Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:16 PM

475 posts, read 814,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe not - when is over 30C most European houses, apartments, and businesses use simple green home building ideas to keep their spaces cool in summer instead of the air conditioning so common in the U.S. These include roll down screens, patio shading, double windows, and more. European countries, have been the frontrunners in conserving energy and using green home building for decades.
There are not many days when the temperatures are over 30C (86F)
Same thing up here , any house built in the last 30 years has R20 walls and R40 in the attic..at least double glazed windows if not triple. Weather stripping every where to prevent drafts. If you build your house to withstand -40 it works well when it's plus 30. I usually open the windows when it hits 20C to let some heat in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
N0t in ENgland, but in otherr parts of Europe its very common. Everywhere I've been in Italy and Portugal had AC even in homes and villas but those are hot hot climates in summer.
Are these holiday homes meant for tourists used to cooler indoor temps? I've got friends in Italy who live in a traditional old house (1700s perhaps?) and their home has small windows and whitewashed walls to keep heat out, blinds and thick walls/basements to keep a decent ambient temperature. They don't have, or need A/C or central heating despite an annual temp range perhaps around 20-95 degrees. Older houses are much better than newer houses in that respect IMO and much more eco-friendly.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Are these holiday homes meant for tourists used to cooler indoor temps? I've got friends in Italy who live in a traditional old house (1700s perhaps?) and their home has small windows and whitewashed walls to keep heat out, blinds and thick walls/basements to keep a decent ambient temperature. They don't have, or need A/C or central heating despite an annual temp range perhaps around 20-95 degrees. Older houses are much better than newer houses in that respect IMO and much more eco-friendly.
I guess older ones are are.

My house I live in here is made of stone and would stay cool even in very hot summer conditions (and is painfully cold in winter). Shame it's in the Derbyshire Peak District then but it's made from stone that has been quaried from a few miles away.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 1 day ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,911,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Ok, i like the A/C when its 100 degrees out, but can someone please tell me why, on a beautiful 85 degree day, our office is so cold that i have to wear not one but two sweaters to work? I don't understand people who complain all winter long about how they hate winter, and then they turn the A/C freezing cold at the first hint of humidity. Enjoy the summer, people! You waited all winter for it. Obviously if you are a person who LIKES winter, then it would make sense that you like the A/C. But so many people complain about winter and then blast the A/C all summer.
I am in a cafe on my computer right now in that place and it feels freezing inside. It is 87 degrees and sunny outside right now but when I am in this cafe I feel like I have to wear a sweater and maybe even a winter coat. My nose is cold and my arms almost feel like they are shivering.

Sometimes I like air conditioning, but sometimes I hate it(like right now) and feel the same exact way the OP does. Air Conditioning is a luxury, it is not really a necessity that someone needs most of the time.

A week ago, I had a similar incident in another indoor place where it felt too cold inside because of air conditioning and temperatures being in the upper 70s outside. I felt like I had to wear a sweater or a winter coat in that place too.

So many people where I live complained about winter and now some are even complaining about summer and want it to be freezing cold for indoor places.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I am in a cafe on my computer right now in that place and it feels freezing inside. It is 87 degrees and sunny outside right now but when I am in this cafe I feel like I have to wear a sweater and maybe even a winter coat. My nose is cold and my arms almost feel like they are shivering.

Sometimes I like air conditioning, but sometimes I hate it(like right now) and feel the same exact way the OP does. Air Conditioning is a luxury, it is not really a necessity that someone needs most of the time.

A week ago, I had a similar incident in another indoor place where it felt too cold inside because of air conditioning and temperatures being in the upper 70s outside. I felt like I had to wear a sweater or a winter coat in that place too.

So many people where I live complained about winter and now some are even complaining about summer and want it to be freezing cold for indoor places.
It may have been considered a luxury to have air-conditioning 10 years or more ago, but not today.
I can recall the days when cars didn't have it, all you had was to open up the windows and let all the fumes and noise in. (plus cigarette smoke - since everyone smoked in those days)
I could not live without it (mainly during summer), and just about all new houses being built put it in -as where we are is not right on the coast - so the sea breeze comes very late, if at all.
Often it is set around 24C anyway, to minimise power consumption.
Shoulder seasons rarely need air-con here, which is about 5-6 months of the year.
During winter, the reverse cycle air-con heats the place up very quickly, within 30 mins and then turn it off.
Sure beats the fire hazards of those old coil heaters.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Ok, i like the A/C when its 100 degrees out, but can someone please tell me why, on a beautiful 85 degree day, our office is so cold that i have to wear not one but two sweaters to work? I don't understand people who complain all winter long about how they hate winter, and then they turn the A/C freezing cold at the first hint of humidity. Enjoy the summer, people! You waited all winter for it. Obviously if you are a person who LIKES winter, then it would make sense that you like the A/C. But so many people complain about winter and then blast the A/C all summer.
You seen to think winter is 72 degrees. Really you need to take something for that poor circualtion ;maybe if 72 makes you wear a sweater.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM

77 posts, read 346,968 times
Well, I personally love AC! Especially when I'm not paying for it, lol. It would seem kind of wasteful to put it on in 75 degree weather (like many stores do) but in 85+ degree weather, would you rather have it be 85+ degrees, or 70 degrees? I'll take 70 degrees any day.

What I really hate is artificial heating. IMO, it's completely stupid to put it on in 60 degree weather like so many people do here in Southern California, especially since the insulation of the building keeps it a relatively perfect and comfortable 65 degrees. Ugh, it gives me headaches too. To each his own

Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,955,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSies11 View Post
What I really hate is artificial heating. IMO, it's completely stupid to put it on in 60 degree weather like so many people do here in Southern California, especially since the insulation of the building keeps it a relatively perfect and comfortable 65 degrees. Ugh, it gives me headaches too. To each his own
What's the difference between heat on at 60, AC on at 85? Both seem like a waste of energy to me. And in the summer I definitely prefer 85 to 70 (in fact on the hottest summer days 85 is the temperature in my bedroom when I go to sleep - enjoying the nice breeze created by my very quiet ceiling fan). (Apologies to the Australians on this forum for not using the metric system - our country only likes to adopt new methodologies if we thought of them first no matter how much more logical they might be.)

Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
What's the difference between heat on at 60, AC on at 85? Both seem like a waste of energy to me. And in the summer I definitely prefer 85 to 70 (in fact on the hottest summer days 85 is the temperature in my bedroom when I go to sleep - enjoying the nice breeze created by my very quiet ceiling fan). (Apologies to the Australians on this forum for not using the metric system - our country only likes to adopt new methodologies if we thought of them first no matter how much more logical they might be.)
Well if you are in a dry climate where it really cools off at night 85-90 midday won't heat your house up that much from cool comfortable sleeping weather. Very hard living without A/C in Florida where it is as humid as hell and the night time temp drops very slowly to just under 80 at like 4am even though the daytime high might be comparable to the front range this time of year

Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,726 times
Now I know why you people from north use heating instead of A/C during winters...it's because they stop working in low temperatures. At least that's what happened on south of Brazil, which have been under a hard cold this week. Temps were near freezing, it freezes A/C outsides and turn them off. that's pretty curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather