Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you get a noticeable foehn effect during westerly winds?
Not very noticeable, no.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I wish i knew why Buenos Aires gets to be so hot. I mean the latitude is 34, in the temperate range and stuff, but i recently learned that BA gets hotter in the hottest month (January) than its northern neighbours with similar weather. Rosario for instance, is a city located directly northern BA in Santa Fe province, also with humidity and similar geography, at 32 latitude, and i always thought "Rosario must be insanely hot in summer" and recently found out that average for summer while they are 20/30 c in BA, they are 18/29 in Rosario!! I know its kind of similar, but i wonder why this is, since Rosario should be hotter since they are both cities that have a river, are plain in altitude, have humid weather, and are really located in the same geography only that one is closer to the equator than the other, therefore, it should be hotter.

Cordoba, on the other hand, located in a different geography, but also northern, is a city much warmer in the winter in BA (Cordoba has amazing weather, warm all year), but its also a bit colder in the summer.
I wonder if the hot BA summer have to do with the 13 millon people that live here and the asphalt and stuff? all the people together maybe add 1 or 2 celsius?
I think maybe because the earth is closer to the sun during your summer? But dunno how much an effect that will have, since I don't think it's that much closer. Hm, any of our Aussie friends have an idea?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:51 PM

174 posts, read 470,614 times
Probably the Hudson River, causing a fairly high annual precipitation here in the NYC burbs.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
Probably the Hudson River, causing a fairly high annual precipitation here in the NYC burbs.
Is the Hudson a wide expanse of water where you are talking about. River effect rain, a bit like lake effect snow perhaps?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:01 PM

174 posts, read 470,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Is the Hudson a wide expanse of water where you are talking about. River effect rain, a bit like lake effect snow perhaps?
Rockland County, NY. Basically across the Hudson River from Westchester county (the Hudson is looming fairly large on our East side). We get an average of 51 inches of rain annually.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The Appalachian Mountains in my area shield my city from much of the snow, cloudiness, and cold that cities like Pittsburgh, PA and Toronto get. It could be 40°F/4°C and sunny where I live and a 2 hour drive west of the range, Pittsburgh would be around 25°F/-3°C and completely cloudy. I could get an inch of snow and Pittsburgh would get 3 or more. I average 2619 hours of sunshine annually compared with 2023 hours for Pittsburgh. During the winter months of December and January (the dead middle of winter), I get 155 hours in January, and 127 in December and Pittsburgh gets 93 and 74, respectively. Putting it in perspective, my area is just barely as sunny as Adelaide, Australia and Adelaide is cloudier than York, PA in winter except for December/June where Adelaide gets 20 hours more.

During the summer, the Appalachians do nothing but just kinda sit on the land. The spring, fall and summertime moisture we get in my area is provided mostly by hot, steamy, wet air from the Gulf of Mexico. That would explain why even though I'm located 40°N, I feel like I'm in Florida during the summer even this high up.

A little fun fact. My city's climatic twin is Beijing, minus the monsoon pattern rainfall. Precipitation here is evenly distributed throughout the year. My other climatic twin, except rainfall, is Madrid, Spain
That's true. I went to college in Pittsburgh then grad school in Philly and noticed more sunshine in Philly during the winter (Nov-early March). The rest of the year was pretty similar. I believe it's not just the Appalachians but also the Great Lakes (particularly Lake Erie and Lake Ontario) that make cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, most of VT & NH cloudier than cities along the Atlantic Coastal Plain (NYC, Philly, DC, Boston) during winter. Pittsburgh used to be very polluted and I read it receives more sunshine hours today than it did back in the days of steel. So, the low hours may be a bit skewed. What's also interesting is that while Philly is sunnier in the winter, if you drive 2 hours north to Scranton, PA it is noticeably cloudier. That may have to be due to the fact that the Appalachians run diagonally through PA from southwest to northeast PA. Both Pittsburgh and Scranton are also on the Allegheny Plateau. I also like to note that although Pittsburgh is cloudier than Philly in the winter, there's not much of a difference in temperature -- Pitt has an avg. of 41 degrees in Dec (pretty mild). It's also a good hour west of the Appalachian Mountains to experience the windward effect of heavy snow and too far south to experience the Lake Erie snow effect.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,351 times
Here in Cairo, it's the Mediterranean sea. It's not that far off to the north of us, and it's to thank for the fact that we don't have the incredible heat to our east and south. Cairo's hottest month's average high is around 35C, but Luxor not hugely far south is 41C, Riyadh's 43C, Baghdad's is 44C, and so forth.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:52 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
In Seattle, although we are some 80 miles away, the Pacific Ocean is one key factor to our moisture and year-round mild temperatures. The Olympic Mountains help to shield Seattle from some of the heaviest downpours, but do very little to protect us from the constant overcast and mizzle (misty drizzle) that plagues us from about mid fall to early spring. Puget Sound also helps to regulate our year round mild temperatures here in Seattle.

The Rockie Mountains shield Seattle (as well as pretty much the entire west coast) from arctic air masses in the winter. The Cascade Mountains have a similar effect, but cold air can occasionally drop down via the Fraser River Valley near the US / Canadian border. The Cascades also keeps out the cold of winter and the heat of summer, and the overall much drier air, from Eastern Washington. The irony in that is that those things probably wouldn't exist without the Cascades in the first place, as the marine layer would probably make its way much farther eastward than it currently does.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Rain Shadow is all I basically know about this and a few others, rain shadow climates are good?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I average 2619 hours of sunshine annually compared with 2023 hours for Pittsburgh. During the winter months of December and January (the dead middle of winter), I get 155 hours in January, and 127 in December and Pittsburgh gets 93 and 74, respectively. Putting it in perspective, my area is just barely as sunny as Adelaide, Australia and Adelaide is cloudier than York, PA in winter except for December/June where Adelaide gets 20 hours more.
Not true. Adelaide mean for 1983-2010 is 2802 hours, ranging from 326 in January to 141 in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather