U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Rate the climate:
A 4 10.53%
B 16 42.11%
C 11 28.95%
D 7 18.42%
F 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,207,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
B- from me, though that's probably influenced by the time I was there and we had perfect 25/12C weather with no clouds and no wind in early May a couple of years back. The locals refer to their climate as 'three months of winter and nine months of hell' (sounds better in Spanish), but it doesn't sound that way with those figures. It does at least occasionally get snow - in 2009 some of the higher suburbs (city centre is at 600m, higher suburbs I think go to 1100m) even had a white Easter, but a little dry for my tastes. Maybe the higher areas would be close to an ideal climate for me.

That’s the problem with these rate the climates: To person A it might be hell…to person B it might be their paradise. Whether you’re a local, on holiday (vacation), a business trip…etc everyone seems to want something different than where they live.

How locals could say Madrid is nine months of hell is amazing to me.

Madrid seems to have near perfection in a mild (not too hot and no real winter), semi dry, sunny climate. The winter months (D/J/F) have mean temps in the 41 – 44 F (5-6 C) range. This means daytime highs (on average) in the deep depths of winter would be near 50/52 F (10-11 C)…hardly real winter. The warm season (May through October) has mean temps in the 58 – 76 F range (15 - 24 C). For a North American comparison – Madrid is a slightly cooler version of Sacramento, California.

Add in a sunny overall climate, under 40 inches of rainfall (but more than 20 inches)…and I think Madrid is solid B + climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM

4,308 posts, read 3,137,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That’s the problem with these rate the climates: To person A it might be hell…to person B it might be their paradise. Whether you’re a local, on holiday (vacation), a business trip…etc everyone seems to want something different than where they live.

How locals could say Madrid is nine months of hell is amazing to me.

Madrid seems to have near perfection in a mild (not too hot and no real winter), semi dry, sunny climate. The winter months (D/J/F) have mean temps in the 41 – 44 F (5-6 C) range. This means daytime highs (on average) in the deep depths of winter would be near 50/52 F (10-11 C)…hardly real winter. The warm season (May through October) has mean temps in the 58 – 76 F range (15 - 24 C). For a North American comparison – Madrid is a slightly cooler version of Sacramento, California.

Add in a sunny overall climate, under 40 inches of rainfall (but more than 20 inches)…and I think Madrid is solid B + climate.
Actually now you mention it I should correct myself: "Nueve meses de invierno, tres meses de infierno" (nine months of winter, three months of hell). It was the 'nine months of winter' that surprised me

Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 AM

504 posts, read 350,440 times
C

It's winters barely make it as mild. Summer is borderline okay/too hot.
For an inland European location it's good.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
C

It's winters barely make it as mild. Summer is borderline okay/too hot.
For an inland European location it's good.
Inland and 2000ft above sea level even in the city centre, particularly so.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,861,565 times
9 months of hell? Their weather is much cooler than us, their winters are really cold, and the summers arent that bad, what do they mean?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
9 months of hell? Their weather is much cooler than us, their winters are really cold, and the summers arent that bad, what do they mean?
I got the phrase wrong, it's said to be nine months of winter and three months of hell

Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM

772 posts, read 591,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I got the phrase wrong, it's said to be nine months of winter and three months of hell
Either way is an exaggeration (I mean 'nine months of winter' or 'nine months of hell') This is one of those sayings based on rhyming, in which the rhyiming turns out to be the most important thing. In fact, 'nine months of winter' is just a filler to give way to the last part of the saying, namely, that there are three months of hell... and the rhyiming makes it more attractive.

But it's true that Madrid is rated as a hellish-summer city, more than the data suggests. I have an Argentine friend that lives there and says that it's really hot!... that it's not uncommon to reach 40 C every summer... What I think is that, due to the dryness, the heat waves tend to be stronger than in places with humid summers like BA. And that, to compensate those few days with 40 C, there must be some with highs of 23 C or so.

Sophie: Madrid's summers are cooler than Buenos Aires' only in the lows, but the highs are a bit warmer in Madrid.

I give it a C+. Overall, it's a warmer climate than I'd like, but the 'plus' is because at least there is something we could call "winter". That is, at least some days with highs between 3 C - 6 C.

I've been there in Feb 2008. The temps during the two weeks that I stayed in Madrid were more or less in the expected range for February. But I didn't find that weather "unfamiliar". It felt no colder than what we get in BA in the winter. I suppose it has to do with the dryness...

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,861,565 times
oh really? maybe the dryness makes the hot felt less hot, too.

and the winters are hardly winters anymore here in BA! 70 Farenheit right now!!! eeeek!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM

772 posts, read 591,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
oh really? maybe the dryness makes the hot felt less hot, too.

and the winters are hardly winters anymore here in BA! 70 Farenheit right now!!! eeeek!
18.9 C exactly, which is a bit less than 70 F. Anyway, temps in June haven't been so far from average so far. And I guess there is still a cold spell to come, as every winter. I don't agree with the statement "the winters are hardly winters anymore in BA".

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,417,761 times
I give Madrid Spain weather climate a B.

Temperatures are great and close to ideal. Very close to my dream weather climate preferences for temperatures.
This weather climate has a nice type of 4 distinct seasons. It has a consistent pretty long summer, a consistent very long spring/fall, and then a short brief but actual existing winter.

The problem is the precipitation. I would like more precipitation than what Madrid offers.

Madrid weather would easily get an A- from me if it just had some more precipitation and having everything else staying the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather