagine they would last long with the consistently low temperatures and near constant dampness.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Do windmill palms (Trachycarpus?) also do fine without much summer warmth? I know that they can grow in Vancouver.

I thought windmill palms would need at least some summer warmth than the Faroes have as they seem more like the needle palms/palmettos (they sort of look similar) of the US. subtropical south (also read that the windmills are from humid parts of China which would be similar to the US south).
Windmill palms seem one of the most tolerant palms around. They can tolerate both heat and cold it seems. The only thing they seem to really hate are excessively dry conditions. I know there are windmill palms growing in Norway which has quite cold summers... I imagine they would be fine on Faroes. Check out this website:

Scanpalm - Palms in Scandinavia (http://www.scanpalm.no/english.html - broken link)

Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney63 View Post
The frost might not kill them outright, but I can't imagine they would last long with the consistently low temperatures and near constant dampness.
I certainly don't think the Chilean wine palm is in its ideal environment on the Faroes. I imagine it would sulk quite a bit but nevertheless it would survive. I think even growing palms at 62N is quite a remarkable feat!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I certainly don't think the Chilean wine palm is in its ideal environment on the Faroes. I imagine it would sulk quite a bit but nevertheless it would survive. I think even growing palms at 62N is quite a remarkable feat!
I don't think they would have any chance at all. The very brief summer is just too cold, and the rest of the year wouldn't see any movement at all. This place has the same climate as Campbell island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather