U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate: Laredo, Texas
A 3 6.25%
B 5 10.42%
C 7 14.58%
D 9 18.75%
F 24 50.00%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 AM

992 posts, read 1,667,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Just out of curiousity, have you ever experienced real winters? Any relatives in the northern states you might have visited for xmas (or at least thanksgiving)?
Houston has brutal winters...we had temperatures in the low 20s this year and highs below freezing. Wind chills in the teens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 AM

11,359 posts, read 11,094,429 times
Key there is, Texas had an unusual stretch of winter weather this past winter, definitely not a normal winter. Houston does not have those temps on a regular basis. Yes, it was cold but not for 3 mos. and certainly not every year.

I tend to go with the NOAA definition of winter, simply because I've always lived in a defined 4 season climate, falling under what the National Weather Service considers winter.

That being said, I realize people living in warmer climates, where the temps do get "cooler" during some months consider it winter. Granted winter to them, but not what one would call "real" winter weather.

All based on personal perception, just like many people don't consider where I live to have much of a summer. Summerlike to me, but definitely not summer to many, many people.

Variety is the spice of life they say, everyone has their opinion on their ideal weather, as they should!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM

186 posts, read 255,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
All based on personal perception, just like many people don't consider where I live to have much of a summer. Summerlike to me, but definitely not summer to many, many people.
Two Rivers doesn't have much of a winter as well... if you go with the 'Canadian' definition of winter (most cities in Southern Ontario, which are at least as cold as cities like Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit are probably considered tropical paradise here; not saying I agree with this definition though) I agree though, it's all a matter of perspective.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,384,365 times
Temps are perfect but not much variety of weather and too dry.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,916,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
He underestimated heat. yes. Let him live in texas for one summer and he'll run back to Canada crying: " spare me God, I hate heat i hate heat".

After having many summer memories of feeling cold on cloudy, cool days in the 60's F,
I've learned to hate long spells of anemic summer warmth. I'm happy to feel some heat-fatigue instead of shivers.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,916,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
CC will come back and explain (maybe) weather preferences, I've been on here 4 yrs. so I understand some "old" timers reasoning.
You know me well.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
Two Rivers doesn't have much of a winter as well... if you go with the 'Canadian' definition of winter (most cities in Southern Ontario, which are at least as cold as cities like Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit are probably considered tropical paradise here; not saying I agree with this definition though) I agree though, it's all a matter of perspective.
Really? I would have thought that the Canadian definition of winter would be only slightly colder than Southern Ontario/GTA variety, since that is where most people live. Southern Quebec is the other end of the Windsor- QC corridor and is cold. But it is balanced out by Canada's third largest metro, Vancouver, which has mild winters. That leaves Alberta and the prairies which are the coldest parts aside from the arctic north. But more people live in Ontario than all of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba put together.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Really? I would have thought that the Canadian definition of winter would be only slightly colder than Southern Ontario/GTA variety, since that is where most people live. Southern Quebec is the other end of the Windsor- QC corridor and is cold. But it is balanced out by Canada's third largest metro, Vancouver, which has mild winters. That leaves Alberta and the prairies which are the coldest parts aside from the arctic north. But more people live in Ontario than all of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba put together.
I agree. If you put more weights to demography rather than geography, then GTA climates would be most important. Though I've heard a lot about Toronto (which is still colder than Detroit, Chicago, and Buffalo and most of the Northeast and a lot of New England) being described as having a mild winter, and Windsor being the Florida of Canada or something crazy like that...

Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM

9,674 posts, read 10,993,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
I agree. If you put more weights to demography rather than geography, then GTA climates would be most important. Though I've heard a lot about Toronto (which is still colder than Detroit, Chicago, and Buffalo and most of the Northeast and a lot of New England) being described as having a mild winter, and Windsor being the Florida of Canada or something crazy like that...
If Windsor is the Florida of Canada... what does that make the BC coast? Equatorial LOL

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If Windsor is the Florida of Canada... what does that make the BC coast? Equatorial LOL
LOL, coastal BC's climates are relatively more 'uniform' compared to Windsor though, and Windsor indeed is warmer than places like Vancouver and Victoria most of the year if I'm not mistaken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or