Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,590,455 times

Advertisements

A few things spring to mind as favourites to me, first one being sunny mornings just after the first snowfall of the year when everything looks so still and clean and bright and different and how it muffles sound. I'm not a fan of snow in the city though (particularly this one) because of how it quickly gets churned up and dirty and causes such chaos.

Another one has to be the first proper sunny day in spring after a dull winter when you suddenly realise the sun's got much higher in the sky and the light much brighter since the last time you saw a clear day, and you can actually feel some strength in the sun's rays for the first time in months.

Third one would be autumn storms, with gale-force winds ripping brown leaves off trees and blowing in squally showers of heavy diagonal rain. Proper weather, puts colour in your cheeks and makes you feel so alive

Least favourite would have to be anticyclonic gloom, when high pressure comes and basically squashes a layer of low cloud on top of us in winter, so until it shifts we can literally have the same grey cloud 1000-1500ft over us for a week with no rain or sun, and boring 5C highs and 4C lows. The last thing you want when it comes to February or March and it seems like the weather's already been like that for months.

Running it a close second would have to be unsettled, cool weather in summer. It's noticeably much better (or less bad) down here than up north in the summer but you can still get summer days below 20C with mostly leaden skies, gusty winds, showery rain or boring drizzle. Certainly up north this isn't that far from average, but you still feel cheated having to wear a jacket in the middle of July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,193,019 times
My favorite thing about Mississippi's climate is the occasional snowfall. It looks almost taiga-like to see forests of longleaf and loblolly pines covered in snow.

My least favorite aspect is the long summer, obviously. Honorable mention goes to the guaranteed few days of highs in the upper 70s/low 80s (25-28 C) in the middle of the winter. It's a nice way to remind me how much I hate this climate.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,731,164 times
Least favorite is the amout of snow we get. I HATE dealing with shoveling it and all the travel headaches it causes. I can deal with the cold since I have plenty of layers and a NICE parka, but the snow---no way!

Most favorite by far is all the overcast, rainy, foggy and dreary weather we get since I LOVE flying in weather like that (instrument rated of course). In fact 6 of the past 9 days we have had cloud ceilings less than 1000 ft and 3 of those days the bases have been <500 ft---absolutly PERFECT for flying! We also get a fair amount of t-storms so getting flying experience dealing with the boomers is good (AVOIDANCE is key, NOT flying throught them!)

My favoite non-aviation weather we get is probably the H&H weather we get in July and Aug. I love a day with temps in the high 80's or low 90's with the dewpoints in the lower 70's!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,597,845 times
Least favourite is the winter... I wish our winters were much warmer and drier....

Most favourite is the summer... sunny days and relatively mild temperatures.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,149,866 times
Favorite: The nor'easters that bring strong winds, heavy rain, and or blizzards. I love the falls and winters up here.

Least: A bit too sunny and the summers are slightly too warm and humid for me. They're not horrible, but I'd say a good month or so total for the year will require A/C, longer on the hotter years.

If I could, I'd knock off about 500 hours of sunshine and 5-10 F off the summer averages.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,170,539 times
Favorite: Summer nights are spectacular. Summer mornings are also clear and beautiful.

Worst: Winter lasts far too long. It isn't particularly severe, but the cold sticks around way too long. Spring is too cold.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,349,077 times
Favourite: Variability in weather. Can be affected by any type of weather (though fairly watered down compared with other countries). Any airmass can affect it at any time of year. One April/July/November or whatever can be totally opposite compared to the one before.

Least favourite: Drizzly nature of rainfall, consistent coolness, excessive cloud cover, lack of convective weather inc. T-storms, no summer warmth.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,404,619 times
Least favorite for summer: too hot and humid

Least favorite for winter: not enough snow or cold weather

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,028,614 times
Favorite: four equal, distinct seasons with a little of everything.

Least favorite: Snow doesn't fall in steady, small doses. It seems to fall in large blizzards these days.

Second least favorite: autumn allergies

Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,270,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Least favorite for summer: too hot and humid

Least favorite for winter: not enough snow or cold weather
I agree, wayyyyyyyyyy to hot and humid almost all year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather