U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
638 posts, read 476,201 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
24F is below freezing, is there a chance of snow the next night in Sao Joaquim ?
Not a one because there's no cloud covering over south of Brazil. There are high chances of frost only. This cold front is acting with its low pressure are mostly over sea. Cold air is penetrating all alone through southeast, take a look:



As you see, all clouds are over atlantic and polar mass is on continent.



This one shows rainfall, it's humid enough only at sea.


And this shows high pressure getting near brazil. Past this cold, all eyes will turn to that cold front that's hitting Chile. They say it will bring real cold to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
4,449 posts, read 3,382,229 times
Reputation: 2349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Not a one because there's no cloud covering over south of Brazil. There are high chances of frost only. This cold front is acting with its low pressure are mostly over sea. Cold air is penetrating all alone through southeast, take a look:



As you see, all clouds are over atlantic and polar mass is on continent.



This one shows rainfall, it's humid enough only at sea.


And this shows high pressure getting near brazil. Past this cold, all eyes will turn to that cold front that's hitting Chile. They say it will bring real cold to us.
What's "real cold" in your opinion then? I remember you saying you wanted to see a high below 10C for the first time in your life, or something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
638 posts, read 476,201 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
What's "real cold" in your opinion then? I remember you saying you wanted to see a high below 10C for the first time in your life, or something like that?
"Real cold" means general cold to me. For instance this cold spell we'll see tomorrow, it's affecting no places on midwest and south of amazon. It means about 80% of Brazil is still hot. Even temperatures aren't so low on southeast, where I live. Let's see what forecast shows for tomorrow on states' capitals and some cooler cities:

São Paulo: right now 57F. tomorrow 62F/44F
Rio de Janeiro: right now 66F. tomorrow 73F/53F
Porto Alegre: right now 53F. tomorrow 60F/41F
Curitiba: right now 51F. tomorrow 60F/33F
Rio Branco(amazon): now 84F. tomorrow 78F/60F
São Joaquim(coldest city): right now 35F. tomorrow 56F/24F

A real cold mass brings low below 50F to all cities I have pointed out. Even Rio Branco which is on south of amazon, and Rio de Janeiro, the heat hometown have lows in high 40's if cold is hard enough. To São Paulo, real cold is a high on mid-low 50's, not a 62F, the low is cold enough, because it's recorde at official city' station near downtown. On suburbs, away from heat island and where I live, lows go into 40's in nights like that. If our station was located at any other point, values would certainly be lower than it shows now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM
 
210 posts, read 26,631 times
Reputation: 52
Ricardo, do most people in Sao Paulo wear jackets if they are out and it is 65F outside ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
4,942 posts, read 3,143,632 times
Reputation: 3029
Chile withouth a doubt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
638 posts, read 476,201 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Ricardo, do most people in Sao Paulo wear jackets if they are out and it is 65F outside ?
half of them. But it depends on which hour it's 65F. If it's on ealy morning and day will be sunny not, because that's low average at early summer. If it's at afternoon, number of people bundled up increases. Something like this:

upper 70's: t-shirt, no protection.
60's to 75F: long sleeves shirt needed.
50's to 60's: heavy clothes, some people start wearing glooves.
40's to 50's: jackets, bonnets and glooves needed, cuz it's really cold.

But to me, it's pretty different. Seems like I'm more resistent to cold. I wear jackets only when it's near 50F. Perhaps I should be born in some european or north-american country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 06:16 PM
 
210 posts, read 26,631 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
half of them. But it depends on which hour it's 65F. If it's on ealy morning and day will be sunny not, because that's low average at early summer. If it's at afternoon, number of people bundled up increases. Something like this:

upper 70's: t-shirt, no protection.
60's to 75F: long sleeves shirt needed.
50's to 60's: heavy clothes, some people start wearing glooves.
40's to 50's: jackets, bonnets and glooves needed, cuz it's really cold.

But to me, it's pretty different. Seems like I'm more resistent to cold. I wear jackets only when it's near 50F. Perhaps I should be born in some european or north-american country
Are you either of predominantly or all Euro descent ? Are you a Branco ? If yes, maybe that would explain why are more resistent to cold if you have ancestors from countries with colder winters than Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
638 posts, read 476,201 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Are you either of predominantly or all Euro descent ? Are you a Branco ? If yes, maybe that would explain why are more resistent to cold if you have ancestors from countries with colder winters than Brazil.
As far as I know, according to mom, she had an italian grandpa and a portuguese grandma. But it doesn't explain that. Mom isn't used to cold as I am. She always complain when termometers are on the ground. Everybody in family is upset to 53F that is on São Paulo right now but me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
 
210 posts, read 26,631 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
As far as I know, according to mom, she had an italian grandpa and a portuguese grandma. But it doesn't explain that. Mom isn't used to cold as I am. She always complain when termometers are on the ground. Everybody in family is upset to 53F that is on São Paulo right now but me.
Is 53F only common in Sao Paulo during the night time, or is it common during the day time as well ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
638 posts, read 476,201 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Is 53F only common in Sao Paulo during the night time, or is it common during the day time as well ?
Only in the nightmime. It's rare to have a high in the low 50's. This cold right now is keeping highs on early 60's. But I'm tired of this. Do you believe last night I had all possible conditions to set a low in 44F as it was expected? I had clean sky, no winds. Then I wake up early in the morning and get disappointed when I see the low we just had: 9,7ºC (49F). The hatred rise, man. I could swear to you the cold I felt was rounding 42F, and it's very possible to be true but, official sation( located 5 miles towards downtown) doesn't go along. I'm frustated, disappointed, annoyed, angry, all bad feelings. Almost all inland cities set lower temps than me, maybe even coastal ones could have get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top