U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

18,267 posts, read 8,358,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Haha, nope, not confusing it with heat index - if you take the heat indexes for those days I posted, they're around 38°C or over.

But we are faced with a very particular topography. The city of Nice is narrowly stuck between the Alps (north) and the warm waters of the Mediterranean (south), which makes it hard for the daytime heating to radiate at night. Add a significant urban heat island, and you get much warmer downtown temps than at our airport station, which doesn't benefit at all from either of those effects, as it is situated over the sea on reclaimed land, and in an area which is not enclosed by hills and mountains unlike downtown - it's rather the opposite as the airport is facing the notoriously cool winds from the neighboring Var Valley. So the heat hardly builds up in summer there, hence it is poorly reflecting our real temps despite official summers average hi/lows of 20-27°C, which is already not bad in itself for an European location.

To get an idea of the difference in topography :

Downtown : http://www.solucior.com/example/nice.jpg
Airport : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ce_airport.jpg
Interesting. I had no idea that heat indexes can be that high in France so close to the shore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM

4,942 posts, read 3,143,632 times
I wish i would spend the summer in Nice. Not only is beautiful, but prob the heat feels 10 times less heated than insane Buenos Aires.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:18 PM

10,436 posts, read 5,492,032 times
Quote:
Please go back to what I wrote previously - I'm not talking about "Southern France" in general, I'm talking about a particular month (July '10) in Nice when we had a good dozen of days with highs above 29-30°C and lows above 24°C, sometimes up to 25.5°C - data available - and all of this at the notoriously cool and windy airport station, not reflecting the actual city temps, a few degrees higher - how is that fundamentally different from the typical 21-32°C (70-89°F) summer day in Atlanta? And during most of these days I was doing manual work inside and outside a tropical greenhouse, between 9am and 4pm under endless summer sunshine (more than 12 hours a day for that month), yet I felt perfectly comfortable.

If you can read French : this article basically explains the large difference between official temperature readings in Nice, and the actual downtown values in the middle of summer, with lows of 26°C and highs of 35°C common during heatwaves - the difference between both stations is so huge that they asked the Minister of Health to set up a new station downtown for a more efficient heatwave management.
Rudy Salles.com - Météo : pourquoi la température à Nice est-elle toujours minorée ? (http://www.rudy-salles.com/article.php3?id_article=681 - broken link)

And now the official temp readings for Nice in July 2010 :
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Nice

And if July 2010 doesn't convince you, try August 2003 (Hong Kongish) or July 2006.

If I still haven't managed to convince you that Nice is indeed fully comparable, to say the least, to southeastern US, well, I give up.
But, yes, I know what's subtropical heat, I know how it feels to perform hours of manual work in those conditions, and, once again, I officially enjoy hot weather.
Fair enough. But it's not nearly as constant as the heat in the southern US, nor is the sun as strong is Nice. What were the dewpoints and heat indicies?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,440,309 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is that our official summer averages of 20-27°C are about as different from the actual downtown temps as those of LA Airport or Santa Monica are from Downtown LA. To a point where local politicians are requesting a new station from the Health Ministry...just imagine what it feels like when we have an official month with 24-31°C or even 23-29°C average, add a few degrees at least for real temps and you're equally warm or warmer than Atlanta for instance.

Honestly on some days last summer it felt much warmer in downtown Nice than on a typical Singapore day.

I think I understand what you’re trying to say: The “official “temps for Nice are recorded along or near the coast, not downtown, where it’s likely hotter. It’s fair to say that Nice is a bit hotter than its numbers might lead one to believe. Keep in mind; many cities have their weather stations near the coast or at the airport, not downtown, so it’s fair to say that many cities suffer from this issue as well.

However, ….I would have to agree with others...I think it’s a bit unrealistic to compare the summer heat/length of hot season in Nice/southern France to the torrid heat and high heat index’s of the Gulf/South Atlantic states. While Nice might have had a “good dozen days” with highs above 29 C/85 F …that is still 5 to 7 F cooler than the average summer highs in many cities in the Gulf/southeast. The average summer high in Savannah, GA or Mobile, AL (with the reporting station located at the cooler rural airports) is 90 -93 F/ 31-34 C…then add in dew points in the lower 70’s and the heat index is always over 100 F /37 C. Also, unlike the “dozen days” that get hot temps in Nice…many cities in the Gulf/South Atlantic average more than three months with daytime highs of 90 F/30 C or higher and heat indexes of 100 F/37 F or higher.

Now if your want to really laugh (or get sick to your stomach - lol)…consider when there is a “few dozen days” when high temps are bit above normal in the Gulf/SE;

Take this past July – there were 11 days in Savannah when the daily high was from 97 to 99 F/35 to 37 C (about 5 F above normal). Of course, on those days it’s a good bet that the southerly tropical flow was blowing hard - so dew points were at least near 70 F…so the heat index on those days was in the 108 – 110 F range (42 – 43 C range). Of course, these were the conditions at the “cool rural Savannah Hunter Airport” – imagine what it was "downtown" with all the pavement (lol).

I've spent a few summers in South Carolina/Georgia...after which 85 F and low humidty feels "cool" - lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,586,438 times
The one good thing about hot and humid weather is laziness becomes acceptable.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think I understand what you’re trying to say: The “official “temps for Nice are recorded along or near the coast, not downtown, where it’s likely hotter. It’s fair to say that Nice is a bit hotter than its numbers might lead one to believe. Keep in mind; many cities have their weather stations near the coast or at the airport, not downtown, so it’s fair to say that many cities suffer from this issue as well.

However, ….I would have to agree with others...I think it’s a bit unrealistic to compare the summer heat/length of hot season in Nice/southern France to the torrid heat and high heat index’s of the Gulf/South Atlantic states. While Nice might have had a “good dozen days” with highs above 29 C/85 F …that is still 5 to 7 F cooler than the average summer highs in many cities in the Gulf/southeast. The average summer high in Savannah, GA or Mobile, AL (with the reporting station located at the cooler rural airports) is 90 -93 F/ 31-34 C…then add in dew points in the lower 70’s and the heat index is always over 100 F /37 C. Also, unlike the “dozen days” that get hot temps in Nice…many cities in the Gulf/South Atlantic average more than three months with daytime highs of 90 F/30 C or higher and heat indexes of 100 F/37 F or higher.

Now if your want to really laugh (or get sick to your stomach - lol)…consider when there is a “few dozen days” when high temps are bit above normal in the Gulf/SE;

Take this past July – there were 11 days in Savannah when the daily high was from 97 to 99 F/35 to 37 C (about 5 F above normal). Of course, on those days it’s a good bet that the southerly tropical flow was blowing hard - so dew points were at least near 70 F…so the heat index on those days was in the 108 – 110 F range (42 – 43 C range). Of course, these were the conditions at the “cool rural Savannah Hunter Airport” – imagine what it was "downtown" with all the pavement (lol).

I've spent a few summers in South Carolina/Georgia...after which 85 F and low humidty feels "cool" - lol.
Exactly right. There is no place in Europe that can compare to the heat that the U.S. experiences, except Spain. Highs in the mid to upper 90s and low 100s across the interior of Spain persist for the whole summer, compared to southern France which doesn't get much hotter than upper 80s on most days. I said also that ok, I believe you that for a brief time it gets that hot, but does that heat stay around for 3 months? Of course not. Only in Spain is that possible in Europe

Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 AM

Is Spain THAT hot really? I know a lot of people that live there and came back (you know both countries arg and spain have been the receiving end for one another for crisis - first spaniards conquer us, then they emigrate on the beggining of the 20 century, then argentinians went there on 2001 crisis, and now that theyre in a crisis and we are better, spaniards come live here. I mean thousand of arg there, thousand of spaniards here) no one complaint about the hot in spain, more about the cold they had to suffer in spain winter.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Is Spain THAT hot really? I know a lot of people that live there and came back (you know both countries arg and spain have been the receiving end for one another for crisis - first spaniards conquer us, then they emigrate on the beggining of the 20 century, then argentinians went there on 2001 crisis, and now that theyre in a crisis and we are better, spaniards come live here. I mean thousand of arg there, thousand of spaniards here) no one complaint about the hot in spain, more about the cold they had to suffer in spain winter.
Yes, Spain does get that hot, especially where my ancestors are from (Andalucía). Also, Spain is cold in the winter time as well, they have a very continental climate but with Mediterranean influences. It's similar to California's Central Valley which can get cold in the winter. Remember, too, Spanish houses have poor insulation and no carpeted floors and are made more to dissipate heat than keep it in, that's why Spanish complain about the cold. In Madrid, for example, the summer temperature is usually 32-37°C degrees everyday and winter time is 4-10°C degrees. The good part is, humidity is low in the interior. Winter time lows, though, are around 0°C. Northern Castilla-León and Castilla-La Mancha are the coldest parts of Spain and they can be cold like -4°C many nights.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the info .

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 AM

933 posts, read 856,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
The one good thing about hot and humid weather is laziness becomes acceptable.
you're right! I do feel rather lazy in hot weather. Cold weather makes me more productive. If I were to live in a tropical country, I would probably be dirt poor like most of of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather