Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
A 17 19.10%
B 19 21.35%
C 8 8.99%
D 8 8.99%
E 4 4.49%
F 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,589,222 times

Advertisements

If they could find a cheap and environmentally friendly way to build desalinization plants, then most of the water issues in drought stricken areas of the world could be solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Wow. This one of the worst rated climates posted.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I'll say. 3341 hours of sun, that's around 840 hrs more than the record low set in 1965!
Looks like (judging by current models) a change in weather patterns soon as westerly lows starts marching northwards. No rain has fallen so far this month in the city and apparently daily maximums are running 3 degrees above average.
I hope so, it's nearly mid May and barely a cold front in sight! This lack of a depression is bringing on depression in me, lol.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,555,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wow. This one of the worst rated climates posted.
The F-ratings are inflated (see earlier comment).

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

175 posts, read 322,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
And the winter cold, far colder than most people would believe, and in these poorly insulated houses, it feels colder. Besides, if it's going to be that cold, it may as well drop a few more degrees and give us some snow to play in to make it worth it.
I always wonder about this. I've never lived in Australia (or Hong Kong, Delhi, Bogota, or any other places with mild winter) during the winter time, so I never knew how it feels like to live in a poorly insulated house when the temperature is below 50 degrees.

I mean, you would have to be completely mental to insist on proper insulation and central heating for your hourse, only for the merely two months of 'winter' (while the remaining ten months are scorching hot). Most North American houses are properly insulated, and centrally heated, so we never freeze our asses off indoor (while the outside can be below zero, inside it's always 70 - 75 degrees).

I really hate wearing sweater inside, but apparently, if you live in this kind of climate, you would have no choice but to be properly dressed at ALL times, which is not a big deal for most people (but it is for me).

Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
I always wonder about this. I've never lived in Australia (or Hong Kong, Delhi, Bogota, or any other places with mild winter) during the winter time, so I never knew how it feels like to live in a poorly insulated house when the temperature is below 50 degrees.

I mean, you would have to be completely mental to insist on proper insulation and central heating for your hourse, only for the merely two months of 'winter' (while the remaining ten months are scorching hot). Most North American houses are properly insulated, and centrally heated, so we never freeze our asses off indoor (while the outside can be below zero, inside it's always 70 - 75 degrees).

I really hate wearing sweater inside, but apparently, if you live in this kind of climate, you would have no choice but to be properly dressed at ALL times, which is not a big deal for most people (but it is for me).
I know what you mean. During winter here we have frosts every other night and it barely gets into double digits during the day. I have a fan heater that I run for 15 mins every hour and the sun provides modest warmth as well (when it is shining). But I need to wear long pants and a jersey at home and go to bed early. Getting up in the morning is the hardest part, when it's 5 C in your room. Despite the winters here being much milder than in much of North America, it generally feels much colder due to the poorly insulated houses (which you can still expect to pay a king's ransom for).

Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM

497 posts, read 1,082,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I know what you mean. During winter here we have frosts every other night and it barely gets into double digits during the day. I have a fan heater that I run for 15 mins every hour and the sun provides modest warmth as well (when it is shining). But I need to wear long pants and a jersey at home and go to bed early. Getting up in the morning is the hardest part, when it's 5 C in your room. Despite the winters here being much milder than in much of North America, it generally feels much colder due to the poorly insulated houses (which you can still expect to pay a king's ransom for).
5 C. That is brutal! Some of the houses I work in during winter are like that. It's far nicer to have smoko outside. I designed/built our own place with winter in mind. This morning without the fire going, the temp is 19.3 c

Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,336,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope so, it's nearly mid May and barely a cold front in sight! This lack of a depression is bringing on depression in me, lol.
LOL. Totally gel with you mate! If it's really bad - may have to think of moving to the east coast to get away from the awful dry & sunny weather.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,336,028 times
At long last Perth's had some decent falls, with around 50mm falling, from those two fronts . Not record breaking but at least the driest May has been averted.
A tornado has struck Canning Vale: Perth Now | Breaking News from Perth and Western Australia | PerthNow
Too bad the next fat ugly high will ensure no westerly fronts will hit Perth over the next week or so

Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,555,673 times
Time for a dry sunny winter Perth break then - unfortunately can't manage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather