Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Am I the only one who notices this overemphasis of Atlanta? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the city and may move down there one day. But enough is enough. It's sickening. Anyone agree? Anyone wanna add their own rants?
WOW, an old thread, but I agree and have noticed this for YEARS! There have been times where we have actually had severe storms in progress and the met on TWC will not even mention us with the storms, but will talk about Atlantas nice weather or heat. This thread was from 2 years ago, but I still see hints of this going on, but not as bad as it used to be. I remember in the early 90s when we did have internet (we didnt get until about 1994 for a short time, then again in 1996-98 for awhile (dial-up), then again in 2001 (cable) and have had it since), but in the 80s through mid 1990s we also HAD the old TWC where it didnt show the radar... it was the old blue screen like most all had in the 1980s. When we would have storms, all we had to rely on was the TWC radar and they wouldnt show us half of the time and we didnt know what was going on during the night. Around 1998 our cable company or TWC (however it works) upgraded the TWC forecasts added the radar on the forecast every 10 minutes and we thought we had died and gone to heaven! Now we have that and the radar on the NWS site at the touch of a button... things have came along way since 1993!

BTW, Viv is one of my favorites as well.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 04-24-2009 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwoodsZJ View Post
I forget who was doing the forecast that day but I caught my girlfriend trying took around him! literally! When I asked what she was doing she replied "I wish he'd move so I could see the weather for our area!"

Yeah, today Nick Walker was showing the southeast radar. His shoulder was over northeastern South Carolina where the wildfires were, but I could see enough of SC to see some storms and wondering if they were going that way. He just kept standing in the way and would not move, so I had to go to the computer here and check out the radar.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
The Weather Channel has gone way downhill since its glory days in the 80s up to the mid 90s. The extended forecasts are especially wretched since it seems like it relies on one computer model. I miss the Weatherstar 4000 with the non-animated graphics!

Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,478 times
The weather channel is clearly easy coast biased.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I stand by my opinion the purchase of TWC by NBC really changed their format, the whole presentation.

I wake up early sometimes, turn it on and between 5-7 a.m. they do not say a thing about midwest weather, mostly east coast, unless there's major storms somewhere. I guess they don't think we're up yet.

The way they've shifted people around the reporting is just not as good as it was that's for sure.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
The weather channel is clearly easy coast biased.
I get the forecast based on analyzing the computer models myself.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,758 times
I'm not crazy about all the shows that are on TWC now. I want to see maps and watches and warnings and all that good stuff. I'm not into history so if it's over, I'm generally not caring. All in all I have been a fan of The Weather Channel since the 80s. I miss Janetta Jones and a dark-haired guy who always made jokes that were actually funny.

Stephanie Abrams is a little too chatty/peppy but I do like the Abrams & Bettes combination. I also like Vivian Brown, Paul Goodloe, and Jim Cantore. Bill Keneely has an attitude problem.

When you live in New England you often can't see the forecast because their heads are blocking us.

I'm a weather nerd.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM

408 posts, read 458,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Weather Channel has gone way downhill since its glory days in the 80s up to the mid 90s. The extended forecasts are especially wretched since it seems like it relies on one computer model. I miss the Weatherstar 4000 with the non-animated graphics!
For me, the weather channel has been downhill since September/October 2008. I don't watch TWC during Storm Alert and severe weather/hurricane covage since 2008.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Bill Keneely has an attitude problem.

I'm a weather nerd.
Hmm. He has been there since the beginning, and I have no issue at all with him.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
I used to like the original Weather Channel...by which I mean, when the station was devoted only to weather forecasting. Nice, simple, low-tech presentations of the weather. When they started putting all the cutesy programs on, and adding in the (inevitable) commercials, I found that I didn't care for it as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather