U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM

85 posts, read 91,669 times

Advertisements

What nc cities have the warmest winters and no snow
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,754,610 times
The warmest winters in North Carolina are found in southeastern NC around Wilmington. Normally snow is close to zero. Their NWS site has Wilmington with a long term average of 2 inches of snow annually. However, that is an average of years with more snow and years with zero snow. Also, the data below uses the 1970's...which was one of the coldest winters in the last 100 years in the USA. I have been to/passed through southeastern NC many times in the cold season, and snow on the ground or in the air is very, very rare.

As far as temps, I think metro Wilmington would be the warmest in the upper 50's in January, Dec/Feb would be near 60 F. The rest of the year (the other 9 months) would be in the 70's and 80's ....

National Weather Service Climate

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM

6,011 posts, read 3,045,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
The warmest winters in North Carolina are found in southeastern NC around Wilmington. Normally snow is close to zero. Their NWS site has Wilmington with a long term average of 2 inches of snow annually. However, that is an average of years with more snow and years with zero snow. Also, the data below uses the 1970's...which was one of the coldest winters in the last 100 years in the USA. I have been to/passed through southeastern NC many times in the cold season, and snow on the ground or in the air is very, very rare.

As far as temps, I think metro Wilmington would be the warmest in the upper 50's in January, Dec/Feb would be near 60 F. The rest of the year (the other 9 months) would be in the 70's and 80's ....

National Weather Service Climate

More like one winter you will have an average high of 70 in Jan, and the next winter the avg high for Jan will be 40. Averages are overblown in the eastern US in winter. Take them with a grain of salt. Wilmington gets pretty cold in winter, along with the rest of NC. No shorts and t-shirts days that is for sure. You can't escape ol man winter in the eastern US, even in FL.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,754,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
More like one winter you will have an average high of 70 in Jan, and the next winter the avg high for Jan will be 40. Averages are overblown in the eastern US in winter. Take them with a grain of salt. Wilmington gets pretty cold in winter, along with the rest of NC. No shorts and t-shirts days that is for sure. You can't escape ol man winter in the eastern US, even in FL.
Show me the data to back up what you say?

You seem to only want to take the low side of averages.

The OP made no referece to what is cold or not (-20 F, 55 F...etc ?). Wilmington is MUCH warmer than Philly in winter

You can't escape old man winter in Florida. Ha, do you even live in the United States? I guess that's why 6 million tourists head to Florida in winter - it must be as cold as Philly

Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,913,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Show me the data to back up what you say?

You seem to only want to take the low side of averages.

The OP made no referece to what is cold or not (-20 F, 55 F...etc ?). Wilmington is MUCH warmer than Philly in winter

You can't escape old man winter in Florida. Ha, do you even live in the United States? I guess that's why 6 million tourists head to Florida in winter - it must be as cold as Philly
Sigh... Wavehunter has taken to arguing with his own smurf account now.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

861 posts, read 796,391 times
Even Key West isn't immune...6 days with lows in the 40sF and highs under 65F (one day got to 72F). History : Weather Underground

Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 PM

10,734 posts, read 5,984,502 times
Wilmington has very variable winters. I have relatives who live not too far south in Myrtle Beach. They were surprised at how cold and nasty winters can get down there.

January 2011 was actually colder than January 2010 in Wilmington. And of course there was the record cold of December 2010. Here's January 2004, which illustrates how wacky the weather can be: History : Weather Underground

Yes, average highs are in the 50s, but the weather can be all over the place.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM

6,011 posts, read 3,045,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Wilmington has very variable winters. I have relatives who live not too far south in Myrtle Beach. They were surprised at how cold and nasty winters can get down there.

January 2011 was actually colder than January 2010 in Wilmington. And of course there was the record cold of December 2010. Here's January 2004, which illustrates how wacky the weather can be: History : Weather Underground

Yes, average highs are in the 50s, but the weather can be all over the place.
You don't have to tell me. I've wasted a holiday down there freezing in winter. When a hugh arctic front comes thru, the temp differences between NC and PA are not large at all.

Wavehunter would have people on this board thinking the south is a winter sub-tropical paradise similiar to more reliable and stable climates world wide. It is just not the case due to the arrival of an arctic front at anytime in winter. Averages mislead people when it comes to winter weather there. People don't view southern China as a winter getaway due to the cold, and neither should they view the US south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather