Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,199,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For me, the problem with those late October/early November days in the mid 70s or higher isn't necessarily the discomfort. Because those days usually also had nice, low humidity and dew points, a lot like the typical summer weather here in Bellingham. No, the problem was always the fact that I had just made it through yet another seemingly endless Summer, then would get teased with a taste of Autumn, where daytime highs might only be in the 50s, nights were cool, the air was crisp, clear, and fresh...basically my favorite weather in the whole world. Then the next day it would go back to warm and sunny. So even though it wouldn't exactly be miserable weather for me, it just kind of felt like Summer was forever hanging on, refusing to let go. But luckily, those warm days were incredibly rare after early November, and I would finally have my peace. Until March, that is.
Great description. This was basically how it was in the fall for me, but replace "mid 70s" with "low 80s". And don't get me started on 75°F days in the middle of January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,704,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Great description. This was basically how it was in the fall for me, but replace "mid 70s" with "low 80s". And don't get me started on 75°F days in the middle of January.
Oh yeah, we'd occasionally get a few abnormally warm days during winter. Usually not in January, and rarely as warm as 75, but just enough to remind me that Spring, and thus heat, was right around the corner. Also, every time during winter the temperature would rise above 60 or so, thousands of gnats would suddenly make an appearance. There's nothing quite as annoying as riding a bicycle on the bike path in winter when you'd expect to have a few months relief from swarms of insects filling the air, only to get a face full of gnats out of nowhere. And then again, and again, and again, etc. They'd go away after it cooled off again, but return every time there's was any mild warming. Then before you knew it, Spring would come along and they'd be out every day. Ironically, they'd die down some during Summer, only to be replaced by millions of other insects, not to mention the heat and humidity. Then Fall would come along, and the gnats would return! In Spring and Fall I'd actually be glad when I had to ride to work in heavy rain, even better if there was wind as well. Because that was the only time during those seasons that the gnats seemed to be absent. Or maybe I just couldn't distinguish them from the rain drops.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For me, the problem with those late October/early November days in the mid 70s or higher isn't necessarily the discomfort. Because those days usually also had nice, low humidity and dew points, a lot like the typical summer weather here in Bellingham. No, the problem was always the fact that I had just made it through yet another seemingly endless Summer, then would get teased with a taste of Autumn, where daytime highs might only be in the 50s, nights were cool, the air was crisp, clear, and fresh...basically my favorite weather in the whole world. Then the next day it would go back to warm and sunny. So even though it wouldn't exactly be miserable weather for me, it just kind of felt like Summer was forever hanging on, refusing to let go. But luckily, those warm days were incredibly rare after early November, and I would finally have my peace. Until March, that is.
The weather you're describing for late October and early November down south is similar to what we experience during September and early October. The humidity is usually lower by that time, but I still find myself getting hot in 75-80 F weather. The skies are a beautiful deep blue, but the sun feels extra strong, making it uncomfortable. If I'm just sitting outside relaxing, it's fine, but doing any sort of physical activity can still be unpleasant. I still need to turn on the A/C in the car since it gets so hot with the sun beating down. At least the mornings are pleasantly cool.

70 F+ weather typically doesn't occur after Halloween, though it does happen in November every now and then.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm not sure. However, even the valleys in the Western US are high. That is why I posted the topo map. Western Australia is much lower in elevation than the Western US. You would still have the mountain ranges in the west, but if the valley floor wasn't over 5,000ft in elevation the cities there would be much warmer. That is why I posted the temps for Lake Havasu City.
Exactly, Phoenix is at 1,100 feet, and between Dec and Feb, highs range from 65-74 and lows from 43-50

Old 03-22-2016, 12:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, Phoenix is at 1,100 feet, and between Dec and Feb, highs range from 65-74 and lows from 43-50

The western US is actually very different from the east in that it does have temps good for its latitude when you take elevation into consideration. The only reason parts of Nevada, Utah, NM are so cold is because they are 4,000-5,000 ft in elevation. Australia is a very flat continent.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 1,998,692 times
Quote:
The western US is actually very different from the east in that it does have temps good for its latitude when you take elevation into consideration. The only reason parts of Nevada, Utah, NM are so cold is because they are 4,000-5,000 ft in elevation. Australia is a very flat continent.
The only Cold Place in Australia that we can compare is Charlotte Pass(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo..._Wales#Climate).

The amazing is that even there the Eucalyptus are Evergreen,even with the meters of snow in Winters,but i guess its the only tree that can survive in this place,since Mainland Australia dont have Native Deciduous trees.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
The only Cold Place in Australia that we can compare is Charlotte Pass(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo..._Wales#Climate).

The amazing is that even there the Eucalyptus are Evergreen,even with the meters of snow in Winters,but i guess its the only tree that can survive in this place,since Mainland Australia dont have Native Deciduous trees.

Why do you think it is that Australia does not have native deciduous trees? Didn't the continent of Australia migrate from Antarctica slowly northwards to its current position? That would mean Australia in the past was very cold.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Why do you think it is that Australia does not have native deciduous trees? Didn't the continent of Australia migrate from Antarctica slowly northwards to its current position? That would mean Australia in the past was very cold.
I like to Study Southern Hemisphere Forests,mainly the Temperate Forests.

Australia Mainland really does not have any Temperate Native Deciduous tree,but Tasmania have one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuscospora_gunnii known to be the Only one Australian Deciduous Tree/Shrub,but only grows in Hasher climates of Central Tasmania Highlands.

Its look like most of Trees from the Past has been Extincted in Australia,N. Gunnii is a real Relique from the Cold Past.

Southern Hemisphere have only one Genus of Deciduous Trees(Nothofagus,which also has some evergreens species),you can look in Wikipedia or others sites,and this Genus Cant grow in Hot/Dry Places like Northern Hemisphere Deciduous,they require Cool Summers.

In South America they beggan to appear in Central Chile at 32S above 800m(2600Ft),until 2000m and Finishs at Sea level in Hoste Island(55S).

But I still dont know why in Central Chile they are deciduous and so being able to survive the Mountain Cold and Snow,while in Australia they are Evergreen and so are limited to Lower Elevations.

Maybe because in South America they have an Conection by land of Higher Latitudes with Lower Latitudes just like in North America/Asia/Europe,while in Australia they dont have any Significant Land below 39S or Maybe Australia is so Dry to this Specie.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 2,969,551 times
^^^^ The Illawarra Flame tree is also semi-deciduous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachychiton_acerifolius

But, there are not many in Oz that are, since the main families - Eucalyptus, Wattles (Acacias), Bottle brushes, Paperbark, Grevillia, Ficus, Banksia etc are all evergreen.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
^^^^ The Illawarra Flame tree is also semi-deciduous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachychiton_acerifolius

But, there are not many in Oz that are, since the main families - Eucalyptus, Wattles (Acacias), Bottle brushes, Paperbark, Grevillia, Ficus, Banksia etc are all evergreen.
It is deciduous - shedding its leaves after the dry season.

we are talking about Cold winter Deciduous trees,unfortunately Only N.Gunni is Cold Deciduous in Aussie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather