Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,599,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
With respect to cool oceans, I'm not sure. In the Arctic, the ice cover extent is among the smallest in recent decades right now:

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

And the summer has barely begun. Low ice extent in the early summer means that less sunlight will be reflected back into space and more absorbed by the darker waters.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Parts of Greenland had a 20F warm anomaly over the whole month of December. No doubt whether warm, cold, whatever we'll be getting more 'interesting' weather patterns in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM

83,327 posts, read 74,650,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He left AccuWeather rather abruptly, and some of the rumors were that all his global cooling talk got the more science folk at AccuWeather upset.
Yes sir. He's not with accuweather. People here need to stay in the loop instead of making accusations and assumptions on the guy.

Accuweather did not like his take on the global cooling so is it accuweather that shouldnt listen to or JB? JB has a good history and has science to back up his statements.

What do i think? ITS GLOBAL, NOT LOCAL! The planet is warming and has been warming..thats "Global Warming"...(Gore is correct) ... guess what happens during global warming?.. Atmosphere holds more moisture (more rains fall, stronger storms), volcanoes erupt, earthquakes happen...sound familiar?

Its the Natural cycle of Earth but guess what happens AFTER global warming.... You got it.....Its Ice not the fire we have to worry about.

If you're on facebook heres a good site to like...Always discussing planets events. http://www.facebook.com/EarthEvents

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,321,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
What do i think? ITS GLOBAL, NOT LOCAL! The planet is warming and has been warming..thats "Global Warming"...(Gore is correct) ... guess what happens during global warming?.. Atmosphere holds more moisture (more rains fall, stronger storms), volcanoes erupt, earthquakes happen...sound familiar?

I don't think I've ever heard that there is any correlation between global warming (or cooling) and earthquakes and volcanoes.

The way I remember it, earthquakes and volcanoes are geologic events…not meteorological events.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,194,892 times
I'm not surprised in the least that Cambium's link mentioned "chemtrails".

Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard that there is any correlation between global warming (or cooling) and earthquakes and volcanoes.

The way I remember it, earthquakes and volcanoes are geologic events…not meteorological events.
The weather "above" does not do all this but the "planet" warming (inside the core) will.

Volcanoes are the planets Thermostat. Many proven studies done that when they do go off; the planet cools. So is it a coincidence they go off when the planet warms or a reason?

Back to basics. Deep within the Earth it is so hot that some rocks slowly melt and become a thick flowing substance called magma.

And When two Tetonic plates collide, one of the plates goes beneath the other plate. Thus causing a friction in the earth’s crust. The pressure caused by the friction will cause the underlying rocks to melt and help the magma to rise.

Great link from sdsu.edu that shows the studies and the effects of the volcanoes after they erupt(scroll down for that).

How Volcanoes Work - volcano climate effects

Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM

4,974 posts, read 7,166,746 times
Quote:
Yes sir. He's not with accuweather. People here need to stay in the loop instead of making accusations and assumptions on the guy.

Accuweather did not like his take on the global cooling so is it accuweather that shouldnt listen to or JB? JB has a good history and has science to back up his statements.

Its the Natural cycle of Earth but guess what happens AFTER global warming.... You got it.....Its Ice not the fire we have to worry about.

If you're on facebook heres a good site to like...Always discussing planets events. http://www.facebook.com/EarthEvents
Atmospheric heating doesn't cause increased volcanic activity or earthquakes. How could it? But, catastrophic volcanic activity has a lot to do with the planet's temperature temporarily cooling off, but it has to be a HUGE eruption.

Year Without a Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I'm suspicious of anything that comes from Fox "News"- especially when it come to science.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,539,091 times
I'm in the NWS/NOAA camp as many outlets since the media revolution have gone over the top. As has been discussed many times, I loved the weather channel in the early days, now I hate the hype!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Atmospheric heating doesn't cause increased volcanic activity or earthquakes. How could it? But, catastrophic volcanic activity has a lot to do with the planet's temperature temporarily cooling off, but it has to be a HUGE eruption.

Year Without a Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sometimes I think people on here dont actually read each word posted. (not you in particular) Of course atmosphere doesnt increase volcanic activity..

Atmosphere = above ground. Volcano eruptions start below ground.

What was said was "guess what happens during global warming" Global doesnt mean atmosphere..it means Earth. Planet Earth including the core. It means looking at data and seeing when volcanoes were active (during warm periods)

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,321,275 times
Quote:
The weather "above" does not do all this but the "planet" warming (inside the core) will.

Volcanoes are the planets Thermostat. Many proven studies done that when they do go off; the planet cools. So is it a coincidence they go off when the planet warms or a reason?

Back to basics. Deep within the Earth it is so hot that some rocks slowly melt and become a thick flowing substance called magma.

And When two Tetonic plates collide, one of the plates goes beneath the other plate. Thus causing a friction in the earth’s crust. The pressure caused by the friction will cause the underlying rocks to melt and help the magma to rise.

Great link from sdsu.edu that shows the studies and the effects of the volcanoes after they erupt(scroll down for that).

How Volcanoes Work - volcano climate effects
Well then then I misunderstood you (I think):

I thought you were attempting to say (or you read on some pro-global cooling site like JB’s page) that "Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are caused by global climate change". I have a bit of a background in Geology/physical geography (MS in Physical Geography)...so I’m little familiar with plate tectonics (lol). Yes, it has been documented that is there is "some" correlation between volcanic eruptions and short term global temp changes. The eruption of Mt. St Helens in 1980 was thought to be (in part) responsible for the cooler global temps in the early 1980’s. The summer of 1816 was also thought to be a result of volcanic eruptions.

However, there is NO SCIENTIFIC data that I know of that shows that volcano’s and earthquakes increase/decrease when the plant cools/warms. As I said above, maybe that was not what you were trying to say (or show).

Really, not trying be condensending...but I would stop reading things being put out by Joe Bastardi and AccuWeather. They are in the business of “selling weather” and marketing...not respected academic/professional research.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM

776 posts, read 1,666,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. Parts of Greenland had a 20F warm anomaly over the whole month of December. No doubt whether warm, cold, whatever we'll be getting more 'interesting' weather patterns in the near future.
Climate change equals more intense weather activity leading to more fires, floods, snow, hurricanes and tornadoes in areas where that is already a dominant theme.. Global warming is the wrong term to use and the talking heads at Fox and right wing radio light up like a Christmas tree when you have a mid June snowstorm in the high rockies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather