Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate This Climate: Miami, FL
A 21 20.39%
B 27 26.21%
C 17 16.50%
D 10 9.71%
F 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,241,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
You think Miami is too hot in summer? Orlando is an oven!! While Miami only has highs over 90 for 63 days out of the year, Orlando has them for 105. Orlando has no ocean to moderate it and very little sea breeze. It has slightly cooler winters due to the slightly more inland location and occasional cold fronts that never reach Miami , but do pass over Orlando. Orlando is pretty miserable climate-wise, imo. If you like Orlando because it "has snow", you're in for a rude awakening.
I too live in Miami. The summer comparison between Orlando and Miami is a little misleading. Yes, on average Orlando is hotter than Miami in the summer. Stats showing 63 days above 90 degrees in Miami compared to 105 days in Orlando. However, the actual difference on the average high is only about 1 degrees. On those summer days that the highs do not reach 90 in Miami it is probably 89 or 88.

June average hi/low- Orlando-91/71; Miami- 90/75
July average hi/low- Orlando- 92/73; Miami- 91/77
August average- Orlando- 92/73; Miami- 91/76
September- Orlando- 90/72; Miami- 89/76

By looking at those stats, Orlando actually cools down more than Miami in the evenings and mornings.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,241,706 times
My favorite time of the year in Miami is Dec., Jan, and Feb. It is dry, cool, and sunny.

From May-Oct. it is hot in Miami. June through the end of Sep. is usually the hottest time of the year with July and August being the worse. Generally, June and Sep. is similar, and July and August is similar.

April is usually a transitional month depending on the year. This year, April has been hot with the high being above 85 most days. Last year was nice, but last April was the exception to the rule as we had mornings in the 50s and 60s with highs in the mid/upper 70s, and maybe a few days in the lower 80s.

Generally, from begininning of May-end of Sep./early Oct it is HOT!!! Still hot through Oct., but one can notice a gradual and subtle change in the temperatures especially in the mornings. If I was a snowbird, I will probably be in Miami from Nov.-mid or late April. Come May I will be gone. June, July, August, and most of Sep. it is simply not nice. It is too hot, it rains alot, too many bugs, and it is uncomfortable to be out most of the day.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,603,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What is keeping you in Vancouver? You seem really enamored of hot climates, and not very pleased with your current climate situation. You should consider moving elsewhere.
Yes, I really do love hot climates. I have travelled extensively and I've always loved the weather when I was in the tropics even during the hot season.

I have a job here in Vancouver and my wife here who loves this city and so I'll stay here for now. As a city, I actually do really like Vancouver. It's a very livable city. It's just I don't really like the weather that much.
I actually spent a year overseas in Shenzhen in Southern China just across from Hong Kong quite a few years back. I really really loved the weather there but everything else about the city I really didn't like. After a year, I decided to come back to Canada as I didn't have any other job options and spent all the money I had.
So, it just goes to show that you can really love the weather in a place and still not like anything about the city.

If I was offered a decent job somewhere like Miami, Honolulu or Singapore, I would be on the first plane out of here. I've been trying to convince my wife to move somewhere else in the future but she doesn't seem too keen.. I'll keep trying and see what happens

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM

14,287 posts, read 14,532,627 times
Vancouver is an awesome city, love visiting there. Hard thing though having a job somewhere, liking other climates, family & friends, not so easy to just pick up and move!

I didn't move until I was done working, never would have been able to find a decent paying job here in NE Wisc. and if my folks were still living, I would be in Illinois. My dad has been gone awhile but he needed me living nearby and my sister was in Illinois, too but eventually we both left the state. We're both cooler weather types, like to visit but would never live in a perpetually warm climate.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,854,907 times
To me the winter weather in Miami is great. When I first get off the plane in mid-January and hear the wind rustling thru the palm trees, see all the blooming flowers, and walk out of the airport into the warm air I just feel really euphoric. The weather in winter there is close to perfect.

Summer, however, is close to unbearable. I remember just constantly looking for shade, being sweat soaked all the time, and just feeling miserable. I also remember freezing all the time I was inside over-cooled buildings. I got caught once in a massive thunderstorm, got drenched, then went into a freezing theatre. I ended up with a nasty cold.

There is no comparison between summer in my region vs south FL. And the seabreeze, fughetaboutit. It is meaningless in that kind of scorching direct overhead sun and humidity. I give Miami an A in winter and a D in summer. Overall rating is a B-.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,310,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I too live in Miami. The summer comparison between Orlando and Miami is a little misleading. Yes, on average Orlando is hotter than Miami in the summer. Stats showing 63 days above 90 degrees in Miami compared to 105 days in Orlando. However, the actual difference on the average high is only about 1 degrees. On those summer days that the highs do not reach 90 in Miami it is probably 89 or 88.

June average hi/low- Orlando-91/71; Miami- 90/75
July average hi/low- Orlando- 92/73; Miami- 91/77
August average- Orlando- 92/73; Miami- 91/76
September- Orlando- 90/72; Miami- 89/76

By looking at those stats, Orlando actually cools down more than Miami in the evenings and mornings.
Not to mention too that Orlando is further inland, while Miami is closer to the ocean. The "ocean breezes" create a different feel to the temperature.

I also noticed that cities more closely approximated to the beach tend to have smaller night-day temperature ranges. Cities further away from the beach tend to get hotter during the day, but cooler at night than do cities closer to the beach.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,032,511 times
I've been to Miami several times and can tell you that the summer time is real hot and humid as hell. The only place you will find a breeze in close to the water, get a few miles inland and the air does not move and the heat will eat you alive. I think it has something to do with you being closer to the equator. And I'm use to heat and humility being that I live in New Orleans.

busta

Old 05-02-2011, 03:49 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,870,235 times
I am surprised about all these people complaining about the Miami weather/climate. Come on now, heat (below 100 degrees) is better and easier to deal with than cold and freezing weather. I like warm/hot temperatures and rather deal with that than cold freezing temperatures.

Anyways, I give an A- for Miami's weather/climate! I wish more of the USA geographically got more of that tropical/subtropical warmth. But I am glad there are still areas of the USA with lots of snow and mountains and some of that cold stuff. But just for it to be contained in a smaller area.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,163,640 times
Try living and working (really working-not sitting in some air conditioned office counting paper clips) in it day after day after day after day.....

Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,079,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I am surprised about all these people complaining about the Miami weather/climate. Come on now, heat (below 100 degrees) is better and easier to deal with than cold and freezing weather. I like warm/hot temperatures and rather deal with that than cold freezing temperatures.

Anyways, I give an A- for Miami's weather/climate! I wish more of the USA geographically got more of that tropical/subtropical warmth. But I am glad there are still areas of the USA with lots of snow and mountains and some of that cold stuff. But just for it to be contained in a smaller area.
Heh..speak for yourself. 100 degrees or 30? Give me 30 EVERY time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather