U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Status: "Brace yourselves! Arctic Front coming!" (set 11 days ago)

2,615 posts, read 1,807,848 times

Advertisements

Back in Texas, I used to love getting in the pool ONLY because it was sooo hot and humid. When it was so hot out, the pool was a refreshing place to be where the water was usually warmish, not too cold. Then, because it was still very warm and humid at night, we'd get in the pool at night. That I do miss, no sun to burn you, kids asleep. It felt nice to be in the pool and look up in the night sky and see the stars and swaying palm trees. But once again, i did it only because it was hot. When I moved up here to Colorado, I noticed it never got "really" hot enough for me to want to get in the pool. But i did end up going about 4 times in the 3 months it was open. I prefer enjoying doing outdoor activities instead like walking, biking, playing sports, enjoying a nice picnic or a day at the park when it's not too hot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM

4,982 posts, read 3,425,791 times
Wow! Its weird to read that most people arent interested in swimming . Me, I LOVE to swim, im one of those people that could be inside a pool/ocean all day withouth getting out.

The strange thing is that i lived in an ocean/coastal city all my life, when i went to the beach in the summer and stayed all day in the ocean since i was a kid, from december till march. And then i MOVED, 8 years ago, to the much hotter Buenos Aires that has NO ocean or river or anything you can swim into or get into to beare the incredibly hot summers.

So, when i lived in a much cooler city i had the ocean all for me and only could use it 3 months a year. Now that i live in a city in when i could get in the ocean 7 months a year due to temperature here, i dont have an ocean!!!

This made me HATE summer for the last 8 years (i didnt hate it when i lived in the beach city, much colder) but now, if everything goes right, im gonna be moving in a month to an appartment with amenities that includes a POOL. So, this will make my summer much much much better!!!

I hope it happens.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 7,114,541 times
I lived in an apartment complex for several years that had a very nice pool, and I never used it. The idea never even crossed my mind. I think for me it's partially the inconvenience factor. Having to change clothes, have towels handy, a place to put my clothes while swimming, making sure my wet bare feet don't get filthy before I can put my shoes back on, trying to get dry enough so that my clothes don't stick to me when I put them back on, etc. It's just a lot of trouble to do something that, to me, is only moderately enjoyable at best. Of course, everyone is different so what is just slightly enjoyable to me may naturally be tremendous fun to someone else.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,443,977 times
Watersports are some my most favourite activities.
I'd be flat-out enraged at an entire year without being able to get into water.
I cannot go 1 month without at least thinking about being in water.
Regular swimming is often a bit dull for me, but I'll sometimes do it just to train for other watersports.

It's been a passion of mine since childhood.
It's probably one of the top reasons I despise even a luke-warm summer.
And another reason why I hate most of the year in Canada.
The thought of a year without a high of 85 F/30 C makes me shudder.
I don't even like the thought of a year without a 94 F/34 C high.
Probably for me, a perfect summer will hit at least 97 F/36 C.

Where I am now, the surf is decent but most of the year I need a full-length wetsuit.
I have a good one, but extra work to get in, get out, rinse and dry.
Better than Darwin though where it's always summer, but filled with crocs!

Most of the time I do water sports, I find the water/air combo "tolerably cool" but not enjoyable.
As long as it's not too harsh, I put up with that.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM

27,998 posts, read 14,231,135 times
I like being able to swim or just wade in the water when outdoors. Don't care so much for pools. But I love the feeling of going in say, a lake, in the middle of a long hike or bike ride.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,443,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think for me it's partially the inconvenience factor. Having to change clothes, have towels handy, a place to put my clothes while swimming, making sure my wet bare feet don't get filthy before I can put my shoes back on, trying to get dry enough so that my clothes don't stick to me when I put them back on, etc. It's just a lot of trouble to do something that, to me, is only moderately enjoyable at best.
Why "need to have a towel handy?"
Wet feet? Need to put shoes on?

Most of the time I just drip-dry/air-dry.
Why not just walk barefoot until you're dry?

After swimming I feel fresh, clean, hair's very soft,
plus I love the feeling of dry air on bare skin while I wait to get dressed... IF I get dressed at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Why "need to have a towel handy?"
Wet feet? Need to put shoes on?

