Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate this climate: Laredo, Texas
A 5 7.58%
B 8 12.12%
C 13 19.70%
D 12 18.18%
F 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
I agree. If you put more weights to demography rather than geography, then GTA climates would be most important. Though I've heard a lot about Toronto (which is still colder than Detroit, Chicago, and Buffalo and most of the Northeast and a lot of New England) being described as having a mild winter, and Windsor being the Florida of Canada or something crazy like that...
You have to take population into account. People can say that Edmonton is the tropical paradise for arctic dwellers but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Personal opinions, in the end, are just opinions. What if I say that the whole country of Canada has no "real" winter compared to Antarctica. When it's below freezing, it is winter. does it matter that much if you are at -40 and someone else is at -10, winter is still winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 AM

175 posts, read 324,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
You have to take population into account. People can say that Edmonton is the tropical paradise for arctic dwellers but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Personal opinions, in the end, are just opinions. What if I say that the whole country of Canada has no "real" winter compared to Antarctica. When it's below freezing, it is winter. does it matter that much if you are at -40 and someone else is at -10, winter is still winter
Well, I think in the end, it really comes down to personal opinion. If you say that the whole country of Canada doesn't have 'real' winter, then all the more power to you. If you want to go with strict definition of winter then, it would be considered as either the three coldest months of the year (usually Dec to Feb or Jun to Aug in Southern Hemisphere), or the period from Winter solstice to spring equinox. When you speak of 'real' winter, it can only be spoken of in relative terms, in which case, while places like Laredo or Houston might not have 'real' winter to some people, they do if you go by definition alone.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Key there is, Texas had an unusual stretch of winter weather this past winter, definitely not a normal winter. Houston does not have those temps on a regular basis. Yes, it was cold but not for 3 mos. and certainly not every year.

I tend to go with the NOAA definition of winter, simply because I've always lived in a defined 4 season climate, falling under what the National Weather Service considers winter.

That being said, I realize people living in warmer climates, where the temps do get "cooler" during some months consider it winter. Granted winter to them, but not what one would call "real" winter weather.

All based on personal perception, just like many people don't consider where I live to have much of a summer. Summerlike to me, but definitely not summer to many, many people.

Variety is the spice of life they say, everyone has their opinion on their ideal weather, as they should!
It still drops below freezing almost every winter here

Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,352 times
This climate is way too hot! I'd give Laredo's climate a big solid F for sure. The other thing I don't understand is why in the world do some people say that Laredo has cold winters? Those temperatures are not what I would call cold. They don't even know what cold is.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:55 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
They don't even know what cold is.
What's wrong with that? Just like you dislike heat, others dislike cold.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
I agree. If you put more weights to demography rather than geography, then GTA climates would be most important. Though I've heard a lot about Toronto (which is still colder than Detroit, Chicago, and Buffalo and most of the Northeast and a lot of New England) being described as having a mild winter, and Windsor being the Florida of Canada or something crazy like that...
That's an exaggeration.
I've never heard Toronto's winter called "mild" as a blanket statement
except by people from rural, northern Canada. (You call -9 C cold?)

I've actually heard from many people on the Prairies that Toronto can often feel worse than them,
since we have so much humidity, cloud and moisture.
Statements like -12 C feels better, or the same as -2 C in Toronto.
We just have more stability than the Prairies and our extreme days aren't as harsh.

Toronto would probably be the Canadian equivalent of Atlanta.
Windsor would probably be the Canadian weather euqivalent of Houston.
Even places in interior BC like Kamloops have winters just as "mild" as Toronto, but Kamloops winter is shorter.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
People call Vancouver winters "mild" !!!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
People call Vancouver winters "mild" !!!

Yeah and when you see that many of those people live in the north Midwest, or the NE of USA you might well see why.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Yeah and when you see that many of those people live in the north Midwest, or the NE of USA you might well see why.
it must be freezing cold there. Well, i lived in Minneapolis in January and February 2000 and it was crazy cold there. Like -15 c or so! brrrrrrr. I guess that is north midwest or am i wrong?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
it must be freezing cold there. Well, i lived in Minneapolis in January and February 2000 and it was crazy cold there. Like -15 c or so! brrrrrrr. I guess that is north midwest or am i wrong?
Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather