Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think you might be confusing short daylight effects with low sun hours.
The Prairies sees their cloudiest time of year with the shortest daylengths.

Prairies' sun is further skewed by having 17 hr days in summer,
so you really aren't getting as many sunny days as somewhere summer means 14 hr days.

Sunshine levels here are 2700-2800,
and winter, our cloudies time being as cloudy Toronto, just weeks before summer weather kicks in.

I don't find 10 hr long winter days with only 3 hrs of sun (worst 1-in-7 days?) to be terrible here.
Yeah I probably was doing that, short day + cloud is totally depressing. Yes our sunshine hours are also up there because of the long days compared to somewhere where it is spread out more closer to the equator. I live in wpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think you might be confusing short daylight effects with low sun hours.
The Prairies sees their cloudiest time of year with the shortest daylengths.

Prairies' sun is further skewed by having 17 hr days in summer,
so you really aren't getting as many sunny days as somewhere summer means 14 hr days.

At Calgary the average sunshine of 2405 hours is 52.5% of daylight hours (though realistically probably more like 55-56% of what is measureable, ranging from 43-44% in Dec-Jan to 63% in July (probably more like 48% and 65% of the measureable). So the seasonal range isn't as large as it might seem. Medicine Hat ranges look more extreme (39% to 71%, with the same caveat).

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
If the sun set by 4:30 or 5:00 all the time, I wouldn't mind sunny weather as much.

If the days are going to be long, then I would prefer it to be overcast for the afternoon and evening.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Some things you guys probably dont know about Mar del Plata, it is the city where EVERYONE in Argentina goes to spend their summer. Its funny considering we here have been calling its summer "cool". It recieves more than 3 millon tourists every January, from all over Argentina, that do not seem to think the weather is "cool" (ahd they do come from much hotter weathers in central and northern argentina) cause they spend all summer bathing in the beaches!! .
Tourist in MDP enter to the ocean everyday (as a local, i only go into the ocean when weather is 27 celsius or more wich is not very often) and make the beaches CROWDED. Actually, MDP in the summer is insanely crowded and you have to find your little space to stare at the sun in any beach cause they are full of people. I really dont understand all the tourist. Why do they ALL come to Mar del plata when they are so many beautiful places in Argentina (and this coming from a person whose family owns a hotel and have lived from tourism all their lives) that arent crowded like this (like you have to make your hotel reservation in november to go there in january, cause hotels are collapsed).

Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Wow!, that is a seriously crowded beach. That is very different to what I'm used to. I'm not a beach person anyway, although I like a nice walk along an empty beach, more so during winter.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wow!, that is a seriously crowded beach. That is very different to what I'm used to. I'm not a beach person anyway, although I like a nice walk along an empty beach, more so during winter.

I dont see the appeal of a crowded beach either, I rather walk in an empty beach with white sands. Sadly, we dont have those kind of beaches here. The only beaches you can bath in Arg in the summer (weather wise) are in Buenos Aires province coast (thats Mar del Plata, biggest one, and all the coastal little towns -Pinamar, Villa Gesell, etcétera- that are also crowded) cause the ones in Patagonia coast are too cold and windy. So, here, it is only crowded beach or no beach. If i were a tourist, i would be going to the northeast (Salta, Jujuy) that might no have beaches but its full of lovely mountains and stunning, to Córdoba lakes (wich also gets a lot of tourism but not as much as MDP) or to Mendoza lovely mountain landscapes, not MDP crowded streets and beaches.

Weird thing is that people from Buenos Aires city wanna escape the crowded hot metropolis in the summer and they say "Hey, lets go to MDP, wich is close and haves an ocean". And they go sit in the crowded beaches, walk in the crowded downtown like if they were in rush hour subway at 6 o clock in BA. LOL. Unexplicable.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
NZ is blessed with its empty beaches, especially in the likes of Golden Bay.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
I quite like it! I'd prefer summers 3-4C warmer and winters 4-5 degrees warmer, but it's not too bad and rather sunny. A B from me.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
NZ is blessed with its empty beaches, especially in the likes of Golden Bay.
LOL, they're empty because they're always far too cold and cloudy for swimming.

Although I can remember the beach being pretty crowded back in February when we hit 36 C. Everyone was bumping into one another in the water.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
If you want to see crowded beaches, go to Brighton, South East England whenever the sun is shining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather