Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times

Advertisements

Who, or which stations, do you like best for their weather segments? Include the Weather Channel and all cable sources in addition to local and national forecasts.

My favorite by far is WGN out of Chicago. They give you so much information about many different aspects of climate and weather, they don't waste time on silly chat, they have fantastic graphics that illustrate what they're talking about, they have flawless delivery (unlike the miserable delivery of the Weather Channel) --- I sometimes get better information about what's happening with Texas weather by watching WGN than I do from any local Texas forecast, though I'm stuck with Austin's forecasters and don't know anything about the quality of the weather reports in Dallas, Houston and other metro areas around this region.

What are your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I'm inclined to agree that WGN has one of the best if not THE best weather forecasts & forcasters, especially Tom Skilling. The graphics too are top of the line. I used to watch it every day when I lived in Virginia Beach, and I can remember thinking that this is a big time weather forecast, compared to the local weather shows. The local forecasters in Grand Junction are amateurs in comparison to Tom Skilling. Some of them however are at least as good as some of the weather channel people.

blessings....Franco

Old 07-31-2007, 02:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
This is way I miss getting my weather

Crazy Weather Man Video

and
Crazy Weatherman Video

Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Who, or which stations, do you like best for their weather segments? Include the Weather Channel and all cable sources in addition to local and national forecasts.

My favorite by far is WGN out of Chicago. They give you so much information about many different aspects of climate and weather, they don't waste time on silly chat, they have fantastic graphics that illustrate what they're talking about, they have flawless delivery (unlike the miserable delivery of the Weather Channel) --- I sometimes get better information about what's happening with Texas weather by watching WGN than I do from any local Texas forecast, though I'm stuck with Austin's forecasters and don't know anything about the quality of the weather reports in Dallas, Houston and other metro areas around this region.

What are your favorites?
Absolutely, 100% agreed. Tom Skilling is a master, far above anyone else in the business. Im so glad we have him here in the area, he is incredibly knowledgeable. Ive attended some of his tornado seminars at Fermilab, I was blown away to say the least (no pun intended). I watch the Weather Channel from time to time, and Im never impressed, especially growing up watching Tom Skilling. ALL HAIL KING TOM!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im so glad we have him here in the area, he is incredibly knowledgeable. Ive attended some of his tornado seminars at Fermilab...
Jealousy, gotta control my jealousy. Still working on it... Forget about it, I'm jealous.

Actually, I was hoping to hear from Chicago natives. It's great to get WGN in other parts of the nation, but getting your local forecast from those folks is just unfair to the rest of us. We're mostly trapped in a purgatory of waxed-face clowns treating us as if we can't understand anything beyond the words "hot, cold, wet, dry."

Old 08-01-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Jealousy, gotta control my jealousy. Still working on it... Forget about it, I'm jealous.

Actually, I was hoping to hear from Chicago natives. It's great to get WGN in other parts of the nation, but getting your local forecast from those folks is just unfair to the rest of us. We're mostly trapped in a purgatory of waxed-face clowns treating us as if we can't understand anything beyond the words "hot, cold, wet, dry."
LOL

I know the feeling. When Im out of state I cannot stand watching the weather forcasts, therye pitiful. Sometimes I even watch them on mute. Itll be a sad day when Tom steps down, hes a genius. I just hope he's wrong about our upcoming forecast. Hot and humid all week, and in the 90s to boot. Oh well, its been a beautiful summer so far, I guess its time we get our week or two of Florida-like weather.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM

I wasn't aware that the WGN supremacy was due to a person rather than a departmental policy. Is Tom the one who comes across like a friendly old engineer? I don't know how to describe him and I'm too lazy to get a photo in here, but I think I know who you're talking about because he's the face of WGN weathercasts in my mind's eye.

The Weather Channel is so weird. They make more mistakes than a new station in a small town, they constantly interrupt the forecasts with ads, can't get their timing down, can't get their graphics to work consistently, and they seem to dumb down everything to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Worse than that, TWC now contains very little weather information during prime time, favoring sensationalist stories about disasters that have NOTHING to do with current weather. Most of those "documentaries" are just rubber-necking at tragedies instead of providing useful information or education. A truly sad waste of a great idea. I love TWC at about 2 AM when they have Dave Schwartz delivering straight-forward weather forecasts in his friendly style. Don't know if he's even with them any more, I haven't had cable for about 6 months because I couldn't find anything interesting on all those extra channels, but I'll get cable again in time for football season.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM

Yep, that sounds like Tom alright. Super-friendly and incredibly knowledgeable.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This is way I miss getting my weather

Crazy Weather Man Video

and
Crazy Weatherman Video
I miss Mark Mathis! He was the reason I started watching Fox Charlotte! I remember watching one of his weather forecasts that never even mentioned the weather. He was hilarious!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
We have an AWESOME weather team here at WTVT Fox 13 in Tampa. Even their web coverage is good. MyFox Tampa Bay | Weather Home (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Weather;jsessionid=B3292EBE12C179F2DBC650D737FE7C5 6?pageId=9.1 - broken link) It is a huge site, and sometimes loads a little slow.

I recently spent some time in the Augusta, GA TV area and was stunned to see that there are stations who still use a radar with a "sweep". I was so used to seeing the latest version of VIPIR and having McIdas satellite that I almost could not watch the weather up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather