U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,810,960 times
Auckland wins for me, forget the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM

6,961 posts, read 3,296,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
My ranking is:

Auckland
Te Teko
Chatham Islands
Motueka
Invercargill
Milford Sound
Alexandra
Molesworth
I was surprised to see the Chathams at 3rd. Why would that be?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM

4,057 posts, read 2,920,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The Chathams are much cloudier than any of the mainland towns - average sunshine at Waitangi about 1430 hours.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The Chathams are much cloudier than any of the mainland towns - average sunshine at Waitangi about 1430 hours.
Most Chatham Islanders I've meet, tend to laugh when I ask them about the weather, then expletives.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM

4,057 posts, read 2,920,207 times
Quote:
Most Chatham Islanders I've meet, tend to laugh when I ask them about the weather, then expletives.
It did once get 274 hours of sun (Dec 1990), but only 28 in June 1981 (though some mainland places didn't fare too well in that latter month, either). Its average windrun looks to be at least 30% higher than that at a fairly exposed position at the top of Kelburn.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM

5,726 posts, read 4,184,327 times
Quote:
I like the fact that the Chatham Islands have very mild winters. Record low is only -2.3C Plus the Nikau palm also grows there wild.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,457,124 times
Molesworth
Invercargill
Alexandra
Chatham Islands
Motueka
Te Teko
Auckland
Milford Sound

A very mild country indeed. Milford Sound is the only place where I wouldn't want to live.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I like the fact that the Chatham Islands have very mild winters. Record low is only -2.3C Plus the Nikau palm also grows there wild.
Fair enough, although The Chathams would be among the very worst climates in NZ in my books. It is a mild winter, but it is still in winter mode there.

There are Nikaus there, but I think the mature specimens only number in the hundreds, compared to the hundreds of thousands around here. A friend who worked there never saw one in 16 years, and took some convincing that they grew there. I've been growing a Chatham Nikau, they look a bit different so far.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 AM

1,876 posts, read 1,415,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I don't think Invecargill's climate is as bad as its made out to be, maybe its just because I've lived here for 21 years, the long nights in summer, still light beyond 10pm helps, but if I could have any climate in NZ it would be Alexandra without doubt

My brother moved there a few years ago from Sydney & would not live anywhere else now. He visits Sydney during the winters only & absolutely will not have a bar of our humid summers.
Before he moved there permanently, I had scant interest in Invercargill’s climate; ever since he moved there, the “scant” part has now been replaced with the “interesting” part.
Invercargill, in my opinion, has the best climate, very changeable with a high number of showery - not rainy though - days, doesn’t stay too hot for long and sunny days doesn’t prevail for weeks on end like here! I’d take an Invercargill westerly anytime over ours!
I remember leaving Sydney on a torrid and humid 30C day & arriving here (Invercargill) on a 16C afternoon (2pm to be exact) in the midst of a hailstorm and showery westerly gales – I loved it and not having to wipe the sweat off my face made it far more bearable!
If Invercargill had Milford’s Sound amount of rainfall – that would be much more tolerable!

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 09-27-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM

5,726 posts, read 4,184,327 times
Quote:
Fair enough, although The Chathams would be among the very worst climates in NZ in my books. It is a mild winter, but it is still in winter mode there.

There are Nikaus there, but I think the mature specimens only number in the hundreds, compared to the hundreds of thousands around here. A friend who worked there never saw one in 16 years, and took some convincing that they grew there. I've been growing a Chatham Nikau, they look a bit different so far.
Yeah I know Nikaus grow on both the north and south island of NZ as well but I imagine the flora is somewhat unique on the Chathams. Another reason I picked the Chathams over Motueka is because I dislike climates with large diurnal ranges and it seems Motueka has a much larger diurnal range than the Chathams especially in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather