Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Poverty in the tropics. Obviously some of you can't connect the dots to realize that warm weather=poverty. Nobody lives in wooden shacks in subarctic regions.
I see you're stepping up the trolling now, but I'll take the bait. The tropics are poor because they're mostly populated by blacks and latinos -- the same groups who suffer the most poverty in the US.

I'm not being racist, simply stating the well-known fact that there is a strong correlation between race and poverty. Blacks in Somalia are just as destitute as those in Detroit.

Russia doesn't rank very highly in GDP per capita yet Singapore is one of the wealthiest nations on earth by this metric. This is in spite of the former having vast natural resources (precious metals, etc.) and the latter having virtually none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I see you're stepping up the trolling now, but I'll take the bait. The tropics are poor because they're mostly populated by blacks and latinos -- the same groups who suffer the most poverty in the US.

I'm not being racist, simply stating the well-known fact that there is a strong correlation between race and poverty. Blacks in Somalia are just as destitute as those in Detroit.

Russia doesn't rank very highly in GDP per capita yet Singapore is one of the wealthiest nations on earth by this metric. This is in spite of the former having vast natural resources (precious metals, etc.) and the latter having virtually none.

Are South and Southeast Asians considered black/hispanic too? The picture posted came from India.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 AM

914 posts, read 2,094,377 times
Quote:

Russia is light years ahead of Singapore in technological progress. In the 50s, while the Soviet Union flew men to the moon, the Singaporeans exported rice and pepper for pennies. Thanks to their White British masters, Singapore now can call itself a Westernized nation. Are you seriously comparing Russia to Singapore? What a joke. Russia is a major world power. Singapore is more like a Monaco of Asia. It's almost as stupid as comparing Germany to Monaco and ask which one is richer, Monaco has a higher GDP per capita than Germany, so what?
Monaco:

Last edited by Kaul; 08-19-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I work with a couple of PR people. My boss is Puerto Rican via grandparents emigrating there from Spain. He is blonde haired, lighted eyed and loves the climate here in Philly. He has no intention of ever living in PR. However, another guy at work can't wait to get back there. He has Taino blood and is dark skinned.

I wonder if people with more European roots, who happen to have been born into tropical climates, feel much more at home in more temperate climates. Think there is anything genetic to it? What do you think? However, I know some European people love high heat. Maybe it all just comes down to our own body type regardless of ethnic gentics.
I think maybe genetics and ancestry plays a part, but I think it comes down to experiences and preferences. People who grew up in warm, sunny areas that move to cooler places often enjoy the change (like me). Whereas people like ColdCanadian, Deneb, and the Kiwis in here, grew up in very cold (CC's case), cloudy and damp places (Deneb and the others) would prefer sunny, warmer areas because that's what they are not used to and see on the TV or go on vacation as something exotic. They associate tropical heat with vacation and so, equate it with paradise. Whereas me, I equate tropical heat with school, sweat, lethargy, and restless nights. Basically everyday life.

On the ancestry front, it also applies to my mother because she is very German in looks (she is half German) whereas I'm about 3/4 Spanish and prefer living somewhere like San Luis Obispo County, CA or Málaga, Spain (my ancestors hailed from Andalucía and Galicia). I have the very dark, thick, straight hair, very dark eyes, and a slight permanent tan (olive skin I suppose?) that people associate with people from North Africa or Sicily or Greece. My climate preference is cool Mediterranean and Oregon has the best climate for my taste, especially west of the Coast Ranges.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...com&cm_ite=map

San Luis Obispo, CA is my warm limit for being comfortable with most days in summer in the 70s and a few days in the mid 80s to low 90s.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...com&cm_ite=map

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-19-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 AM

5,900 posts, read 10,475,861 times
Quote:

Are you saying "Latino" is a race? cause fwiw Latinos are the people that live in Latin America and they are all different races (black, white, mestizo, indigenous)

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Russia is light years ahead of Singapore in technological progress. In the 50s, while the Soviet Union flew men to the moon, the Singaporeans exported rice and pepper for pennies. Thanks to their White British masters, Singapore now can call itself a Westernized nation. Are you seriously comparing Russia to Singapore? What a joke. Russia is a major world power. Singapore is more like a Monaco of Asia. It's almost as stupid as comparing Germany to Monaco and ask which one is richer, Monaco has a higher GDP per capita than Germany, so what?
What are you talking about? The Soviets never landed on the moon.

Your contention that the heat of the tropics results in lower economic productivity is absurd. The reality is that the temperate regions of the world are home to the vast majority of persons of European descent, who also happen to be the most productive (or possibly next to East Asians?). This holds true whether we look at international or intranational (i.e., different ethnic groups within a nation) comparisons. Hence, the temperate regions are the wealthiest.

Note that the polar regions, being virtually uninhabited (I wonder why?), do not enter into this discussion at all (except possibly in the case of some parts of Russia, Greenland, Canada, Alaska and Scandinavia).

Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Are South and Southeast Asians considered black/hispanic too? The picture posted came from India.
Indians are mostly dark-skinned, so certainly not "Asian". I wouldn't call them "black" either, but they may be considered so for the purposes of this discussion.

The upper castes of India have a high quality of life despite residing in hot climates.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,305,660 times
I love cold, overcast and snowy weather but at the same time I enjoy hot and humid summer weather with thunderstorms. That's why I think I belong somewhere in the Midwest instead of the deep south.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Chester, im not seeing the poverty/race connection here, specially cause you dont seem to know what "race" means (if you are saying "latino" is a race).

Maybe you should explain what do you mean with the terms you use, so you can be understood by the rest. Thats the point of communication. Otherwise, we are all Humpty Dumptys here.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 AM

lol, i will quote wikipedia cause it seems its needed. Even in an issue as obvious as this one. Maybe Chester after reading this you can properly make your point and using a correct choice of words.

The demonyms Latino and Latina (feminine), are defined in English language dictionaries as:
  • "a person of Latin-American or Spanish-speaking descent."[1]
  • "A Latin American."[2]
  • "A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States."[2]
  • "a native or inhabitant of Latin America"[3]
  • "a person of Latin-American origin living in the United States"[3]
  • "someone who lives in the US and who comes from or whose family comes from Latin America"[4]
The two words originate in American Spanish latino and latina (from Latin Latinus, Latina), either meaning "Latin", or possibly a clipped form of latinoamericano, "Latin American".[1][2][3]
In the United States, the term is in official use in the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino, defined as "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.

Now you get it?
It was kind of obvious but it seems people do not know this thing even in the XXI century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather