U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
"Move to the Okanagan Valley" or something would at least be a bit more fitting.
The Okanagan would fail spectacularly on my "Bad Day" acceptance criteria too.
Okanagan should have even more bad lows than Vancouver.
Probably nowhere in Canada can have less than 130 bad highs a year, even in an abnormally-warm year.
I think it's safe to say that everywhere in Canada will always have 100+ bad days a year, forever
or until we get an Earth cycle like back when there were dinosaurs.

I don't have a particular desire to stay in Canada,
and our range of climates don't help me reconsider staying.
It would just be easier if there were good climates for me, since I'm already Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,914,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I don't have a full month's worth of stats for August 2011 yet and BOM removed (archived?) June 2010, so I counted from July 2010 to July 2011.

Bunbury:

bad highs: 6
bad lows: 108

Perth:

bad highs: 7
bad lows: 73

Brisbane
:

bad highs: 1 (12.6C this June! )
bad lows: 12

Kalbarri: (about same latitude as Brisbane)

bad highs: 0
bad lows: 25

I think the differences between Kalbarri's lows and Brisbane's is due to heat-island effect.

Beaudesert: (near Brisbane)

bad highs: 0
bad lows: 88

Beaudesert seems to be worse than Bunbury for lows in winter, or at best the same.
Beaudesert has been much worse this particular winter than Bunbury, with several frosts and two lows below -3 C.
I wonder what makes its nights so cold.

But one thing that Beaudesert has that SW Oz doesn't have;
no more cold mornings by September... it's like the calendar "knows."
April too, however May seems to be fair game for crappy mornings.
I knew Brisbane would come out on top. But how does it change when you look at data for western suburbs such as Ipswich? I imagine there would be more bad nights but the same number of bad days.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I knew Brisbane would come out on top. But how does it change when you look at data for western suburbs such as Ipswich? I imagine there would be more bad nights but the same number of bad days.
Ipswich is probably milder than Beaudesert, even though Ipswich is further from the sea.
The diurnal ranges at Beaudesert really do make it sound like a desert.

I can look that up next when I get time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather