Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,164 times

Advertisements

I always thought the weather in PA sucked, but it looks like weather in most places is bad for more than half the year.

In PA... its too cold from Nov thru March. May and June are perfect. August and Sept are really nice as well. July is hot as hell. And about half of April and October are pleasantly warm, and the other half of each month is chilly. So that means May, June, Aug, Sept, and 1/2 of Apr and Oct, giving you 5 months of good weather.

I always thought I wanted to move to Texas or somewhere warm, but when i look at it, it doesn't seem to be that much better. Its very nice in Oct, Nov, Mar, Apr, and May. June thru Sept is hot as hell. Dec thru Feb is cold, although not as cold as PA, but still not nice.

It seems like whether you live in a warm or cold climate, unless you live on the California coast or maybe parts of Florida, the weather is only really good for 5 months at best. Are there any places that aren't super expensive where they get a lot of "spring" weather? Or is it true that most places have weather that is either too cold or too hot for the majority of the year? I don't know how much better off i would be in a Southern climate when i really look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Depends on your definition of good weather. I prefer the winter season to summer.. so I guess 3 - 4 good months then a boring, nondescript summer.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
'Good' weather to me is 20-25C and sunny though I can appreciate a good gale/fog/thunderstorm/snowfall, and there's about a five-month window from mid/late April to mid/late September where you can realistically get days like that, but that question doesn't apply to my climate as the day-to-day weather is too unpredictable. One April/August/November etc is not necessarily going to be anything like the next one.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I always thought the weather in PA sucked, but it looks like weather in most places is bad for more than half the year.

In PA... its too cold from Nov thru March. May and June are perfect. August and Sept are really nice as well. July is hot as hell. And about half of April and October are pleasantly warm, and the other half of each month is chilly. So that means May, June, Aug, Sept, and 1/2 of Apr and Oct, giving you 5 months of good weather.

I always thought I wanted to move to Texas or somewhere warm, but when i look at it, it doesn't seem to be that much better. Its very nice in Oct, Nov, Mar, Apr, and May. June thru Sept is hot as hell. Dec thru Feb is cold, although not as cold as PA, but still not nice.

It seems like whether you live in a warm or cold climate, unless you live on the California coast or maybe parts of Florida, the weather is only really good for 5 months at best. Are there any places that aren't super expensive where they get a lot of "spring" weather? Or is it true that most places have weather that is either too cold or too hot for the majority of the year? I don't know how much better off i would be in a Southern climate when i really look at it.
Coastal Oregon? Lack of jobs though, and they are all no bigger than a small city

Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Hawaii has good weather most of the year. Not too hot in summer especially with the trade winds.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,020 times
Looking at Philadelphia, there are quite a few climates you'd find good all year around. Many major tropical cities are in highland areas where the weather fits in with your ''good month'' averages of Philadelphia all year round:

Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_city#Climate
Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really, almost everywhere in the tropics all one has to do is go up and altitude and one finds many, many cities that exist in a perpetual mild summer or spring temperature.

If altitude isn't your thing, then there are a number of mild subtropical climates dotted around the globe, from deserts:

Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Walvis Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To southerly Mediterranean climates:

Tijuana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Valparaíso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To a number of southern-hemisphere sub-tropical climates:

Durban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Newcastle, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you allowed a month or two outside your Philly ideal month temperature ranges, your options extend to include huge swaths of Africa, Australia, South America and a good deal of Asia.

It's only in the USA that you're stuck with Hawaii, South Florida, or California, but hey - at least you have those options!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
No consensus on "good" - which is fair enough.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Looking at Philadelphia, there are quite a few climates you'd find good all year around. Many major tropical cities are in highland areas where the weather fits in with your ''good month'' averages of Philadelphia all year round:

Addis Ababa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_city#Climate
Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really, almost everywhere in the tropics all one has to do is go up and altitude and one finds many, many cities that exist in a perpetual mild summer or spring temperature.

If altitude isn't your thing, then there are a number of mild subtropical climates dotted around the globe, from deserts:

Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Walvis Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To southerly Mediterranean climates:

Tijuana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Valparaíso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To a number of southern-hemisphere sub-tropical climates:

Durban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Newcastle, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you allowed a month or two outside your Philly ideal month temperature ranges, your options extend to include huge swaths of Africa, Australia, South America and a good deal of Asia.

It's only in the USA that you're stuck with Hawaii, South Florida, or California, but hey - at least you have those options!
Some fascinating climates you've listed. When I think of climates that have little temperature variation, I generally think of places that stay pretty cold or very hot. But these all appear to be perpetually mild. If I ever stop liking cold weather but still hate really hot weather, Valparaíso looks like a nice choice.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I think many places in the Western U.S. have better weather because it's east of the "humidity line". Here in Denver, we have low humidity year-round, and that's much more conducive to outdoor living. From about mid May to early October, there will be some time nearly every day where it's pleasant to be outdoors. If it's 100 degrees during the day, by 7 p.m. it starts cooling down. Then in Winter, due to the strong sun and low humidity, there are many days where it's pleasant to be outdoors during the afternoon. Plus we get days up in the 60s or even low 70s here and there from Nov. - March. So most homes here have porches or some outdoor living area, and many restaurants have outdoor dining.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Buenos aires good weather months:

April- May (autumm): April is a bit on the "too warm" side (specially cause youre worn out of just leaving the hot summers) but it actually has a very nice average highs and lows and is overall a very nice month. May is perfect, cooler, really pleasant weather.

June-August (winter): cold spells aside, winters in BA are really nice and pleasant. My favourite time of the year. Some lovely sunny days in the 13-17 celsius, some rainy days in 12 celsius, some coldish nights at 8-9, some cloudy days around 10c. Overall the winter here is very very good.

September-October: Lovely spring months. Its not hot yet. And, though some days in october could get to be 30 ceslius (like 2 days ago) its not common, usually days are warm and nights are cool (between 12-24). September have been particulary awesome this year. Sunny and warm.

First half of november: usually sunny days in the 20s, lovely nights in the 15s or so. Since average high for november is 26 celsius, this means the first half is on the nice side (20 to 25 average high) and the second half usually gets to be 30 ceslius and more and i dont find it pleasant anymore. So first part of november it is.

So, i see we have basically from april till half of november of good weather. Thats 7 months and a half. Pretty good.

Of course the rest 4 months and a half are so incredibly unpleasant and awfully hot that they make me hate this climate even if it has some undisputable lovely and pleasant 7 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather