Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,145 times

Advertisements

Last thursday, a brazillian town named Urubici got a high of -0.1ºC or 31ºF. It's very very rare to happen, last time was back in 2000, when São Joaquim, coldest of our cities, set -2.4ºC(28ºF), the coldest high ever set over Brazillian soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
The town of St Arnuad which is 600 metres above sea level and about 100km from here, had a max of -2C/28F about 2 weeks ago. Most years would see highs near or below zero on 1 or 2 days a winter there. A friend and I were hunting last week and left the thermometer by the truck as the frost was so heavy. When we left at 2 pm it was still -1C/30F, and likely wouldn't have gotten any warmer. This was only about 100 metres asl and about 15 km inland, but in a seriously shaded frost spot. I was working about 50 km inland about 5 winters ago and recorded (I always have a couple of thermometers in the truck) -9C/18F in the morning and it was still -3C/26F when I left at about 1 pm. Highs of 0C aren't that unusual in the South Island away from the coast.

The coldest I could find for here at sea level, was a day in 1975 which had a low of -4 and a high of 3C and averaged out at -1C for the day. Nasty stuff.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM

45 posts, read 100,424 times
Subzero highs temps aren´t common but some arid places in central and south argentina could register very cold highs during winter.

Some cities in central argentina like San Rafael (34º36 S) has colds nights and temperate noons with occasional colds snaps..

Patagonic towns are colder. Esquel-Chubut (42º54 S)

Old 08-06-2011, 03:02 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
I know there are mountains in South Africa high enough to ski on occasionally - I highly doubt any town would be high enough to get an ice day at 30 latitude or whatever it goes down to, but does anyone know the lowest high ever recorded in SA or anywhere particularly cold there? Not southern hemisphere I know, but it would be interesting what the lowest recorded high in any proper settlement in Africa as a whole - could a town up in the Atlas mountains have had an ice day perhaps?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
Australia is a very interesting place. I have a few cousins who live there. I think the very interior of Australia, in this case the Outback, is where subfreezing temperatures can occur. Can someone confirm? Thanks
Subfreezing maximum temps have not occurred in the interior of the continent.
Alice Springs has recorded -7.5C minimums, but the lowest maximum is around 6C which I believe occurred last winter.
Lowest maximum at Yulara, near Uluru (Ayers Rock) -which is often termed the ""Red Centre"" - is also 6C.

See:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=15635

Last edited by Derek40; 08-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: extra

Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Here is the climate data for January 2011 for Vancouver International Airport. It seemed like a fairly average month as far as temperatures go. I wonder how this compares to the coldest towns in the Southern Hemisphere in your typical July?

Daily Data | Canada's National Climate Archive

Old 08-06-2011, 05:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Here is the climate data for January 2011 for Vancouver International Airport. It seemed like a fairly average month as far as temperatures go. I wonder how this compares to the coldest towns in the Southern Hemisphere in your typical July?

Looks similar to somewhere like Canberra, but Canberra very rarely records maximum temps below 5C.
Probably more comparable to Oberon or Guyra, the coldest towns in NSW.
Eg July in Oberon, and Guyra:

Oberon, NSW - July 2011 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201107/html/IDCJDW2104.201107.shtml - broken link)

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201107/html/IDCJDW2057.201107.shtml (broken link)

Forgot about Canberra, which has some fairly impressive "minimum" temperatures in winter, here is July:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201107/html/IDCJDW2801.201107.shtml (broken link)

Last edited by Derek40; 08-06-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:

I noticed that this past winter (Dec – Feb) there was only 1 day (in Feb) that Vancouver had a sub-freezing high. I know I’m only stating the obvious – but one thing that seems worth noting about the issue of subfreezing highs… is the massive advantage that highly marine and/or immediate coastal locations have over inland areas when it comes to seeing daylight high above freezing.

This past winter was a good example:

Despite record cold from one end of the USA to the other and several bouts when the jet stream dipped into the lower latitudes and caused severe cold outbreaks in places like Arizona, Texas, and the Southeast – few immediate coastal areas had highs that failed to reach freezing. From what I could see - not a single NWS station along the West Coast (below Seattle), Gulf Coast, and lower East Coast (North Carolina southward) had a single subfreezing high. Even stations as far north as Virginia Beach, VA and Salisbury, Maryland had less than 8 days when the daily high did not get above freezing. Yet, we know that interior and highland locations well to the south of these regions had several subfreezing highs this past winter. Parts of the highlands in central AZ had temps near 15 F…parts of the north Georgia Mts fell into the teens…and northern Texas had a severe bout of freezing temps.

I guess my point is that when you consider the highly marine nature of many of the southern Hemisphere cities…it’s not really all that strange that so few cities at/near sea level in the southern Hemisphere see subfreezing highs. The oceans edge can be a great modifier of temps.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:

Here is Dunedin and Queenstown for July.

CLIMATE DUNEDIN AERODROME A - Historical July 2011 - Weather

CLIMATE QUEENSTOWN AERODROM - Historical July 2011 - Weather

Last edited by Joe90; 08-06-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,145 times
70% of earth's landmass lies on north hemisphere. It explains all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather