Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It seems like most people prefer wearing less and thinner clothing. But for some reason I'd rather be wearing a few layers, like a long sleeved shirt over a tshirt, with a light jacket. And I never wear shorts, always pants. Shorts just feel weird to me, and don't seem to help me keep much cooler. I also prefer the appearance of most winter clothing over summer clothing. To my eyes, most people, men and women, look classier wearing long pants, sleeves, coats, and hats.
Me too, I don't even have shorts. Wearing shorts as an adult is odd (except for the beach). American tourists wearing shorts in the city seem like oversized schoolboys to us

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM

With women things are different

Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
It's so easy to see why sunshine and warmth is ideal when you are limited from comfortably taking part in a plethora of outdoor activities because it's in the low 50's, drizzling or raining, windy and cloudy all summer long!! Or you spend 9 months looking forward to a few sunny days which never come!

Sunshine lifts the mood! Nothing worse than gloomy dull depressing weather. Horrible for business here as well, as everybody flies off to Europe to get their two weeks of summer heat and sunshine instead of spending their money here in the UK.

Edit: Ladies, only wear shorts if you know you have a good pair of legs and you won't blind somebody at the sheer sight of them.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Britain has great weather in my view (And yes, I have lived there myself.)

They fly off from Britain to Europe? On my map Britain is a part of Europe.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
The UK's weather is superior compared to here right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Britain has great weather in my view (And yes, I have lived there myself.)

They fly off from Britain to Europe? On my map Britain is a part of Europe.
In some people's opinion. Politically it might be, but most purist patriotic Englishmen don't consider it to be. We always refer to Spain/Italy/France etc... as simply "Europe" whereas we, are the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The UK's weather is superior compared to here right now.

Comes back to personal preferences again doesn't it.

I would love to be where you are now with 100 degrees likewise. I know winter would still be coming and it would be bloody cold for 3-4 months and I would happily rather it never came at all!

Here, we don't even get the opportunity for a summer, where I am. It simply isn't part of our climate. I don't think anything with average highs less than the mid-70's can even be called summer. I would swap with you, but I'd rather be more inclined to swap with somebody in Texas or Florida.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It's so easy to see why sunshine and warmth is ideal when you are limited from comfortably taking part in a plethora of outdoor activities because it's in the low 50's, drizzling or raining, windy and cloudy all summer long!! Or you spend 9 months looking forward to a few sunny days which never come!
That's the kind of weather I prefer when I'm outside! Here I stay inside all summer long because of the heat and sun, but love being outside in the winter when it's damp, 45-60, and cloudy. Being outside in genuine, fairly hard rain is troublesome, of course, but I love being outside in a cool misty light drizzle. I hibernate in the summer here.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That's the kind of weather I prefer when I'm outside! Here I stay inside all summer long because of the heat and sun, but love being outside in the winter when it's damp, 45-60, and cloudy. Being outside in genuine, fairly hard rain is troublesome, of course, but I love being outside in a cool misty light drizzle. I hibernate in the summer here.

I do wonder though if you really did live somewhere like this, all the time, you might just start really thinking "wouldn't it be good to at least have a few sunny warm days". Cool misty drizzle can make a difference from the usual heat & humdity your summers offer, but if it was all dominant, persistent and unchanging throughout not only winter but summer too, wouldn't it get boring?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
+1

I'd rep you if I could.

This is perfect weather for walking. Even if it's in the 30s, drizzly, and overcast I go for walks. Though at this point I'd be happy with temperatures in the 80s.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I do wonder though if you really did live somewhere like this, all the time, you might just start really thinking "wouldn't it be good to at least have a few sunny warm days". Cool misty drizzle can make a difference from the usual heat & humdity your summers offer, but if it was all dominant, persistent and unchanging throughout not only winter but summer too, wouldn't it get boring?
Didn't you have a sunnier than normal spring? If I lived there, the occasional sunshine you get would be enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather