U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM

766 posts, read 1,049,742 times
Default Coldest big cities in the world

What are the coldest big cities in the world? I'm not talking about Barrow Alaska, or Alert Nunavut, I mean actual cities, with cultural institutions, skyscrapers, etc. What do you think? If you can bring in weather data to support your pick that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

4,756 posts, read 4,650,252 times
These are the coldest major populated cities in the world for how cold, long, and severe their winters are:

Irkutsk, Russia(600,000)

Ulan Bator, Mongolia(1.2 million people live there)

Harbin, China(5 million people live here)

Urumqi China(2 million people)

Winnipeg Canada(600,000 people live there)

Calgary Canada(1 million)

Regina Canada(300,000)

Saskatoon Canada(200,00)

Edmonton Canada (600,000)

Murmansk, Russia(300,000)

Moscow Russia(11.5 million people)

Minneapolis USA(400,000)

However, almost all of those cities I listed above gets some warmth in their summers. (With the exceptions of Murmansk, Ulan Bator and Calgary that still can be kind of cold in their summers).

These are the coldest major populated cities in the world for being kind of cold for the winter, spring, and fall, and for the lack of warmth it gets in their summers:

Reykjavik, Iceland(150,000 people)

La Paz, Bolivia(900,000)

Anchorage Alaska(300,000)

Dublin, Ireland(1 million)

Glasgow Scotland(600,000)

Edinburgh Scotland(600,000)

Calgary Canada(1 million)

Ulan Bator Mongolia(1.2 million)

Murmansk Russia(300,000)

Wow, just thinking about the cold weather these places get is making me feel very cold right now even though it is 80 degrees where I am right now! I could not live in the vast majority of those cities that I mentioned above because of weather reasons. Reykjavik Iceland might be the only exception.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-25-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,004,061 times
It seems like Murmansk is of decent size and is on the Arctic Ocean. Looking it up it says it's declined, but is still the largest city north of the Arctic circle. It's around 300,000 or so and here's links to some "panoramic views" of it.

File:Murmansk.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
File:Arctic Liberation.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

In July Murmansk apparently averages up to 17.2 degrees Celsius or 63 degrees Fahrenheit.

Anchorage, Alaska might be another city in the cold-zone. It's almost 300,000 in population.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Anchorage-Alaska.html

Irkutsk looks to have over 500,000 people. It gets warmer in the Summer than Murmansk, but its winters look to be more chilling as, although far to the Southeast of Murmansk, its in the interior of Siberia. Here's a photo gallery of it.

ROSJA - SYBERIA - OBWD IRKUCKI - IRKUCK

Note: I type slow so the above dealt with most of these and likely did so better than I. D'oh!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It seems like Murmansk is of decent size and is on the Arctic Ocean. Looking it up it says it's declined, but is still the largest city north of the Arctic circle. It's around 300,000 or so and here's links to some "panoramic views" of it.

File:Murmansk.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
File:Arctic Liberation.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

In July Murmansk apparently averages up to 17.2 degrees Celsius or 63 degrees Fahrenheit.

Anchorage, Alaska might be another city in the cold-zone. It's almost 300,000 in population.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Anchorage-Alaska.html

Irkutsk looks to have over 500,000 people. It gets warmer in the Summer than Murmansk, but its winters look to be more chilling as, although far to the Southeast of Murmansk, its in the interior of Siberia. Here's a photo gallery of it.

ROSJA - SYBERIA - OBWD IRKUCKI - IRKUCK

Note: I type slow so the above dealt with most of these and likely did so better than I. D'oh!
I feel like there are two different categories for "coldest major populated cities in the world." The first category is for how cold, long, and severe the winter is, and the second category is the lack of warmth in the summer months and still being kind of cold for the other months.

Because some of the cities that get the coldest, longest, and most severe winters can have summers that are kind of warm(Harbin, Urumqi, Moscow, Minneapolis, Irkutsk) and then other cities are not nearly as cold for their winters but have summers that lack warmth and have winters that are still cold(Reykjavik, La Paz, Anchorage) and then other cities that fall into both categories(Murmansk, Ulan Bator, Calgary).

I agree that Irkutsk and Murmansk Russia belong on the list!
How did you feel about the cities I had on my list?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM

5,575 posts, read 3,926,693 times
Norilsk (175,000) and Yakutsk (270,000) in Russia should not be missed... I think Norilsk is a bit worse as even though it does not get quite as cold as Yakutsk, it also has much worse summers:

Yakutsk:

Yakutsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norilsk:

Но€илŒск €” ’икипедия

If you can't read Russian, here is the climate for the nearby town of Dudinka:

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Dudinka, Russia - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information

Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM

24,693 posts, read 16,894,563 times
In terms of big cities (5 million plus) I believe Harbin would take it out. Below 1 million, Siberia is pock-marked with cities that are truly Arctic.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
I believe the coldest national capital is Pyongyang, and Seoul is also very cold.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I believe the coldest national capital is Pyongyang, and Seoul is also very cold.
Actually the coldest national capital in the world is Ulan Bator, Mongolia

Seoul's winter is cold but it is not very cold most of the time and it is kind of short. It definitely is not anywhere close to being one of the coldest major cities in the world. Seoul's winter is roughly as cold as New York City, Philadelphia, and Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In terms of big cities (5 million plus) I believe Harbin would take it out. Below 1 million, Siberia is pock-marked with cities that are truly Arctic.
In terms of big cities, Harbin is the coldest major city in the world for such a high population as well as Urumqi China which has 3 million people and is roughly as cold.

However, Moscow has 11 to 12 million people but it still seems to classify as one of the coldest major cities in the world. It is only a little bit warmer than Harbin.

Also Ulan Bator Mongolia has 1.2 million people and it gets the Siberian like winters because Siberia is just north of it and not that far away.

But yeah, there are cities in Siberia below 1 million with truly arctic winters and some of the coldest in the world. Irkutsk Russia is in that area of Siberia and it has 600,000 people.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,120,028 times
Certainly eastern Russian cities...and I'd say Fairbanks Alaska in the U.S...and anything high north in Canada.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,378,696 times
St. Petersburg, Russia along with other Russian citiea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather