Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,159,841 times

Advertisements

Tough choice. San Francisco and Seattle are comfortable year-round, but I imagine I would get somewhat bored, at least in SF. Having mountains that get tons of snow nearby could make up for that though.

I'd be happy with B, though I think I might choose A. I'll deal with the summers as long as there is a guaranteed winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,831,832 times
Having lived nearly all my life in a Seattle-like climate, I find with time passing that it's getting old, I'd like to live in a more contrasted climate, continental or tropical.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,863,427 times
Just poking my head into the conversation to add my thoughts on the previous San Francisco comments. I find San Francisco to be cold (like bone chilling at times), not "moderate" at all. I don't like the fact that in July you have to "layer" your clothes because it goes from cold to warm and back to cold, all in 8 hours. I froze my butt off in September because of the wind chill. A pretty city it is, but I would never choose to live there because of the weather. Anyway, my point is I don't believe it is a moderate (temp-wise) city.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,442,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just poking my head into the conversation to add my thoughts on the previous San Francisco comments. I find San Francisco to be cold (like bone chilling at times), not "moderate" at all. I don't like the fact that in July you have to "layer" your clothes because it goes from cold to warm and back to cold, all in 8 hours. I froze my butt off in September because of the wind chill. A pretty city it is, but I would never choose to live there because of the weather. Anyway, my point is I don't believe it is a moderate (temp-wise) city.
In the winter, it IS moderate.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,527,076 times
SF JUST BECAUSE I can grow something in between...tropicals would die with cold and temperate plants would melt in the heat, OTHERWISE I HATE SF.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,442,362 times
I've been to SF ... it is not so bad. Yes you have too keep a hoodie with you even in the summer but during the day when the sun is out (and it usually is), it's warm enough for short sleeves. On the plus side, you have beautiful blue dome skies on most days (once the morning fog is burnt off), low humidity, and nights cool enough to sleep comfortably without ever needing AC. If you want heat, take drive inland across the bay.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,795,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
For real? The average highs in SF in all but two months are in the 60s or 70s, and the two that aren't are in the very high 50s. Lowest average low 46 degrees in January, which is Seattle's average high for that same month.

Today here in Seattle, I went to the beach, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and the reported temperature was only 58 degrees. Felt just fine to me!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,831,832 times
As an European, I find SF warm : I went there early October, I swam on the beach near the GG Bridge, it was constantly sunny, with temperatures in the 70's, with huge Phoenix palm trees everywhere, you've got that in the extreme south of Europe only, proof that the climate is very mild.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,321,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
For real? The average highs in SF in all but two months are in the 60s or 70s, and the two that aren't are in the very high 50s. Lowest average low 46 degrees in January, which is Seattle's average high for that same month.

Today here in Seattle, I went to the beach, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and the reported temperature was only 58 degrees. Felt just fine to me!
You’re right. According to the NWS San Fran...only three months have average highs that are not above 59 F. On the other hand...many cities in the USA have no months of the year that the average high is below 60 F (LA, Phoenix, New Orleans, Orlando,...etc).

Overall, I agree, SF is not a bad climate. The coolness of summer is really the only drawback.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,519,670 times
For me, good variety comes about from different weather conditions rather than extreme or contrasting temperatures. In that regard some of the "mediocre" climates are anything but.

I still find heat waves exciting though (anything over 30C), although heat afternoon would be a better description for what we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather