Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in?
Miami 37 49.33%
Rio de Janeiro 38 50.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,311,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Where did you get that data from? It's totally wrong. Lowest temperature on 2010, officially recorded, was 48F(9,3ºC), on August 18th. You shouldn't believe database got from overseas sites. When I want to look into USA's temps, I always run into american sites, not brazilian ones.

Complete database from cold mass under question:
Location Rio de Janeiro. From Aug. 12th to Aug 18th. Official ones:
12-08 84F/51F
13-08 91F/57F
14-08 82F/62F
15-08 66F/59F
16-08 71F/55F
17-08 75F/53F
18-08 78F/48F

See the big range of temperatures? That's how Rio's climate works. Lows in the 50's in the morning, and fast heating through afternoon, reaching up to 90's. Unlike Rio, Miami got high/low close to each other.

Actually, Asagi posted that comment (see above).... not me.

As far as the range of temps, or how the day warms quickly after a cool morning…it is much the same in Miami. The range in Rio averages about 25 F or so (based on what you have above). While the lows seem lower in Miami…and the highs are lower….the range seems about the same (about 25 F or so). A night that has a temp fall to 48 F…will have a day time temp over 70 F/21 most of the time. This past January a bit colder than normal in Miami, (4 nights below 50 F/10 C), so there are a few good examples:

1-13-11…45/67 F
1-14-11…49/71 F
1-22-11….48/72 F
1-23-11…44/70 F

Most of the nights that fell into the low 50’s made it to the low/mid 70’s that same day…while most of the nights that fell into the low 60’s made it to the 80’s. So the temp range seemed pretty steady…about a 20 - 25 F daily range or so.

Preliminary Monthly Climate Data/January 2011 :National Weather Service Climate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,523,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Actually, Asagi posted that comment (see above).... not me.

As far as the range of temps, or how the day warms quickly after a cool morning…it is much the same in Miami. The range in Rio averages about 25 F or so (based on what you have above). While the lows seem lower in Miami…and the highs are lower….the range seems about the same (about 25 F or so). A night that has a temp fall to 48 F…will have a day time temp over 70 F/21 most of the time. This past January a bit colder than normal in Miami, (4 nights below 50 F/10 C), so there are a few good examples:

1-13-11…45/67 F
1-14-11…49/71 F
1-22-11….48/72 F
1-23-11…44/70 F

Most of the nights that fell into the low 50’s made it to the low/mid 70’s that same day…while most of the nights that fell into the low 60’s made it to the 80’s. So the temp range seemed pretty steady…about a 20 - 25 F daily range or so.

Preliminary Monthly Climate Data/January 2011 :National Weather Service Climate

How was this past January colder then average in Miami? Seems pretty normal to me. Rio still doesn't see the extreme cold snaps Miami does, even if "normal" temperatures are similar. Rio has never been below 40F, while Miami has dropped below freezing at least 3 or 4 times in the last 50 years.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:04 PM

51 posts, read 147,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
How was this past January colder then average in Miami? Seems pretty normal to me. Rio still doesn't see the extreme cold snaps Miami does, even if "normal" temperatures are similar. Rio has never been below 40F, while Miami has dropped below freezing at least 3 or 4 times in the last 50 years.
Rio lowest temperature ever recorded was 4.8 c,this was very unusual and happened a long time ago,Rio does get cold fronts from the antartida causing frequent changes as in Miami,I never heard about freezes in MIAMI that should be an extreme rare event,if you are in Miami Beach It never freezes..when we talk about climates we should compare averages not records that are very rare and they don't really count as they will happen once in a lifetime..
all tropical climates near the edge of the tropics,Rio is very inside the tropics,Miami is a little ouside,will get some moderate cold at some point,but the cold is very short and its almost nothing comparing to some place at a higher lat in Europe,Canada or the North part of the USA..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM

678 posts, read 1,200,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabro View Post
Rio lowest temperature ever recorded was 4.8 c,this was very unusual and happened a long time ago,Rio does get cold fronts from the antartida causing frequent changes as in Miami,I never heard about freezes in MIAMI that should be an extreme rare event,if you are in Miami Beach It never freezes..when we talk about climates we should compare averages not records that are very rare and they don't really count as they will happen once in a lifetime..
all tropical climates near the edge of the tropics,Rio is very inside the tropics,Miami is a little ouside,will get some moderate cold at some point,but the cold is very short and its almost nothing comparing to some place at a higher lat in Europe,Canada or the North part of the USA..
Actually it's important to consider records as well because it's a good way to measure the strength of cold masses on both sides. We must also recognize that extreme events always happens on north hemisphere, especially in USA as down here climate is turning warmer and every chance to see something similar kind of disappears. And last, Miami had a freeze, if I'm not wrong it happened along with 1977' blizzard.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Freezes and near freezing events in Miami Beach:
January 2010: 34*F
December 1989: 32*F
January 1985: 34*F
December 1983: 34*F
February 1980: 32*F
January 1977: 32*F
http://nowdata.rcc-acis.org/MFL/pubACIS_results

Old 05-28-2011, 02:34 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabro View Post
Um...I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain could figure that out

Extremes are important in determining how cold an arctic airmass is, any average joe could know what the "average weather" is for their area, but it's meteorologists job to keep track of all the extremes and to warn people of extreme weather that could potentially happen.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Current conditions in Rio de Janeiro:

Overcast 64F
Humidity: 77%

High: 69F/ Low: 57F =Today.

Weather Forecast(according to National Institute of Meteorology (http://http://www.inmet.gov.br/html/prev_tempo.php?lnk=../prev_clima_tempo/capitais_p.html - broken link))
Sunday: scattered showers turning to overcast.
High: 77F
Low: 53F

Monday: From overcast to partly cloudy
High: 80F
Low: 50F

Tuesday: mist, clean sky at afternoon
High: 82F

A bit cooler, don't you think?

Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Current conditions in Rio de Janeiro:

Overcast 64F
Humidity: 77%

High: 69F/ Low: 57F =Today.

Weather Forecast(according to National Institute of Meteorology (http://http://www.inmet.gov.br/html/prev_tempo.php?lnk=../prev_clima_tempo/capitais_p.html - broken link))
Sunday: scattered showers turning to overcast.
High: 77F

Monday: From overcast to partly cloudy
High: 80F
Low: 50F

Tuesday: mist, clean sky at afternoon
High: 82F

A bit cooler, don't you think?
Yes, a lot like a Miami winter during a weaker cold front...it'll be interesting if Rio drops below 45*F.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 PM

51 posts, read 147,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Um...I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain could figure that out

Extremes are important in determining how cold an arctic airmass is, any average joe could know what the "average weather" is for their area, but it's meteorologists job to keep track of all the extremes and to warn people of extreme weather that could potentially happen.
A lot of people don't realise that,give me anytime those extreme cold spells that you have in Miami,than the FREEZING cold spells that I suffered when I live in Europe and in Boston that's real cold!after living in Miami you get used to the warm weather i could never live again in freezing europe even in the mediterrenean areas it gets much colder than Miami

Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yes, a lot like a Miami winter during a weaker cold front...it'll be interesting if Rio drops below 45*F.
But this one won't be the worst cold over Brazil. It's just the winter's outbreak. As it goes by, I'll send updates about conditions in Rio.

And, even if we get a brutal cold, it'll be hard for Rio to get 45F. Perhaps a 48F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather