Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
75 is 75 is 75, no matter what the humidity is. The whole "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" thing? BS.
So untrue its not even funny. Ever hear of a heat index?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Your point is garbage. We all adapt to whatever we are exposed to. Last year I was at my neices wedding at the Royal York hotel in Toronto. It was mid June and about 70F or so. There were a bunch of lily white people from Texas sitting in the lobby. The Ladies had coats on and they were still shivering and complaining how awful the cold was.
One of the hottest places in the world is North Africa, How is it that the majority of the people are white? If they were blacks would they tolerate the heat better? Of course they would not.
At one time I used to work in a nuclear station. It was always 100 F or more at work. I had to have a big down duvet on my bed even in the summer because I was so used to the heat I got cold very easily. The winters were horrible for all of us who worked there. One guy that I worked with had to transfer to an outside job because the heat was causing him health problems. Guess what??? He was a black guy. What was wrong with him? After all his ancesters came from a real hot place. Well the fact that he had been born and raised in Canada might have something to do with it. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!
It applies to other species. Take tigers. Tigers, even of same species, show variation. Bengal tigers in the northern range have thicker fur than those who live in the southern range. So I don't see why it's so far-fetched to note that humans also vary in their adaptability to climate. Blacks also have wider noses which they say is better adapted to breathing moist air, while whites who originated in the steppes and deserts have narrower nostrils designed for breathing in dry air. Not sure if it's true but it makes sense.

Most North Africans aren't really 'white.' They share some Caucasoid features, but the average Moroccan is actually not too different from the average African American in skin darkness, being about as dark as Will Smith or Beyonce. They often also have kinky (not just curly) hair which is more like Sub-Saharan African than White. They'd be one of the 'in-between' groups that show that races aren't inflexible categories but merely degrees of difference. And also most of those who actually live in the Sahara are even darker...

Old 05-08-2011, 08:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No joke. I sweat buckets at work. Because I actually work, instead of sitting behind a desk.
That's not what I was referring to....

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
but the average Moroccan is actually not too different from the average African American in skin darkness, being about as dark as Will Smith or Beyonce.
Don't want to get into a discussion about the politics of race identity (on a weather forum), but the "average" African American has also non-trivial European ancestry (I think something like 15%). Self-identification has a lot to do with this, as usually Americans perceive a mixed black-white person to be just identified as black (this wouldn't necessarily be true in a lot of countries).

But anyways, on your topic, there may be small influences based on people's genetic background in the past, but by far it is probably swamped by the massive cultural/technological influences we know of, and are familiar with now.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 05-08-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Don't want to get into a discussion about the politics of race identity (on a weather forum), but the "average" African American has also non-trivial European ancestry (I think something like 15%). Self-identification has a lot to do with this, as usually Americans perceive a mixed black-white person to be just identified as black (this wouldn't necessarily be true in a lot of countries).

But anyways, on your topic, there may be small influences based on people's genetic background in the past, but by far it is probably swamped by the massive cultural/technological influences we know of, and are familiar with now.
I do agree, though. Our similarities are more than our differences, and in terms of temperature tolerance even Inuits probably have a natural preference to warmth, even if they have adapted from the cold.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That's not what I was referring to....
Then what were you referring to? The fact that it DOES get cold in Florida during the winter?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
So untrue its not even funny. Ever hear of a heat index?
Yes, I've heard that tripe. It's BS.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,280 times
That's so funny. You give it different names to a same event. When it's hot you call it "heat index" and when it's cool it's "windchill". I know both as only "termic sensation", which is when your body feels another temp. that isn't same as officially recorded.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I do agree, though. Our similarities are more than our differences, and in terms of temperature tolerance even Inuits probably have a natural preference to warmth, even if they have adapted from the cold.
Another thing about this topic could be that you have might have to experience a lot of different climates to find out that you don't like the one you're raised/born it.

You mention in the start of the thread that there are places like Africa and India that are hotter than the American south, but many of those people might not have gotten the chance to travel and the tropics might've been all they've known whereas an average American presumably has had more experience with the climates of more than one state and can compare to each which one he/she likes best.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 05-08-2011 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
That's so funny. You give it different names to a same event. When it's hot you call it "heat index" and when it's cool it's "windchill". I know both as only "termic sensation", which is when your body feels another temp. that isn't same as officially recorded.
And there is more than one way of calculating it too! In Canada, they use the humidex (that uses dew point) which is different from the heat index (uses relative humidity) but I'm never looked at a comparison (they say the humidex way makes the "feels like" temperature a bit hotter though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather