Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times

Advertisements

I am not a summer beach person.... I don't go into the water.

I like about 68 degrees and *empty* beaches.

Can't beat it.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
My personal optimal beach weather:

Air temperature: Anywhere from 80 to 95 degrees.

Water temperature: Anywhere from 72 degrees to 88 degrees.

Sky condition: Most of the time sunny. But sometimes I can also enjoy a beach when it is cloudy/rainy/windy too.

My all time favorite beach experiences:

-Cancun Mexico and Tulum Mexico.

-Pacific Coastline of Costa Rica: Most days I went it was cloudy with a lot of rain during the night time but still great beach experiences there.

-Black sea coastline of Romania.

- Cannon Beach Oregon: It did not meet my personal optimal beach weather for air and water temp but the beach was so scenic it almost did not even matter! The water was too cold to go in though. It was mid summer and only 63 degrees for the high temperature, windy, and icy cold sand. Water temp probably around low to mid 50s.

-Los Angeles California: I went in mid February when it was 85 degrees. Interesting that Los Angeles beaches were warmer for air temp during mid February 2009 than mid summer July/August 2011.

-The Beaches around San Francisco: Same explanation as Cannon Beach Oregon lol.

-Jacob Riis Park Breezy Point Far Rockaway Beach in New York City: Mostly just because it was so awesome to be on a scenic deserted beach in a city that is normally so crowded. I did not know NYC even had a decent beach that can be deserted until I visited this beach!

I also went two days before Hurricane Irene came so it is interesting to be at that beach before a storm like that and this is when people thought Irene was going to be much worse. I went in the water and the waves were not that big.

Seattle: Lol, just like Cannon Beach and San Francisco it did not meet my optical beach weather for air and water temp but Alki Beach is so scenic there with the Seattle skyline right there, Cascade/Olympic mountain ranges, and charming buildings and vibe around Alki Beach.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
i find 90 f water weather way too warm!!! How do u cool off with that water weather??
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have no idea lol. I've never been to the Gulf of Mexico (or the Gulf of California which has similar temperatures), add to the fact that it's super hot in that region during the summer, I can't comprehend it. Not even the Caribbean is that warm
Actually, most of the Gulf of Mexico get into the mid to upper 80s. There are only a few exceptions where it reaches the 90 degree mark.

The Persian Gulf (a body of water that is an extension of the Indian Ocean) gets warmer than the Gulf of Mexico with water temperature in summer getting up to the mid 90s (94 to 96 degrees) such as around the city of Dubai and Kuwait City. This is when Dubai gets as warm as 106 to 118 degrees and Kuwait City 110 to 123 degrees with low temps around 90.

I assume some summers the Persian Gulf water around Kuwait City might even get up to the low 100s. Recent summers over there are hotter than even the average such as 120/90 instead of 116/87. One day last summer I remember seeing a high of 123 with a low of 95 there…

I think even some hardcore warmth/heat lovers would find that excessive.

I don’t even want to know what warmth/heat haters would think of think. Lol
Warmth/heat haters at the very least would probably feel like this:

Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
Overcast and in the 50s with a brisk wind.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
80F-85F air temperature, 70F-80F sea surface. I actually prefer the water on the cool side, perhaps because I'm used to swimming in Lake Superior, which reaches its warmest temperatures (60-65F) between late July and early-mid September. I "sort of" swam on it (immersed to about my thighs) in early October, though.

My first and best OCEAN swimming experience was in April 2005 in Costa Rica. I was on the Pacific Coast on a class trip, and after a long day of bus travel we arrived at Puerto Quepos, Costa Rica. After changing into our swimsuits, we went to swim at one of the city's beaches. The sun was setting over the ocean, the water was cool but not cold, the waves high, and the air was warm and humid - the perfect combination. It was everything that I imagined a perfect swimming experience to be.

I've also swam in both the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean at Tarifa, Spain in late May - one was a good temperature, the other too cold - and at the Gulf of Mexico in Paraiso (Tabasco), Mexico in late March, which was about as cold as Lake Superior in late August / early September.

The sunburn after spending the entire next day at the beach, however, basically ruined my trip.

Last edited by tvdxer; 10-15-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Default Hot!

Air temp: 95 +
Water Temp: 80 +

Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
^^ I might tire of Kuwaity summer heat after a few days.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ I might tire of Kuwaity summer heat after a few days.
A Kuwaiti summer has ""average"" maximums of over 110F.
95F is more like April or October.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
1+

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Depending on the beach and what you're planning on doing there, I actually agree. Some landscapes just suit bleak weather. Here's one of my favourite beaches (also a protected wildlife sanctuary). Hot, sunny weather would just ruin the ambiance
Attached Thumbnails
What is your optimum beach weather?-pict0175.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather