U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,725,265 times

Advertisements

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. I just reactivated my city-data acct. earlier tonight, so if you don't know me, it's nice to meet all y'all! I am so glad to see a weather forum. I should have gone to school to become a meteorologist, but I was intimidated by all the math and science courses!

Okay, this is my rant. I cannot stand how the meteorologists love to just let us know what the weather is like in Atlanta. We know TWC is in Atlanta. We know that most of y'all probably live in Marietta/Cobb County or Cherokee County (areas I've heard them mention time and time again).

This afternoon, I think I heard Vivian Brown (who is one of my favorite meteorologists on the show) mention Atlanta about 20 times in just a few minutes. We know there's a heat wave...trust me, I live just outside of Charlotte and it definitely felt like the 104 degrees it's been the past few days. But PLEASE remember, Atlanta is not the only city in the South or in the country that is dealing with this. And while we're at it, no need to talk about the weather in ATL on a sunny, 70-degree afternoon when there's a blizzard in the Northeast that is affecting nationwide air traffic.

Am I the only one who notices this overemphasis of Atlanta? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the city and may move down there one day. But enough is enough. It's sickening. Anyone agree? Anyone wanna add their own rants?

PS--I love Cheryl Lemke. She just makes me laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

13,743 posts, read 5,494,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
First off, I'd like to introduce myself. I just reactivated my city-data acct. earlier tonight, so if you don't know me, it's nice to meet all y'all! I am so glad to see a weather forum. I should have gone to school to become a meteorologist, but I was intimidated by all the math and science courses!

Okay, this is my rant. I cannot stand how the meteorologists love to just let us know what the weather is like in Atlanta. We know TWC is in Atlanta. We know that most of y'all probably live in Marietta/Cobb County or Cherokee County (areas I've heard them mention time and time again).

This afternoon, I think I heard Vivian Brown (who is one of my favorite meteorologists on the show) mention Atlanta about 20 times in just a few minutes. We know there's a heat wave...trust me, I live just outside of Charlotte and it definitely felt like the 104 degrees it's been the past few days. But PLEASE remember, Atlanta is not the only city in the South or in the country that is dealing with this. And while we're at it, no need to talk about the weather in ATL on a sunny, 70-degree afternoon when there's a blizzard in the Northeast that is affecting nationwide air traffic.

Am I the only one who notices this overemphasis of Atlanta? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the city and may move down there one day. But enough is enough. It's sickening. Anyone agree? Anyone wanna add their own rants?

PS--I love Cheryl Lemke. She just makes me laugh
I totally agree with you...I've stopped watching their forecasts as much for different reasons (online weather sites, etc) but the over emphasis on conditions in Atlanta was always a bother when there was other weather news in the rest of the US. Also, I live in the central part of the US so I even had to get used to the forecasters standing there blocking the central US so they could talk about Atlanta instead of standing to the far right where the Atlantic Ocean would be, thus not coverning up temps and weather forecasts for the central US.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:10 AM

2,263 posts, read 3,725,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I totally agree with you...I've stopped watching their forecasts as much for different reasons (online weather sites, etc) but the over emphasis on conditions in Atlanta was always a bother when there was other weather news in the rest of the US. Also, I live in the central part of the US so I even had to get used to the forecasters standing there blocking the central US so they could talk about Atlanta instead of standing to the far right where the Atlantic Ocean would be, thus not coverning up temps and weather forecasts for the central US.
Yeah, y'all get no love or respect in the middle of the country. If they had their way, anything west of the Mississippi, with exception of Dallas and the folks on the Gulf Coast, would be classified as another country! I guess they'll continue to talk about Atlanta's dog days unless hurricane season becomes a bit more active.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,644,940 times
Nice rant, manofbess, but I need to add some more ranting because you only covered the provincial nature of TWC and didn't adequately ding them for their preoccupation with gimmicks, sensationalism and dumbed-down reporting rather than giving us intelligent information about the weather and the forecast.

Storm Stories? Save that for "The Oooh Ahhhh Channel." Why not get Jerry Springer to do TWC's prime time coverage?

What I'm saying is, even if TWC was the LOCAL weather station for the ATL, it would still be pretty bad. They're catering to the mean IQ of TV viewers and that leaves a lot of people wondering how they can get decent weather forecasts via TV. The only source I know is one guy on WGN but I don't even know when he's on so I rarely see him. I wish TWC would improve the intelligence of their programming and spend less on jazzy graphics that reduce the amount of information they're conveying in favor of "pretty colors" and "neato stuff." Not all of us are 8 years old and high on dad's prescription cough syrup.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 6,007,530 times
TWC is a joke.. hate it

Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 AM

654 posts, read 954,069 times
I thought I was the only one to think they talk about Atlanta too much. It is constant. Stuff like Tropical Storm Erin hits the TX coast, but it isn't expected to bring rain to Atlanta. It gets old fast.

You mention Vivian Brown. She made one of my favorite flubs on live tv once. She said (and I swear she did it) "We have reports of a tornado in Alabama where a couple of fatalities resulted in death." She caught at the end how stupid that was, but it was too late.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,678,963 times
Yes, yes, yes! I have been annoyed time and again that Atlanta comes up in almost every weather segment...

What is really annoying is that so little attention is given to the western US... I live in Denver, and it seems that the only time they bother to mention our weather is when there is a major blizzard!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,644,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
"We have reports of a tornado in Alabama where a couple of fatalities resulted in death."

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
What is really annoying is that so little attention is given to the western US... I live in Denver, and it seems that the only time they bother to mention our weather is when there is a major blizzard!
Imagine living in Boise or Flagstaff or Missoula --- it's the typical thing that happens on every channel dealing with anything involving regional maps. New England (the size of a few counties in the west) gets its own map, mid-Atlantic has a map, the Southeast, then the maps get a bit smaller-scale with one for the "Midwest" and one for the "South Central", and lastly there is a single map for the 40% of the country that lies west of anything they care about.

But it makes sense. I mean, there's nobody in Denver but some cowboys, indians, and grizzly bears. Right?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,678,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post

But it makes sense. I mean, there's nobody in Denver but some cowboys, indians, and grizzly bears. Right?
LOL! I almost have to wonder if they really think that sometimes!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:08 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,987,038 times
Default Are there other places???

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
LOL! I almost have to wonder if they really think that sometimes!
Yes, try living in mid MissouriWe definitely do not exist. Sometimes not even to the nearest metro area. And isn't it just too cute when the announcer stands in front of your area??? Uhhh, you do you mean to tell me that Colorado is not just cowboys and grizzlies? Shucks, y'all ruined my day.

Trade yas some heat for some rain... Anyone???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather