U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,825,340 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. If you had the possibility to skip one month every year in the place where you live, and jump directly to the next one, which one would it be ?

Personally, my answer depends on the place, as I've lived in several places:

In Nice, it would be November. It's not the coldest but it's the cloudiest along with December, and December has several advantages such as Christmas and New Year celebrations which make it more enjoyable. Plus, stricly weatherwise, days start to grow longer in December after the winter solstice so it makes me feel we're headed "in the good direction". November is just a hopeless boring month with short and decreasing daylight.

In Singapore, November as well because it's as cloudy and almost as rainy as December, but the latter has the aforementioned celebrations, and later sunset times.

In Paris and Lille, still November. Short days, overcast skies, cool temperatures (but not cold enough for snow) makes it a unbelievably dull month.

In Hong Kong, it would be February - the cloudiest and almost the coldest month in the year (January is only marginally cooler and much sunnier). Second place goes to March which is equally dull but can get significantly warmer so it's a little better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM

10,734 posts, read 6,012,214 times
July - Too hot, sunny, and the days are too long. Blah.

August is pretty much the same, but the days get noticeably shorter and a cool down is more likely.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,051,170 times
Here, February.

I like December because of Christmas etc... even though it is gloomy and cold.

January is the coldest month but February is barely any better and I've had enough of winter by then, it just seems to drag on. Let's get rid of it.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM

14,943 posts, read 8,971,374 times
August. It's always a dismal month here, even in good summers. I would love to skip it and go straight to September which is always better.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM

4,113 posts, read 2,026,119 times
August probably, it'd be cool to have the heat of July turn into a quickly cooling off September.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,051,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
August. It's always a dismal month here, even in good summers. I would love to skip it and go straight to September which is always better.

You can't do that, my birthday's in August!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM

7,273 posts, read 3,642,994 times
May. Still weeks until the shortest day, leaves all over the place, and rats try to invade the house most years during May. We don't have much seasonal variation in sunshine percentages, so at least it doesn't feel worse in that regard. The only thing I like about May, is some of the best surf conditions happen then, although my work schedule gets messed up as a result.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM

14,943 posts, read 8,971,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
You can't do that, my birthday's in August!!!
So is mine, which is why I'm more than happy to skip it!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM

5,919 posts, read 4,489,842 times
November here.. it's the wettest month and also has increasingly shorter days.. at least in December you have Xmas and New Years and by January days are starting to get longer....

Old 08-28-2011, 01:56 PM

4,744 posts, read 2,049,830 times
March. The transition from winter to spring is way too long. This month is sad because there no longer chances for decent cold and lasting snow. And it's the driest part of the year, usually even more boring than the rest of the year in Paris. Last but not least, it's the beginning of the allergy season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather