Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times

Advertisements

I have to give him props. All my complaining about the Northeast, and now we are getting a spectacular spell of weather. Warm, humid nights, perfect for baseball or cooking on the grill. A nice mix of hot sunny days and milder overcast days. Looks like it is going to be a great summer in PA.

I do still hate winter in Pennsylvania. I think it is cold, wet, and long. But summer really is great in this part of the country. I am not sure the summer is long enough to outweigh the awful winters. I will have to think more about that. But kudos to Tom, who tried to tell me awhile ago that summers in PA are really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:04 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I do still hate winter in Pennsylvania. I think it is cold, wet, and long. But summer really is great in this part of the country. I am not sure the summer is long enough to outweigh the awful winters. I will have to think more about that. But kudos to Tom, who tried to tell me awhile ago that summers in PA are really good.
winter in PA is not that bad. your winter is a heat wave to us here. are you thinking of moving to PA or are you already living there? if you're just thinking, I recommend texas or arizona for brutal, long oven-baked summer and short mild winter. Job opportunities are great in Texas and its metros are some of the fastest growing in the nations.

Last edited by Kaul; 06-12-2011 at 03:26 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
The combination of low standard deviation in summer, and average highs in June, July and August in the mid 80's with average lows in the upper 60's means it is like this every single year, give or take a few degrees. We are at the same latitude as Naples, Italy (actually a tiny bit lower)!

It's pretty hard to get a summer like they get in the UK here. In fact, it is impossible. I would also go so far as to say, considering the temps they are getting there now, I'd rather put up with our winters anyday over having a day in June with a high temp in the 50's. Yuk!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The combination of low standard deviation in summer, and average highs in June, July and August in the mid 80's with average lows in the upper 60's means it is like this every single year, give or take a few degrees. We are at the same latitude as Naples, Italy (actually a tiny bit lower)!

It's pretty hard to get a summer like they get in the UK here. In fact, it is impossible. I would also go so far as to say, considering the temps they are getting there now, I'd rather put up with our winters anyday over having a day in June with a high temp in the 50's. Yuk!
I would say it is still possible for bigger variation in temperatures in June, July, and August than what you believe is possible in areas of the Northeast, including Philadelphia.

Yes. It is pretty hard for Philadelphia to get a summer like they can get in the UK. But it still is possible for at least a few days in the summer to feel non summer like and kind of cold.

For example, June 14th after tomorrow the forecast high for Boston, Massachusetts will only be 59 degrees with a low of 50. Boston had a few days this June so far with highs not reaching 60 or at least barely reaching 60.
New York City for June 14th has a forecast of high of only 64. New York City so far had like 5 days this June that did not reach 70 and highs in the mid 60s for those 5 days.

However, Philadelphia and Washington DC are usually noticeably warmer than Boston and even New York in the summer, and the winter so it is less possible there than compared to New York and especially Boston.

However, the all time record lows for Philadelphia in June is 44 degrees, July 51, and for August 44 degrees.

And since all time record highs in Philadelphia for summer months happen almost every year, this means temperatures at record low territory can happen more often than some people think.

Plus, the rest of Pennsylvania is much cooler than Philadelphia so the rest of Pennsylvania is much more to bigger temperature variations than Philadelphia even in the summer.

Yes usually summers are warm in areas of the Northeast, and plenty of sunshine. But some summers can be much cooler, cloudier, and wet than other summers even for those same areas of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather