Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM

45 posts, read 100,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I think São Paulo would fit exactly over Orlando area. Averages are similar and both sites have same classification: Cfa/Cwa
I dont thik so, Orlando gets colder in winter.

Orlando DECEMBER-JANUARY (2010-2011)

Sao Paulo JUNE-JULY (2011)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequeño View Post
That's the problem trying to match southern hemisphere cities to northern equivalents: the extremes of winter are much more pronounced in the north. The average temperatures might be the same but averages can be deceiving.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 AM

98 posts, read 136,489 times
Hard to match any Australian city to one in North America. Melbourne might be closest to somewhere in the SF Bay Area (NOT SF itself with its 21C average summer highs), that's speaking in terms of temperatures only. Oakland, California seems to be a good match for Melbourne's temps.

For my town, proably somewhere inland of Los Angeles like Riverside seems to be the best fit in terms of temp, rain and sunshine.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Just checked Charleston and it seems to fit so much better!!
specially the winter months....too similar!
summer lows are hotter in charleston in summer, and summer highs a bit lower.
But its otherwise a very similar weather...BA-Charleston twin weather cities!
Yes, Buenos Aires seemed to fit nicely between Savannah and Charleston when you looked at the climate zone (Cf) coldest month, and annual mean temps.

Buenos Aires is a Cfa climate (Humid subtropical)...had a coldest monthly mean temp of 50 F (10 C) in July...and had an annual mean of 62 F...while Charleston, SC is also a Cfa climate...had a coldest monthly mean of 48 F (9 C) in January...and had an annual mean temp of 66 F. Numerically, in terms of the mean temp of the coldest month - Savannah was actually slightly closer to BA than Charleston, (51 F/10 C for Savannah). Still, all three seemed to be close, so they fit well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I think São Paulo would fit exactly over Orlando area. Averages are similar and both sites have same classification: Cfa/Cwa
Yes, good call.

Sao Paulo is Cfa...is 58 F (14.8 C) in the coldest month...and is 65 F (18.3 C) annually.

Orlando is also Cfa...is 59 F (15 C) in the coldest month...and is 72 f (22 C) annually.

Sao Paulo also works very well, because Sao Paulo has hot summers like Orlando. In fact, even summer temps were close to each other in Sao Paulo and Orlando. I have to add Sao Paulo, good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think a better match for Vancouver than Paris in Europe at least temperature-wise are either Brussels or Amsterdam. The temperature regime seems to match much better in all seasons.
Of course precipitation values are much different here.

I hadn’t thought of that. I tried but WCD doesn’t seem to have Brussels.

I used Paris because it was a roughly a match to Vancouver in terms of climate zone (Do -Temperate Oceanic)...coldest month (both were around 38 F/3.5 C)... and annual mean temps (both were around 52 F/11 C). York, UK looked close to Vancouver as well. Of course the seasonal rhythm of rainwall in NW Europe is different compared to the PNW as you noted. I would think Paris would have a bit more rain annually than Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequeño View Post

Yes, your right. The winter extreme lows are colder in many of the USA zones compared to the Southern Hemisphere zones. However, keep in mind that the winter of 2010/2011 was one of the coldest in 50 years in Orlando, so some of those winter lows would normally be a bit higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
Where you placed Cairo on the map is wrong. Cairo is not anything like Phoenix. Cairo summer and winter temperatures are much more similar to those cities along the southern coast, like Beaumont, TX or somewhere in the Carolinas.

From what I can tell, if you look at the climate map on the first page, Cairo is located in the BWh zone (Hot Desert)...the same as Phoenix. I think cities like Beaumont, Tx or the Carolinas are located in the Cfa zone (Humid Subtropical). Also, the temps in Cairo are quite similar to Phoenix.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 08-10-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Wow, that's some effort gone into that, great idea! What is it about the US interior that makes the climate so unique? I'm curious if Paris and York are meant to be together or if York is meant to be a few hundred miles east? Either way, York summers will be quite noticeably cooler than Paris (winters I imagine to be very similar).

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I think Paris should fit nicely over Seattle similar to London. York probably should be somewhere like Port Hardy, BC which is not visible on that map.

Here are the climate tables for Vancouver and Brussels. As far as temperature goes they are quite close:

http://www.worldweather.org/056/c00266.htm

http://www.worldweather.org/053/c00191.htm

Last edited by deneb78; 08-10-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
If it weren't for the rainfall, Cairo would fit well in the inland Rio Grande Valley of Texas (McAllen) and inland central Florida (Orlando).

Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Interesting map. I think Dublin looks too low. It has about the same average annual temp as London or Vancouver, although I would choose the climate of either of those 2 cities over Dublin.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Cool map.

Interesting that the majority of world cities lie on or near a coast in the US (including the Gulf Coast).

Major difference is that we (eg Sydney and Newcastle) do not get 27C + degree water like that of the Gulf Coast - hence there are no Tropical Cyclones, or Hurricanes as they are called in the Northern Hemisphere.
Water can get that warm as far south as the Gold Coast, but that is not a common occurrence.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting map. I think Dublin looks too low. It has about the same average annual temp as London or Vancouver, although I would choose the climate of either of those 2 cities over Dublin.
From the data on WCD…actually Dublin is a bit warmer than Vancouver in January (41 F as opposed to 38 F)…while London is about the same (40 F). Dublin seemed the best matched around Eugene or Portland, but the difference was not huge.

Also - I have updated the map with some of the cities people have found (thanks all):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather