Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 03:33 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
wait, Sydney has a winter???
Yep, it has felt much cooler than usual. May was cold, June was (just about but still cold) average and this month so far, 2 days has recorded maximums under 14 degrees.
I go to work wearing gloves, scarf, 2 pairs of socks, hoodie and jacket. That awful icy westerly makes it much worse in that I all but want to carry the heater with me. In a S-SE airflow all is fine

We have a saying here (joke). How can we tell those who come from the UK? They're wearing summer attire whereas us locals wear winter woolies

Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Yep, it has felt much cooler than usual. May was cold, June was (just about but still cold) average and this month so far, 2 days has recorded maximums under 14 degrees.
I go to work wearing gloves, scarf, 2 pairs of socks, hoodie and jacket. That awful icy westerly makes it much worse in that I all but want to carry the heater with me. In a S-SE airflow all is fine

We have a saying here (joke). How can we tell those who come from the UK? They're wearing summer attire whereas us locals wear winter woolies
That sounds about right lol, I would NEVER dress up like that for a springlike high of 14C and sunny skies! I burst out laughing just imagining it! Presumably at your latitude you can at least feel some strength in the sun in midwinter, right? Those temps and sun angle sound like a mild day in mid-March for me, and apart from old ladies nobody would be wearing winter woolies. That sounds like how I'd dress on a day with a high of 0C or so, except I don't own a scarf. There's a mildly interesting article on the Aussie winter from a British perspective here:
BBC News - Australia's winter denial

Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
I'd be wearing coat, fleece and hat at 14°C.

I don't understand how some of my fellow Brits seem to be just invincible to the cold. I am shivering without a coat below 15°C or thereabouts, unless it is very calm, humid and sunny.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
I know I've posted it before but I just had to mention this article about Newcastle's finest on a night out last winter
Why don't Newcastle girls EVER dress for the weather? One proud Geordie explains | Mail Online

I've been to Newcastle in the winter and I genuinely did get strange looks for wearing a thick coat (because I was going to Norway the next day, proper cold) so everything said in that article actually is accurate about the city!

Old 07-15-2011, 05:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Seems I visited Newcastle at the wrong time of year
But I liked it there, people are much nicer than in London...

Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
I love the cold but I also love the heat, I can defiantly find myself living somewhere in which doesn't have much of a winter, can do anything whenever (not being trapped by snow), wake up feeling warm, big one for me playing sports in idea conditions.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post

I thought you like cold?
Or you like dressing warm?

I was wearing a singlet (tank top) shorts and thongs (sandals) last Saturday to catch some sun

It was 16 C/61 F for the high with clear skies.
Most people were in long sleeves.
But the wind was light and I feel a lot more infrared-radiation here than back home.
The sun made it feel more like 26 C/78 F to my bare skin.
Mid-winter, yet we're still reaching UV of 3 on a clear day.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I know I've posted it before but I just had to mention this article about Newcastle's finest on a night out last winter
Why don't Newcastle girls EVER dress for the weather? One proud Geordie explains | Mail Online

I've been to Newcastle in the winter and I genuinely did get strange looks for wearing a thick coat (because I was going to Norway the next day, proper cold) so everything said in that article actually is accurate about the city!
Yeah I've seen the odd bloke here too with no shirt on in winter.
Seems Novocastrians are just like that and don't feel the cold - in both hemispheres!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I dress for the weather/temps but younger people in NE Wisc. wear less for the 50's, especially in late Mar./April after our 3-4 mos. of winter. I don't layer, wear real heavy stuff until we get the 20's!

I see people in Lake Michigan when air temps are in the high 60's, and trust me Lake Michigan is not warm (using the term warm very loosely) until August.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
I'd be fine in a long-sleeve shirt or sweatshirt if it was 14 C. If the sun was out, even a sweatshirt may be a bit much (depending on if I'm driving or doing physical activity). If there's a thaw in the middle of winter, I could walk around in a t-shirt in 14 C temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather