Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM

5,900 posts, read 10,479,875 times

Advertisements

We have a short winter in the middle of a long summer/spring year.

Maybe you guys have an all year winter, and in the middle of it, you have a short summer. No spring that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,692,386 times
Here too we don't call a 3/11 day spring-like don't worry (unless it's sunny and happens in winter). Spring would be a season alternating sping-like and chilly days, making not so spring-like averages. Same for autumn, which would alternate warm and autumn-like days.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
One thing is to have a VERY cold winter like that. And another is to consider 3/11 SPRING. Thats not spring.

Spring is around 13/15 average low and 22/29 average high, and im talking about what is the perception of spring, not the temp i have where i live (wich are very similar actually). Maybe you dont have spring and you go straight to summer. But spring means that you have warm days and you wear a light jacket at night.
No. We definitely have a big transition season; just our winters are colder. Spring means you wear a light jacket in the day, sometimes a T-shirt on the warmer days. Winter means you have to wear a heavy coat most days and it can snow often.

Our coldest month (Jan): 1.7°C/-10.2°C
Our warmest month (Jul): 28.5°C/15.1°C

March: 8.2°C/-4.0°C
April: 15.3°C/ 1.5°C
May: 21.1°C/7.0°C

So, our spring months look very different from Jan and July, so to me we have a real "spring" season, while Mar de Plata has a few months of summer and the rest is a long spring/autumn.

So, to me, March is cold enough to be more of a winter month. April can get chilly but it's often comfortable out, and definitely feels like spring. May is a warm spring month, and all the plants have come out.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
We have a short winter in the middle of a long summer/spring year.

Maybe you guys have an all year winter, and in the middle of it, you have a short summer. No spring that is.
North of us, in the Northern New England, the joke is that they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of very poor sledding.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,496,490 times
Quote:
Ocotber in Mar del Plata averages 7/18, wich is like the average of the coldest month of winter in Buenos Aires. 7 celsius in Mar del Plata (with that wind and humidty) feels CHILLY. And 18 celsius, with all the wind (Mar del Plata is very windy) do not get to feel warm at all. October is like a winter month.
Even november, with 10/20 is still cold. 10 celsius in mar del plata=freezing. 20 celsius in mdp: just in the border between "cool" and "warm".

I would say you dont get to feel the real hot weather in MDP until january.

(although, i wouldnt call MDP weather hot, ever)
I see the October in Mar Del Plata is a close match for here for temperature, although the rainfall is only half.

Mar Del Plata doesn't seem to be that humid in winter. I would think the wind alone (not the humidity) is the reason for the chilly feeling. During spring here the dew points drop when the wind starts blowing off the sea. It is only in the height of summer that dew points rise (and only sometimes) due to weather off the sea, and the effect is to feel warmer rather than cooler, probably my favorite weather.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,310,744 times
Quote:
One thing is to have a VERY cold winter like that. And another is to consider 3/11 SPRING. Thats not spring.

Spring is around 13/15 average low and 22/29 average high, and im talking about what is the perception of spring, not the temp i have where i live (wich are very similar actually). Maybe you dont have spring and you go straight to summer. But spring means that you have warm days and you wear a light jacket at night.
Um, every place has a different version of spring. Just because those aren't spring temps to YOU, doesn't mean they can't be spring temps for everyone , remember, the northern hemisphere is not nearly as mild as the southern hemisphere.

I also would consider 11/3 spring, not winter.

And btw, I have said this many times, Fall and Spring have the same temperatures, so to say you don't have autumn seems kind of dumb to me when you say that your autumn has spring-like temperatures. Duh.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,458,691 times
Quote:
You consider 3/13 an 4/14 SPRING WEATHER??????

What a sad spring you must have where you live!!!
Eh? Most places in the world have springs colder than that. The majority of earth live in temperate or continental climate.

What you described as Spring in your post is summer to most people in Europe and Canada. And you don't wear any jackets of any sort when it is 15C at night.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 PM

How can you not wear jackets at 15??????

Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM

I live in temperate weather and 3/13 is not spring, is actually a VERY COLD winter.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM

You guys all live in Siberia or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather