U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate it?
A+/A/A- 1 2.70%
B+/B/B- 5 13.51%
C+/C/C- 9 24.32%
D+/D/D- 12 32.43%
F+/F/F- 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,261,844 times

Advertisements

How would you rate the weather climate of La Paz, Bolivia?
La Paz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

La Paz has one of the coldest summers for any place in the world for such a heavily populated place. The population of La Paz is 900,000 people.

Average highs in its warmest months are mid 50s Farenheight(12 to 13 celsius) and average lows upper 30s Farenheight(3 celius). Record lows for its warmest months are at and below 32 degrees Farenheight/0 celsius freezing and as cold as the low to mid 20sF(-2 to -5 celsius).

Surprisingly, winter and its coldest months are not that much colder. It actually has the same average highs then at the mid 50sF(12 to 13 celsius). The average lows are in the upper 20s low 30s Farenheight then(0 to -2 celsius)

La Paz's all time record lows are in the low teens at 12 degrees F/-11 celsius.

It has a very unique "subtropical highland"climate, or I should say equatorial subpolar climate.

La Paz is also pretty close by to the equator which makes this even more surprising. It is because of the very high elevation that it has much colder temperatures than at places at lower elevations on similar latitude.

Actually places at roughly the same latitude as La Paz are the most southern parts of the Amazon rain forest of Brazil, as well as areas of Southern Indonesia, and most northern parts of Australia. Those places have weather climates where it is always summer.

Anyways, even though it is a unique and interesting weather climate, especially for a heavily populated city, I give this an F+.

I do not like the idea of perpetual winters and where it is almost always winter, for all months of the year. And yes, this counts as a perpetual winter climate to me because average lows never get warmer than the upper 30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 AM

4,984 posts, read 6,185,442 times
Those numbers look too cold. They may be for the altiplano above. This entry contradicts the above, probably for the lower altitudes.

BBC Weather | La Paz#

On the basis of the latter I would give it a C-. Reasonable sun but too cold.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Those numbers look too cold. They may be for the altiplano above. This entry contradicts the above, probably for the lower altitudes.

BBC Weather | La Paz#

On the basis of the latter I would give it a C-. Reasonable sun but too cold.
No. I heard the altiplano is even colder than what my website link shows.

Yes, those numbers look too cold because it really is that cold over there.

Those really are the average high and low temperatures for La Paz Bolivia for all months of the year.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,851,805 times
This is interesting! I had no idea La Paz, Bolivia, had this kind of weather!!! I mean La paz is at 16 latitude!!! that should mean its tropical and hot all year, and its actually cold all year, how weird!

Anyway, i actually think this is a really boring climate. All months have almost exactly the same highs and lows, no variation. The lows are very cold, too. As much as i like coolnes, i love a lovely beautiful 70f spring night to drink a beer outdoors, and here all nights are in the 30s!!.
Actually this is a very very boring climate with no variation! Too cold, too similar, too boring. Like i said that if i live in that Honduras perpetual summer all year i will die of boredom, well, the same goes here!

In one word: Awful!

F!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
This is interesting! I had no idea La Paz, Bolivia, had this kind of weather!!! I mean La paz is at 16 latitude!!! that should mean its tropical and hot all year, and its actually cold all year, how weird!

Anyway, i actually think this is a really boring climate. All months have almost exactly the same highs and lows, no variation. The lows are very cold, too. As much as i like coolnes, i love a lovely beautiful 70f spring night to drink a beer outdoors, and here all nights are in the 30s!!.
Actually this is a very very boring climate with no variation! Too cold, too similar, too boring. Like i said that if i live in that Honduras perpetual summer all year i will die of boredom, well, the same goes here!

In one word: Awful!

F!
I agree La Paz Bolivia weather is too cold for almost every month of the year(especially for its warmest months).

In some ways, the weather climate it has is interesting and unique, but in other others it is boring since it has the same exact average highs for every month of the year and almost the same average lows.

And it is very surprising La Paz is so close to the equator.=O Most other places at roughly the same latitude as La Paz have climates where it is summer and warm all the time, but they are all at a much lower elevation which makes a huge difference.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
And it is very surprising La Paz is so close to the equator.=O Most other places at roughly the same latitude as La Paz have climates where it is summer and warm all the time, but they are all at a much lower elevation which makes a huge difference.
I know! Most of argentina (excluding only the patagonia) has warmer weather than La Paz,and they are much more far from the equator. I guess elevation does make a big difference, huh?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 AM

933 posts, read 1,623,733 times
I am absolutely surprised that this place can have such nice weather, being located right in the tropics. If I can live anywhere in the tropics, it would be right here. However, I'm not sure if I can get used to the thin air at such high altitude. With that said, there is no cold and snowy winter so I'll give this one a solid C+, which is good because I don't ever give higher than F to tropical/subtropical. The reason for C is because there would be too much sunshine, considering its location in the tropics. The UV index would also be high too.Temperature alone, this one would get a B+.
Great find, thumbs up to thepastpresentandfuture..

Last edited by Kaul; 06-15-2011 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 AM

933 posts, read 1,623,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I know! Most of argentina (excluding only the patagonia) has warmer weather than La Paz,and they are much more far from the equator. I guess elevation does make a big difference, huh?
All of Europe, Canada, and Asia are warmer than La Paz at much higher latitude

Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I am absolutely surprised that this place can have such nice weather, being located right in the tropics. If I can live anywhere in the tropics, it would be right here. However, I'm not sure if I can get used to the thin air at such high altitude. With that said, there is no cold and snowy winter so I'll give this one a solid C+, which is good because I don't ever give higher than F to tropical/subtropical. The reason for C is because there would be too much sunshine, considering its location in the tropics. The UV index would also be high too.Temperature alone, this one would get a B+.
Great find, thumbs up to thepastpresentandfuture..
LOL, Kaul, i think quite the opposite. I wouldnt live there even if they pay me!. Actually now that you mention the thin air thing, i remember people that went telling me it was hard to breathe there due to thin air. So, this weather is actually boring, cold, and you cant even breathe!

Can i change my rating to Z, please??

Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 AM

4,984 posts, read 6,185,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
No. I heard the altiplano is even colder than what my website link shows.

Yes, those numbers look too cold because it really is that cold over there.

Those really are the average high and low temperatures for La Paz Bolivia for all months of the year.
Still wrong, as far as I can see. I found references showing clearly that your numbers match those of the airport on the Altiplano, at 4,082 m ASL. A lot of the city is 450 metres lower, and some lower than that. The BBC reference is clearly to a station at a lower altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or