U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,929,276 times

Advertisements

It did for me!

When I was younger, I used to like cold weather and for longer periods of time, as well as liking long period of cold and snow.
But in the past few years, I like cold weather much less than I did before and I now like it for much shorter periods of time. I still can like snow but for much shorter periods of time than before. It is much easier for me to dislike extended cold temperature periods than when I was younger.

When I was younger, I also never liked temperatures in the 90s. However, for the past few years I like high temperatures in the 90s.

I also used to like longer periods of cloudy weather before but for the past few years I dislike it when it feels like it is cloudy for too long.
I still like cloudy weather plenty of times but for shorter periods of time than when I was younger.

I also was much less affected by weather I didn't like when I was younger. But for the past few years, I get much more intense reactions to certain types of weather I dislike.

However, there are still plenty of types of weather I always liked in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM

8,067 posts, read 5,870,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
When I was younger, I also never liked temperatures in the 90s. However, for the past few years I like high temperatures in the 90s.
This. I used to dread summer heatwaves, especially the warm nights because I couldn't sleep. Now I hate cool summers days.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
This. I used to dread summer heatwaves, especially the warm nights because I couldn't sleep. Now I hate cool summers days.
That is interesting both of our weather preferences changed over time with what we like for summer weather, and our opinions for temperatures in the 90s.

Did any of your other weather preferences change over time?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM

933 posts, read 1,580,101 times
yes. I was ok with the heat five years ago, but now anything over 80's traumatize me. I must say that heat lovers are hypocritical when they say that they like temps in the 90s. You may like the idea of having outside temps in the 90s but maybe not the room temperature inside your house. What is the point of saying that you like 90s temps only to have your AC cool you down to 70s? If you truly like the heat, turn off your AC and live with the elements

Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM

8,067 posts, read 5,870,967 times
^ Yeah the were once some foreign students from the southern United States at my uni in eastern France. They were boasting about how warm it was in TX compared to France and how heat-tolerant they were. When the indoor temp went into the upper eighties and they found out that nobody had AC in France they sarted complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Did any of your other weather preferences change over time?
No other big changes come to my mind.
This has to do with the 90F highs thing, but nowadays I don't like cloudy non-stormy days in summer whereas back in my childhood I loved them. But apart from summer I'm fine with overcast skies.

Oh, like most children I used to fear thunderstorms. Now I like them.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-12-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,471,177 times
I didn't care much about hot weather until about 5 years ago, when I started to really hate the summers in Mississippi. I never really liked it, though, merely tolerated it.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:35 PM

933 posts, read 1,580,101 times
Quote:
^ Yeah the were once some foreign students from the southern United States at my uni in eastern France. They were boasting about how warm it was in TX compared to France and how heat-tolerant they were. When the indoor temp went into the upper eighties and they found out that nobody had AC in France they started complaining.
hypocrites haha
-Europeans are actually the most tolerant of heat despite of living in cooler climates since you guys don't use AC

Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
yes. I was ok with the heat five years ago, but now anything over 80's traumatize me. I must say that heat lovers are hypocritical when they say that they like temps in the 90s. You may like the idea of having outside temps in the 90s but maybe not the room temperature inside your house. What is the point of saying that you like 90s temps only to have your AC cool you down to 70s? If you truly like the heat, turn off your AC and live with the elements
Anything below 55 degrees can traumatize me sometimes.
There are plenty of times I can put up and even enjoy temperatures below 55 degrees but still sometimes it negatively affects me and traumatizes me.

I don't think you can make that generalization for most heat lovers and it seems inaccurate.

Personally, I like high temperatures in the summer in the 90s. I also prefer not to even have an air conditioner on wherever I am most of the time(90% of the time). The other 10% of the time where I may want the air conditioner on, I could easily not have the air conditioner all together. I complained when I was on a subway and bus and there was air conditioning there.

However, it is the other way around for cold weather lovers.
I assume most(and maybe even all) cold weather lovers like having heat in their house/apartment and they would even complain if they did not have heat if the temperatures were cold outside. Are there any cold weather lovers that would like their house/apartment to be a temperature of 25 degrees or colder? I doubt it.

But like I said in my original post when I created this thread, when I was younger for most of my life I didn't like high temperatures in the 90s in the summer. But for the past few years, I actually enjoy it.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,325,021 times
After 11 years of extreme summer heat in Perth, I've decided extreme heat is fine for 2 or 3 weeks on holiday when you've got nothing to do other than loll about by the pool or at the beach. Living in it, working in it, having to be productive and active in it is awful. It's definitely lost its appeal for me.

Good point about the extreme heat lovers spending most of their time inside with the A/C blasting. With power costs escalating, living in very hot countries will become more and more unaffordable & uncomfortable. Of course extreme cold requires heating but you can dress in layers and warm woolies to help you stay warm but when it's so hot, you can be naked and it doesn't help, especially at night.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
No other big changes come to my mind.
This has to do with the 90F highs thing, but nowadays I don't like cloudy non-stormy days in summer whereas back in my childhood I loved them. But apart from summer I'm fine with overcast skies.

Oh, like most children I used to fear thunderstorms. Now I like them.
Other than enjoying high temperatures for the 90s in the summer instead of disliking it before the past few years, I also had some of my cloudy weather preferences change over time.

I used to like longer periods of cloudy weather before but for the past few years I dislike it when it feels like it is cloudy for too long. I still like cloudy weather plenty of times but for shorter periods of time than when I was younger.

I also like less cloudy weather in the summer vs. the winter, spring, and fall similar to you.
Just 2 cloudy days in a row feels too long in the summer(like what I am experiencing where I am right now) but for the winter, spring, and fall it is not until 6 cloudy days in a row or longer where it can like it is being cloudy for too long.

I sometimes even like up to 14 to 21 cloudy days in a row but only in winter, spring, or fall.
For the summer, I would be disgusted with a 14 to 21 cloudy day in a row period and anything over 5 days in a row for summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or