Most of the time I just drip-dry/air-dry.
Why not just walk barefoot until you're dry?

After swimming I feel fresh, clean, hair's very soft,
plus I love the feeling of dry air on bare skin while I wait to get dressed... IF I get dressed at all.
Maybe it's just from my personal experiences of swimming growing up in Tennessee. We'd go to someone's house with a pool and swim until our parents picked us up, so we'd have to dry off before getting in the car. Same if we went on a field trip somewhere to a public pool, plus you were expected to wear normal clothing (shirt, shorts, shoes or sandals, etc) outside of the pool, and it's no fun putting on clothes when you're soaking wet. Otherwise we'd swim in the river, which meant biking there and then walking the last portion to get to the river, through woods and over rocks (shoes required!). Afterward we'd bike home in our soaking wet clothes which would never be dry by the time I got home. Then I'd have to change clothes before going into the house, adding another layer of complication. And to top it all off, after swimming in the river one definitely does not feel clean! So much so that I wouldn't feel right sitting on the furniture, so that meant a shower right away. But I also always felt a little dirty after swimming in pools, too. Then there's also the fact that I have super sensitive eyes, and any time I'd get any water in them at all, I'd have to get a towel and wipe my eyes. Incredibly inconvenient.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Maybe it's just from my personal experiences of swimming growing up in Tennessee. We'd go to someone's house with a pool and swim until our parents picked us up, so we'd have to dry off before getting in the car. Same if we went on a field trip somewhere to a public pool, plus you were expected to wear normal clothing (shirt, shorts, shoes or sandals, etc) outside of the pool, and it's no fun putting on clothes when you're soaking wet. Otherwise we'd swim in the river, which meant biking there and then walking the last portion to get to the river, through woods and over rocks (shoes required!). Afterward we'd bike home in our soaking wet clothes which would never be dry by the time I got home. Then I'd have to change clothes before going into the house, adding another layer of complication. And to top it all off, after swimming in the river one definitely does not feel clean! So much so that I wouldn't feel right sitting on the furniture, so that meant a shower right away. But I also always felt a little dirty after swimming in pools, too. Then there's also the fact that I have super sensitive eyes, and any time I'd get any water in them at all, I'd have to get a towel and wipe my eyes. Incredibly inconvenient.
Hike in Tevas. Then you don't have to worry about wearing shoes. Bike back in your bathing suit. If it's hot, it's more comfortable than wearing clothes, and it feels like you're going through a hot air dryer (did that once after swimming on a 94F day).

Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hike in Tevas. Then you don't have to worry about wearing shoes. Bike back in your bathing suit. If it's hot, it's more comfortable than wearing clothes, and it feels like you're going through a hot air dryer (did that once after swimming on a 94F day).
Sandles don't work for me. I don't know why, but I just can't stand wearing them; they just never feel right. I've also always felt weird not wearing a shirt unless I'm swimming. I'm extremely pale and so it's awkward to not wear a shirt in public. And without a shirt I'd have to slather most of my upper body in sunscreen, and I always hated the way that feels, too. It's basically just more trouble than it's worth, to me. I also think that I have a problem with being wet (unless I'm taking a shower). I also HATE being covered in sweat, and having my clothes soaked with sweat, which is a similar sensation to wearing wet clothes after swimming. Of course, in my last decade or so of living in TN, I came to hate summer so much that I would always just stay indoors whenever possible. No swimming or sweating, just hibernating whenever I wasn't at work. And that's the whole reason I moved across the country!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM

Hmm. I'm unlikely to burn unless I'm spending the whole day outside.

I was in Washington for part of the summer. I found the temperatures comfortable, but I missed having water warm enough to dip myself in. I love the feeling of going in water and having all your sweatiness disappear.

I found a lake in Eastern Washington that was warm enough and I was very happy. Felt like a highlight of my time in Washington. Glad to hear you found a better climate for your tastes. I liked Western Washington.

I attached a few photos of the lake in Eastern Washington and one of a spot a bit north of the lake
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming-dsc_0414.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0417.jpg   Swimming-dsc_0410.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather