Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as the “striking difference between the moist subtropics of Australia and the USA… versus those of China, Japan, ect”…in terms of sunshine your likely right, the American and Australian humid subtropical zones (Cfa) are significantly sunnier than their East Asian counterparts. However, if you also mean be moisture “rainfall”…
I was using the term moist sub-tropics to mean these kind of climates:

Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Versus this looser definition of subtropical:

Subtropics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I said nothing about rainfall, only cloud cover.

Quote:
Chongqing’s elevation close to 1000 likely contributes to its very cloudy skies. I don’t know what annual sun hrs are in cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, ..etc but they are likely nearly double the hrs of Chongqing. In fact, fall and winter are generally sunny and dry in much of East Asia…much more than a station like Seattle I would think.
While a number of places in east Asia are sunnier in winter, the overall sunshine totals are lower than Seattle in just about the entire subtropical zone of East Asia. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Osaka are all considerably more cloudy than Seattle.

Taipei is a great example. Desipte being right near the tropic of Cancer ( and there for far more hours of daylight in winter, cloudy or sunny ), its cloudiest month gets just 71.3 hours of sunlight and its sunniest month creeps up to just 179.0hours, roughly half what Seattle gets on its sunniest month.

My ideal climate is rainy hot summers alternating with mild sunny winters, so the first place I looked was China with its summer monsoon, but surprisingly, its really only Yunnan in the far south-west that experiences sunny winters to any noticeable degree; most of the rest of the sub-tropical Far East area is grimmest in winter, desipte summer percipitation maximums. There just isn't a solidly sunny season for most of it.

Check out these spots dotted around the Far East to see what I mean.

It is a little better in the northern end of the range, though still on-par with much of Europe and below PNW standards:

Tokyo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fukuoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shanghai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But as one heads south and inland things get quite dire in terms of sunlight. Hong Kong is pretty much on par with the aforementioned, but many major cities are even dimmer:

Hanoi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Taipei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guangzhou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chengdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fuzhou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nanning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only places I've seen with really strongly decernable sunny winter / cloudy summer pattern are places in the region of this city:

Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only a few spots on the northern border of the zone are in any way sunny:

Busan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Qingdao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the flip side, many of China's northern and far-western climates are mostly on the sunny side:

Beijing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harbin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ürümqi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lhasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan and Korea's climates kind of suck even in the north, though, if you like sun:

Seoul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Niigata, Niigata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sapporo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heading southward, one has to go mid-way through Vietnam's tropics before getting above-Seattle levels of sunshine:

Da Nang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post

But as one heads south and inland things get quite dire in terms of sunlight. Hong Kong is pretty much on par with the aforementioned, but many major cities are even dimmer:

The only places I've seen with really strongly decernable sunny winter / cloudy summer pattern are places in the region of this city:

On the flip side, many of China's northern and far-western climates are mostly on the sunny side:

Japan and Korea's climates kind of suck even in the north, though, if you like sun:

Heading southward, one has to go mid-way through Vietnam's tropics before getting above-Seattle levels of sunshine:

This accords well with a sunshine duration map I photocopied from an old tome long ago. It shows a smallish area of east-central Asia with over 3000 hours, and a very small zone in the southeast with less than 1000.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Quote:

While a number of places in east Asia are sunnier in winter, the overall sunshine totals are lower than Seattle in just about the entire subtropical zone of East Asia. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Osaka are all considerably more cloudy than Seattle.

Taipei is a great example. Desipte being right near the tropic of Cancer ( and there for far more hours of daylight in winter, cloudy or sunny ), its cloudiest month gets just 71.3 hours of sunlight and its sunniest month creeps up to just 179.0hours, roughly half what Seattle gets on its sunniest month.

My ideal climate is rainy hot summers alternating with mild sunny winters, so the first place I looked was China with its summer monsoon, but surprisingly, its really only Yunnan in the far south-west that experiences sunny winters to any noticeable degree; most of the rest of the sub-tropical Far East area is grimmest in winter, desipte summer percipitation maximums. There just isn't a solidly sunny season for most of it.

It is a little better in the northern end of the range, though still on-par with much of Europe and below PNW standards:

Very interesting, thanks

Hong Kong however has what you might want to call a solid sunny season. Around 180/h a month from Oct to Dec, that's not too bad - at least for Asian standards.
From my time spent there, fall felt really sunny, but late winter and early spring were memorably bad. I was in HK in Feb 2010 when they recorded only 30 hours of sun in the whole month (around 10%) including two completely overcast weeks

Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Chongqing for me. Phoenix is too sunny, Chongqing is too cloudy, both are too warm!

But.. Chongqing is the best out of a terrible situation.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Chongquig anytime over Phoenix

Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
I'd go for Chongqing if it was cooler (hot and cloudy = worst combination for me) and less polluted (presumably the 1055 hours would be higher if it weren't for the heavy industry) as then it really wouldn't be that different to what I know, but as it is I have to grudgingly go for Phoenix, as at least winters are very pleasant.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,613 times
Geez, I have a choice between living in a place with summer temperatures hot enough to make a brass doorknob mushy or a grotesquely overcrowded burg with air thick enough to cut with a chainsaw. What fun!

Neither is at all appealing and I would trade the both of them for a bottle of warm ale, flat as ink.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:18 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:

First let me just post a climate classification map so we can see the two climate zones in East Asia:

I agree (esp after seeing all this great data you linked)… that no doubt subtropical (Cfa) East Asia is far less sunny than Cfa sectors in the USA/Australia. I’m a bit shocked to see the numbers from Hong Kong, Shanghai, Fuzhou…ect (1600/1900 hrs). I’ve read that the air pollution in East China is the worst on earth – perhaps this has something to do with how sun hrs is calculated there? Dadh’s comments (above) are insightful - I would have fully expected it to be dry and sunny in Hong Kong in fall and winter (yet I would have thought more like Oct – March, than Oct – Dec as dadh tells us above). It’s informative to when you have someone who has lived in a climate long enough to give you the insight into its true character. Still, I’m no less shocked at Hong Kong’s numbers.

Moving north into the eastern Temperate zones of East Asia (Dca/Dcb)…the sun hours (2500/2600 hrs/annually) at stations like Beijing, Qingdao, Busan(Pusan), are actually very close to the sun hrs of stations in the eastern temperate zone of the USA (cities NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore…etc). So there is little difference between the far eastern seaboard cities of East Asia and the middle East Coast of the USA . I expected sun hrs to go down as you get into the higher latitudes of northeast Asia and get closer to the cold season polar lows…so stations like Seoul and Sapporo (1700 – 2100 hrs/ann), are the equivalent of heading above NYC into the New England states and Canadian Maritimes.

As to the point you’re trying to make (if I understand you correctly) – that Seattle, is not as gloomy as it’s sun hrs makes it seem…perhaps we misunderstood the point each of us was trying to make (lol). I agree, Seattle is not the most sun starved city/region on earth of course. My point was more one of the differecnce in climate zones and climate genetics; as a rule, Temperate Oceanic climates are cloudy/have low sun hours….and Humid Subtropical climates are sunny/have high sun hours. True, the USA and Australian humid subtropical climates are unusually sunny (and your data from the Cfa stations in East Asia certainly reminds me of that!). However, there might be something to be said for subtropical East Asia being unusually cloudy for its climate type as well perhaps? For example Buenos Aires near 32 S – a very typical Cfa climate in South America, gets about 2543 hrs of sun annually – still more than 500 hrs annually than Seattle. That was kind of my point I guess - you can't expect to compare sun hrs in Do zones and Cfa zones.

Buenos Aires Climate Information - ClimateTemp.info, Making Sense of Average Monthly Temperature & Weather Data with Detailed Climate Graphs That Portray Average Rainfall & Sunshine Hours

Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,020 times
Quote:
Moving north into the eastern Temperate zones of East Asia (Dca/Dcb)…the sun hours (2500/2600 hrs/annually) at stations like Beijing, Qingdao, Busan(Pusan), are actually very close to the sun hrs of stations in the eastern temperate zone of the USA (cities NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore…etc). So there is little difference between the far eastern seaboard cities of East Asia and the middle East Coast of the USA . I expected sun hrs to go down as you get into the higher latitudes of northeast Asia and get closer to the cold season polar lows…so stations like Seoul and Sapporo (1700 – 2100 hrs/ann), are the equivalent of heading above NYC into the New England states and Canadian Maritimes.
Something I notice strongly in the Far East is that there seems to be a much greater difference between inland and coastal climates than in North America. Compare these, all around 43 north:

Portland, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amount of Sunshine Monthly for Maine - Current Results( classic New England climate )

Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ( far inland, but not too different )

- with -

Sapporo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ( gloomy )

Changchun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ( on the sunny side for a continental climate )

Though this is just an aside, looking through China's weather has kind of convinced me that in China it's better to like year-round warmth OR sunshine: there isn't a place with much of both.

Quote:
As to the point you’re trying to make (if I understand you correctly) – that Seattle, is not as gloomy as it’s sun hrs makes it seem…perhaps we misunderstood the point each of us was trying to make (lol)..
If I had a point on that other thread ( this one was genuinely started in the spirit of sun versus gloom ) it was that Seattle wasn't an extreme climate in terms of rainfall totals or lack of sun. There are cloudier deserts, tropical forests, subtropics, really, almost every type of climate out there that has a representative cloudier than Seattle, and Seattle itself is far from being the worst in its climate category. People visiting or living in Seattle often describe it as some supernatural vortex of cloud, and it's just not that special or even noteworthy outside of a reference to the continental US. Rainfall is pretty standard for a climate of its type, too.

Yet, just go north of the Argentina and Uruguay area, and sunshine totals go down again. While not as low on the whole as East Asia, much of Brazil is variably sunny at best, including gloom spots like these:

São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manaus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I don't mind totals between 1500-2000 if the climate is warm, so I'd like all of these!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
If I had a point on that other thread ( this one was genuinely started in the spirit of sun versus gloom ) it was that Seattle wasn't an extreme climate in terms of rainfall totals or lack of sun. There are cloudier deserts, tropical forests, subtropics, really, almost every type of climate out there that has a representative cloudier than Seattle, and Seattle itself is far from being the worst in its climate category. People visiting or living in Seattle often describe it as some supernatural vortex of cloud, and it's just not that special or even noteworthy outside of a reference to the continental US. Rainfall is pretty standard for a climate of its type, too.
I was trying to argue a similar point. Seattle only looks bad when you compare it much of the USA, and once you compare it to the northern parts of the Northeast, it's not too much worse. Compare it to Eastern or Atlantic Canada at a similar latitude and Seattle likely comes out better (Nova Scotia & Newfoundland) or no worse (Ontario and Quebec).

As temperate oceanic climates go, Seattle is at the high end of sunshine. Hmm. This might be true as well "as Mediterranean Climates go, California is near the high of sunshine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather