Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,809,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Scandinavian winters? even places like NYC have warmer winters than most of Scandinavia.
Most of the U.S. has Scandinavian winters, especially the states west of the Appalachian Mountains that frequently see winters at or below freezing for much of the season. The U.S. interior is very cold in winter and even the Southern states away from the coast have cold winters. Most of Europe seems to have around 0°C winters, not including Russia of course. Have you ever been to Missouri? It's in the middle of the country right above the northern boundary of the "Sunbelt" and the winter I was there was -10°C during the night or colder, and during the day it hovers around 0°C. I think people have a misconception about Norway and Sweden being colder than they really are, just like foreigners have a misconception that the U.S. south is warmer than it actually is. Much of Sweden and Norway is as warm and cool as the U.S. northeast, not like Fairbanks or Yellowknife. For pretty much most of January, York (PA, not England) and Stockholm were both a bit under 0°C. December here was mostly around 0°C same like the southern 1/3 of Sweden.

I should specify that I meant to say central and western Europe. Eastern Europe can get quite cold in winter, however, my assessment that about 1/3 of the U.S. is at or below freezing during winter. Texas is not as warm as people think it is, neither are Arkansas, the upper halves of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. The only warm places in the U.S. is central and southern Texas, southern LA, MS, AL, and GA, most of CA, southern half of AZ and all these states except AZ and CA are subject to severe cold snaps during winter. The PNW has weather varying from cool Mediterranean to oceanic.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 09-08-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,460,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most of the U.S. has Scandinavian winters, especially the states west of the Appalachian Mountains that frequently see winters at or below freezing for much of the season. The U.S. interior is very cold in winter and even the Southern states away from the coast have cold winters. Most of Europe seems to have around 0°C winters, not including Russia of course.

I should specify that I meant to say central and western Europe. Eastern Europe can get quite cold in winter, however, my assessment that about 1/3 of the U.S. is at or below freezing during winter. Texas is not as warm as people think it is, neither are Arkansas, the upper halves of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. The only warm places in the U.S. is central and southern Texas, southern LA, MS, AL, and GA, most of CA, southern half of AZ and all these states except AZ and CA are subject to severe cold snaps during winter. The PNW has weather varying from cool Mediterranean to oceanic.
Scandinavia is much colder than the most of the US bar Alaska. Only places like Minneapolis can really match the cold of a Scandinavian winter, but even then they don't last as long.

I think you're right about most of the US being rather cold in winter. Parts of northern Mississippi and Alabama have average winter minimums around -1C in January, colder than my location, but daytime maximums are a lot higher and snow won't stick for long.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Scandinavia is much colder than the most of the US bar Alaska. Only places like Minneapolis can really match the cold of a Scandinavian winter, but even then they don't last as long.

I think you're right about most of the US being rather cold in winter. Parts of northern Mississippi and Alabama have average winter minimums around -1C in January, colder than my location, but daytime maximums are a lot higher and snow won't stick for long.
Yep. I usually don't count on the average temps here because I've found the average temps are just a guide, usually it's been colder than average for many days the past couple years in the northern U.S., particularly where I live. The worst cold you'll find in the Lower 48 here is anywhere from Kansas to the Canadian border to the western slopes of the Appalachians and New England (no kidding since Quebec is right next to it) where there's little to no chance of warming up to melt snow. The southern states can have equal chances of biting cold and warm enough to not need a jacket. It all depends on which way the wind's blowing, quite literally

Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,177,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Where in Scandavia are you talking about? If you take Stockholm, Chicago has similar daily maximum in January. Stockholm has high daily winter minimums than most of the midwest and interior northeast US. The cold of Stockholm is cold for northern US standards but not exceptionally so. The length of a Scandinavian winter is what's severe not its intensity.

In January 2009, our town had a colder January than Moscow, let alone Stockholm. Bit of a fluke, but still.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Where in Scandavia are you talking about? If you take Stockholm, Chicago has similar daily maximum in January. Stockholm has high daily winter minimums than most of the midwest and interior northeast US. The cold of Stockholm is cold for northern US standards but not exceptionally so. The length of a Scandinavian winter is what's severe not its intensity.

In January 2009, our town had a colder January than Moscow, let alone Stockholm. Bit of a fluke, but still.
That's what I'm saying. I don't think deneb or the other foreigners realize just how cold it gets here. The ONLY places you want to go for guaranteed warmth in winter are Arizona (Phoenix to Tucson to the CA border), and southern coastal California in the continental U.S. Everywhere else is either frozen over (figuratively and literally), or too cold to warrant a vacation or in Florida's case, pretty variable though much of the time it is quite warm, just not as consistent as Phoenix/Tucson or L.A./San Diego. A British family I met a while back went on vacation to Orlando last November and they were unsatisfied because it was in the 50s and low 60s when they went when it was up to the 80s before then. Unlucky for them they happen to arrive just as a beefed up cold front passed through

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,177,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I'm saying. I don't think deneb or the other foreigners realize just how cold it gets here. The ONLY places you want to go for guaranteed warmth in winter are Arizona (Phoenix to Tucson to the CA border), and southern coastal California in the continental U.S. Everywhere else is either frozen over (figuratively and literally), or too cold to warrant a vacation or in Florida's case, pretty variable though much of the time it is quite warm, just not as consistent as Phoenix/Tucson or L.A./San Diego. A British family I met a while back went on vacation to Orlando last November and they were unsatisfied because it was in the 50s and low 60s when they went when it was up to the 80s before then. Unlucky for them they happen to arrive just as a beefed up cold front passed through
Well Deneb mentioned NYC as a comparison. While NYC is cold, it doesn't look like it's to the level of Stockholm. Philly and DC are warmer yet in the winter. But at this point we're getting a bit overly picky...

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM

678 posts, read 1,200,924 times
Thaank you for the answers. So we'll probably sharing the same weather right now. São Paulo had today humidity level of 19% at 15pm combined with a high of 89ºF...

Anyway, I also would like to know...Which meteorological system brings more rain to Texas? Hurricanes, cold fronts, convective precipitation, intertropical converging zone???

Here in São paulo, the last one(called here as South Atlantic converging zone) answers for more than 80% of total amount of rainfall, and usually happens in summer.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,523,761 times
I travelled all around North America for the last 4 years including northern Canada. The coldest place we were at was ND and it was minus 40. I like the cold and that -40 didn't bother me at all. I dressed up all warm, threw the dogs out of the truck and took off hicking a couple of miles. I had to put the zipper down on my parka I was so hot. The dogs were fine too except for their poor little bare feet.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
Funny because the last few days mnay areas of Texas have set record lows for the dates.My area previous was 60 and we had 57 tweo nites ago and evry nite since as been at or below 60.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well Deneb mentioned NYC as a comparison. While NYC is cold, it doesn't look like it's to the level of Stockholm. Philly and DC are warmer yet in the winter. But at this point we're getting a bit overly picky...
And yet, NYC, Philly, and DC are all near the coast, which is the warmest part of the Mid-Atlantic. Drive west of the Appalachians and the story becomes very different. It can be 40 degrees in my area, and 3 hours towards Pittsburgh it's below freezing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather