U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,645,649 times

Advertisements

New Zealand is a land of great climatic homogeneity, for the most part, owing to its small size. However, there are some interesting contrasts to be observed, more with respect to rainfall than temperature.

All New Zealand climates could be characterised as cool and cloudy by American standards. But some are cooler and cloudier (and wetter) than others. How would you rank these representative examples?

(yes, there are somewhat more extreme examples than those listed below, but I wanted to restrict these to inhabited places for which data is readily available)

Auckland (warmest): AucklandAlbert Park, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Molesworth Station (coldest winters and coldest overall): Molesworth, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Milford Sound (wettest) :Milford Sound, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Alexandra (driest): Alexandra, New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chatham Island (cloudiest?): Chatham Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Motueka (sunniest with nearly 2500 hours?): Motueka, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Te Teko (warmest summer highs): Te Teko, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Invercargill (coolest summer highs): Invercargill Aero., New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

My ranking:

Alexandra -- cold winters are outweighed by overall dryness and low wind speeds and generally warm summers with the highest number of hot days (average of 14 days over 30 C / 86 F) of any place in NZ.

Auckland -- general wetness outweighed by overall warmth (in relative terms).

Te Teko -- as above.

Motueka -- as above, significantly sunnier conditions being outweighed by cooler weather year round. Note that Blenheim and Nelson, both contenders for sunniest place in the country, are very much drier.

Chatham Islands -- very cloudy, but also relatively dry and with mild winter nights. High winds may make the lower-ranked two preferable though, hard to say

Molesworth Station -- when I went there in January '09 it was nice. Can't say anything more really. It would come down to sunshine and wind.

Invercargill -- horrible climate, but not as wet as Milford.

Milford Sound -- beautiful scenary, but extremely wet coupled with generally cool weather. Sunshine hours higher than might be expected (1700 or so?).

Some very tough choices here and it's a toss-up between some of them without more data (which I can't be bothered digging up -- no doubt RWood can fill in the gaps).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 AM

22,179 posts, read 21,723,816 times
Molesworth station
Alexandra
Invercargill
Milford Sound
Motueka
Te Teko
Chatham Islands
Auckland

By the way, the rainfall stats for Milford Sound is almost unbelievable!

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-26-2011 at 01:56 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 AM

4,979 posts, read 6,083,416 times
Nelson and Blenheim have the same amount of sunshine as Motueka, with much lower rainfall - Blenheim's is only around the 600mm mark. But I would rank these 3 as about top equal, with Blenheim for a narrow preference. Chatham Islands last with the lowest sunshine average, Invercargill 2nd last for the same reason.

Alexandra also has cooler summer days due to periodic SW changes. The average midsummer (Jan-Feb) maxima for a few sites: Kaitaia 25.1, Te Aroha 25.3, (Te Teko probably about the same), Alexandra 23.7, Cromwell 24.3.

I'm not particularly interested in ranking intermediate sites. No sun data for Molesworth, but it would be significantly lower than at Nelson or Blenheim. Rainfall is about 650mm.

Milford is remarkably wet for a sea level station, but the number of "wet" days (1mm or more) at 184 is not exceptional. Much wetter places exist in the upwind zones at about 800-1100m ASL - Cropp Waterfall being the most notable with an average of almost 11,500mm (but even there a fortnight can pass with very little rainfall now and then).

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,624,640 times
I don't think Invecargill's climate is as bad as its made out to be, maybe its just because I've lived here for 21 years, the long nights in summer, still light beyond 10pm helps, but if I could have any climate in NZ it would be Alexandra without doubt

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM

4,445 posts, read 8,112,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I don't think Invecargill's climate is as bad as its made out to be, maybe its just because I've lived here for 21 years, the long nights in summer, still light beyond 10pm helps, but if I could have any climate in NZ it would be Alexandra without doubt
I readily admit that I’m not a huge fan of climates that have cool summers (highs under 70 F) and have low sunshine hours:

However, from everything I have read, as far as New Zealand climates…the cities on North Island are the stars of the show; Cities like Auckland, Manukau, Hamilton…etc have a good 5 months with warm weather and average daily highs above 20 C/70 F (from December through March)…the cool season is modest with average daily highs still above 10 C/50 F in the coolest months…average winter lows are cool (in the 40’s F/5 C) but still relatively mild compared to many locations in the middle latitudes. I would guess much of North island gets at least 2300 hours of sunshine (including in the cities). The lower latitude (below 40 S) assures a good solar angle all year in every season.

Alexandra is not bad, though a bit too cold in the winter months in terms of overnight lows and daily highs. However, Alexandra is rather an anomaly in New Zealand – a climate that is so dry it barely escapes being classified as a semi-arid climate – or Bsk.

So I would say the cities of upper North Island would the best choice for me I would guess.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

15,004 posts, read 12,759,679 times
Assuming Invercargill isn't drastically sunnier, I'll give it the edge over Chatham Island since it's wetter. Both are very comfortable year-round.

Although dryer than Motueka, I ranked Molesworth higher for the cooler temperatures.

It was a really tough choice between Milford Sound and Alexandra. I love rain, but MS might be a little to wet even for me. Alexandra is dryer than ideal, but is very comfortable year-round. I chose MS over Alexandra, but I certainly wouldn't mind Alexandra's climate.

Invercargill
Chatham Islands
Molesworth
Motueka
Milford Sound
Alexandra
Auckland
Te Teko

Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM

9,442 posts, read 10,544,930 times
My ranking is:

Auckland
Te Teko
Chatham Islands
Motueka
Invercargill
Milford Sound
Alexandra
Molesworth

Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM

15,294 posts, read 11,851,806 times
Motueka Most settled weather in NZ , a good combination of sun, rainfall, temps.

Te Teko Same as above, but less sunny.

Auckland Mild year round climate, but you really start to notice the extra rain days.

Alexandra I spend a lot of time around here. The dry landscape makes a nice change, and the seasonal range makes it feel different to here. I've had some really warm weather there, with some months having most days close to 30C/86F. but it also gets cold in summer at times , I don't think the low humidity helps either.

Molesworth A dry feeling place, can get quite hot at times as well as cold.

Invercargill Lived there for 6 years. the weather was a real shock at first and some years summer almost felt like it didn't happen. Mid summer there has average temps barely higher than mid Autumn here (Motueka) Still has nice weather at times and some really stunning days that have an "X Factor"

Chatham Islands yuck! Windy and cool year round.

Milford Sound Double yuck. Beautiful place, but the rain is too much. Sandflies make it hard to enjoy the nice days. Avalanches sometimes close access as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM

[quote=wavehunter007;21037896] I would guess much of North island gets at least 2300 hours of sunshine (including in the cities). The lower latitude (below 40 S) assures a good solar angle all year in every season.

quote]

Wrong about the sunshine. Both islands' weighted populated zones average around 2000-2050 hours overall. Only a small part of the North Island gets 2250 hours or more - parts of Hawkes Bay around Napier and coastal Bay of Plenty.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I lived in Invercargill & Dunedin for 17 years. I definitely place Invercargill last in that mainland list. Alexandra's low rainfall is a good feature, though the June-July fogs are not. To get best advantage of sun there one has to be on the hill slopes on the southern flanks of the river, out of the basin. "Lowland" Alex gets less sunshine than Cromwell, but the numbers would be better if measured on the southern hill area.

Te Teko is not quite as sunny as the BOP coast and the proximity of the sea makes the coastal zones less oppressive on warm days. Whakatane maxima are only a little bit lower than Te Teko's, and it is the sunniest location in the North Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or