Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Its been a rough night here in northeast Tennessee! We had four different tornado warnings and two different severe storm warnings within a 4 hour range in our county alone! There have been reports of windows knocked out of homes and cars and even houses destroyed 40 miles to our southwest. Greene Co, has 3 confirmed fatalities already. Its been a scary night for us, as well as MOST everyone in the southeast (and the east in general, as bad weather was even up in the northeast). I hope everyone is OK.

It was very scary when Dr Forbes on TWC had even zoomed in on our area and showed the hook echo heading right for my house! I freaked out, I had not dont that in awhile. We lost power twice, once for an hour and again for 30 minutes.

This was hail that was falling at my house with tornado warning #1!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM

88 posts, read 236,662 times
Our prayers are with you. Hope the weather improves in your area. Best wishes!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Yep, I've never seen a tornado and probably never will so I'm amazed reading about how destructive/deadly they are and how big your hailstones can be (and presumably they will have melted a bit before you took those photos). Hope the weather settles down sooner rather than later.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Must have been one scary night in Alabama/Georgia.

Must have been even scarier in Mississppi/Alabama yesterday afternoon.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Storms ravage South, kill at least 213 - Weather - msnbc.com

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Pardon me for being a bit callous, but I wonder, was the weatherman "paid to be wrong" yesterday?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Horrific. I saw the huge tornado near Birmingham on television yesterday and was horrified. Couldn't imagine what they were going through.

Article says 33 are dead in TN, 32 in MS, 14 in GA, 8 in VA, and 1 in KY. Didn't realize it was bad in Virginia.

There was a tornado warning here in Northern New Jersey, including in my county, briefly this afternoon, out of caution due to the severity of the storm that moved through, but fortunately there wasn't a touchdown. Nothing compared to what happend down south.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM

I am in northeast Tennessee, we had three confirmed tornadoes within a 40 mile radius of us. Very scary times. We went downstairs into the basement rooms for shelter. When Dr. Greg had zoomed in on our area and showed the ho...ok echo and we were in the warning, it was very scary. We didnt get a tornado here, but some areas in town had downed trees and widespread hail damage. Severe hail damage on the south side of town. Our local Honda/Nissan/Mazda/Suzuki dealership has over 900 cars completely destroyed! All cars had shattered glass and huge dents. Four other local dealers also had major damage. Local walmart on that side of town had shattered skylights, people were terrified. The west side of town was not hit as bad. To our northeast in Glade Spring Virginia a confirmed tornado did major damage as did one to our southwest in Greene County Tennessee. I think I last heard we have 25 fatalities in our area. We were lucky and only had hail damage to our cars. Counting our blessings and keeping everyone here and all in the country that has been effected by this storm in our prayers.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Article says 33 are dead in TN, 32 in MS, 14 in GA, 8 in VA, and 1 in KY. Didn't realize it was bad in Virginia.
Yeah, I am 9 miles south of the TN-VA state line. 30 miles to my northeast Glade Spring VA was hit hard with a confirmed tornado... check out this video!

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, I am 9 miles south of the TN-VA state line. 30 miles to my northeast Glade Spring VA was hit hard with a confirmed tornado... check out this video!

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Glad you're okay!

I can't imagine the suffering one goes through when their town is pretty much torn to pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather