Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,586,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Our low last night was 4°C with some patchy fog instead of the 2°C in the forecast... and lows are going to start to creep up at the beginning of next week so no frost in the forecast.
Our fall foliage seems to be at peak or later for some deciduous trees and non-existent for other deciduous trees..kind of bizarre actually.
That's normal, isn't it? The trees that gain their leaves first lose them first and the late bloomers stay green longer - I assume some trees are just quicker to react to the temp/light change than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,453,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
What's been wrong with it? Plenty of time for fog, frost, gales, chill and rain later on when we can't get the sunny/15C+ combination, but I've been very happy with the mild/warm weather - particularly that heatwave - while it's still been possible. Apart from much of June, July and August I've actually enjoyed the past six months of warm-ish weather.
It's October now, and any little interest I have in warmth has now completely faded and I am now looking for my first air frost. 15c and sunny, to me, is pointless, summer failed to deliver warmth, and I am certainly not looking for it in autumn, the season of fog, frost and gales.

Oh, and it's the lack of cool nights since September really, I really can't stand this unseasonably mild weather.. the Autumn foliage appears to have stalled and judging by model output all the leaves will just be blown away before getting a proper chance to change colour.. and then the mild weather will return and everything will be ugly, damp, overcast and .. and.. ugh.. I just want a proper season in the UK.. our climate is hopeless, hopefully winter will deliver again as every other season is completely wrong

Old 10-15-2011, 03:08 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,146,581 times
Awesome fall day with mostly cloudy skies, windy conditions, and cool temperatures.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,593,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
That's normal, isn't it? The trees that gain their leaves first lose them first and the late bloomers stay green longer - I assume some trees are just quicker to react to the temp/light change than others.
I guess that's true... I'm not sure which species lose their leaves first.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,345,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's October now, and any little interest I have in warmth has now completely faded and I am now looking for my first air frost. 15c and sunny, to me, is pointless, summer failed to deliver warmth, and I am certainly not looking for it in autumn, the season of fog, frost and gales.

Oh, and it's the lack of cool nights since September really, I really can't stand this unseasonably mild weather.. the Autumn foliage appears to have stalled and judging by model output all the leaves will just be blown away before getting a proper chance to change colour.. and then the mild weather will return and everything will be ugly, damp, overcast and .. and.. ugh.. I just want a proper season in the UK.. our climate is hopeless, hopefully winter will deliver again as every other season is completely wrong
Blame da gulf stream.....

Sounds like you need to relocate to some very deeply inland continental climate somewhere, where there will be real seasons. The UK will never give much other than very cloudy, grey, cool (what you call mild) weather in most of the year thanks to the highly oceanic climate.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM

5,587 posts, read 10,586,512 times
Low of 3.3C a shock to the system this morning after so many recent nights struggling to get below 15C!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,847,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Awesome fall day with mostly cloudy skies, windy conditions, and cool temperatures.
Aren't you in NW New Jersey? Philly is not far at all from you but yet very different. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day here with bright blue skies and a high of 70F. Was a bit windy though. Today is another clear sky day with a high of 70F forecast again.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Aren't you in NW New Jersey? Philly is not far at all from you but yet very different. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day here with bright blue skies and a high of 70F. Was a bit windy though. Today is another clear sky day with a high of 70F forecast again.
Yes I am. There was some sunshine in the morning, but it was generally cloudy for the afternoon, other than a few peaks here and there. Yesterday's high was 62 F. Similar today with mostly cloudy skies, breezy, and temperatures in the low to mid 60s.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Well it was overcast earlier, but now the skies cleared up. Not a big deal since the sun sets in two hours.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've noticed the temperatures in Western Massachusetts tracks where ilovemycomputer90 lives very well. Philly seems rather different from me as I gathered from your posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather