U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Christchurch
A 7 12.73%
B 16 29.09%
C 14 25.45%
D 12 21.82%
F 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,680,069 times
Reputation: 14764

Advertisements

B-. Ideally I'd have colder winter temperatures, slightly cooler summer temperatures, and a little more precipitation. It's actually fairly similar to where I live now, but drier, slightly sunnier, and with warmer winter average highs. Incidentally, I'd rate my own climate a B+ or A-.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,755 posts, read 39,754,540 times
Reputation: 14675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What do you mean by adjacent? In Idaho for instance Boise gets 400 sunshine hours in July vs. 105 in December. That is quite a seasonal variation. Spokane goes from 381 hours in July to 59 hours in December.
Whoops I should have written adjacent to the Pacific Coast. I was thinking of the Oregon Coast, Eureka, CA and San Francisco, CA and similar places. I was refering to seasonal variation in temperatures not sunshine; I misread the previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
15,919 posts, read 12,501,905 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Christchurch is better compared to northern Spain, as they're at similar latitudes.

A Coruña - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rather similar temps and sunshine.
Interesting stats. I don't know why nights are so much warmer, particularly during winter. Chch seems less oceanic than A Coruna, as far as diurnal range goes. The same applies to my local station, which has minimums as cold as Christchurch and more frosts (the recording site is only 150m from the beach and very exposed). It can't just be the extra sunshine hours that make the nights for Chch and here colder. It could be because there are more rainfall days, even though the rainfall is lower and therefore less starry nights. Although looking at Nice's stats, they have less rainfall days, similar sunshine hours (during winter) similar max temps, and yet are 3-4 C warmer on winter nights.

I don't know why there is such a difference in winter minimums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
1,709 posts, read 2,558,902 times
Reputation: 1188
Pretty good, I'll give it a B. Dropping winter temps by 5°C would make it an A/A- and 10°C an A+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
4,986 posts, read 6,280,354 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

Originally Posted by RWood
30-year average sunshine for Ch'ch is 2145 hours, about 50-51% of the recordable. The seasonal variation is small - the sunniest months by % get about 53%, and only 3 months are below the 50 mark.


Do you know why that is (not just for Chch, but for NZ at large) when it's not the case in other maritime climates like the PNW and Western Europe? I assume having a shorter sea track on a westerly/northwesterly plays a factor, but then unlike us you don't have a big land mass to the east to counteract it.
It's not that simple. Most North Island locations, especially in the west and south, have a difference of up to 12% between sunniest and cloudiest months - a few are at about the 6-8% mark.

In the South Island the topography and other factors make it more complicated. In the northern parts late summer/early autumn are brightest and mid-spring + December are cloudiest, with a range of about 6-8%. On the southern coast and adjacaent areas mid-autumn and early winter are cloudiest, with uniform values from about September to February, range about 10%. In the hinterland valleys of Central Otago there are late summer and mid-spring maxima with a marked low in midwinter due to fogs. Queenstown is brightest in late summer, a little less so in mid-autumn and spring, and cloudiest in winter. The West Coast is dullest in winter and early spring in the north, and in spring in the south, with maxima in summer in the north and late winter in the south.

Most of South Canterbury and North Otago east of the main ranges are clearly brightest in winter and cloudiest in early summer, with a range of up to 10%. At Dunedin the annual range is only 4-5% but there are clear double maxima and minima nonetheless.

Christchurch does not quite fit any of these cases, with a slight drop in midwinter and December and little variation amongst the other months.

Explaining these variations would take a lot of analysis.

Last edited by RWood; 10-27-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
2,688 posts, read 3,767,775 times
Reputation: 1494
Interesting to hear people's comments. It seems to be better regarded by cold lovers than heat lovers and is generally regarded as boring. From the averages I'd say it is fairly similar to London, Seattle and Paris for the most part.

I would rate my climate a C. While it is generally much too cool and cloudy for my tastes it lacks extremes of heat and cold and, while summer warmth is never guaranteed, it can have warm (or at least mild), sunny weather at any time of year (for me this is preferable to having a guaranteed warm, sunny summer but also a guaranteed cold, gloomy winter).

An interesting feature of this climate is the Nor'wester Foehn winds. As a result of these winds the hottest summer days here are often overcast and windy, which seems like a strange combination but it's actually quite nice. There's nothing like 85 F with bone-dry humidity, overcast skies and 50 MPH winds.

I complain about this climate a lot, but after having seen a lot of these "rate the climate" threads I know that even though there are many better climates in the world there are also a lot of climates that are much worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
4,986 posts, read 6,280,354 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Interesting to hear people's comments. It seems to be better regarded by cold lovers than heat lovers and is generally regarded as boring. From the averages I'd say it is fairly similar to London, Seattle and Paris for the most part.

I would rate my climate a C. While it is generally much too cool and cloudy for my tastes it lacks extremes of heat and cold and, while summer warmth is never guaranteed, it can have warm (or at least mild), sunny weather at any time of year (for me this is preferable to having a guaranteed warm, sunny summer but also a guaranteed cold, gloomy winter).

An interesting feature of this climate is the Nor'wester Foehn winds. As a result of these winds the hottest summer days here are often overcast and windy, which seems like a strange combination but it's actually quite nice. There's nothing like 85 F with bone-dry humidity, overcast skies and 50 MPH winds.

I complain about this climate a lot, but after having seen a lot of these "rate the climate" threads I know that even though there are many better climates in the world there are also a lot of climates that are much worse!
Agree with most of this, but Paris and particularly London are far too cloudy for a fair comparison.

I have experienced quite a substantial number of days in Chch - at varying times of year - when the arch cloud has been absent or has broken up and allowed strong sunshine. Marvellous when that happens - one occasion was a family wedding in May 1973, and the temperature reached 24C. On another I was on the Huntsbury hills in January 1979 (a month when 30C was exceeded 6 times and there were many other rather warm days) - blue sky, fresh WNW and 33C in the city - and it felt pretty warm up on the hill as well.

The much written-about day of record highs - 7 Feb 1973 - 42.4C max at Rangiora and 41.6C at Christchurch - was not actually a normal foehn NW - the lightish winds were more from W or WNW, and sunny skies allowed the maximum (no DST then) to be reached quite early in the day - it happened soon after 10am at the airport, from memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,845,922 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Agree with most of this, but Paris and particularly London are far too cloudy for a fair comparison.

I have experienced quite a substantial number of days in Chch - at varying times of year - when the arch cloud has been absent or has broken up and allowed strong sunshine. Marvellous when that happens - one occasion was a family wedding in May 1973, and the temperature reached 24C. On another I was on the Huntsbury hills in January 1979 (a month when 30C was exceeded 6 times and there were many other rather warm days) - blue sky, fresh WNW and 33C in the city - and it felt pretty warm up on the hill as well.

The much written-about day of record highs - 7 Feb 1973 - 42.4C max at Rangiora and 41.6C at Christchurch - was not actually a normal foehn NW - the lightish winds were more from W or WNW, and sunny skies allowed the maximum (no DST then) to be reached quite early in the day - it happened soon after 10am at the airport, from memory.
That's really crazy - do you know what the night/afternoon temperatures were that day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
4,986 posts, read 6,280,354 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
That's really crazy - do you know what the night/afternoon temperatures were that day?
A cool change was travelling northwards - cloudy but dry - and it lowered the temperatures to about 16C later that afternoon! However the month remained extremely dry for most of New Zealand, and was considerably warmer than average overall. Some parts of the country had record high sunshine readings for that month. A station on Mt Taranaki with an average rainfall of 460mm for the month recorded 4mm - 1% of average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 7,845,922 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
A cool change was travelling northwards - cloudy but dry - and it lowered the temperatures to about 16C later that afternoon! However the month remained extremely dry for most of New Zealand, and was considerably warmer than average overall. Some parts of the country had record high sunshine readings for that month. A station on Mt Taranaki with an average rainfall of 460mm for the month recorded 4mm - 1% of average.
41.6C in the morning - in Chch of all places - and 16C in the afternoon is surreal for anywhere in the world. Over here hot spells would generally end in a thundery breakdown, not generally the case there I imagine? I can just imagine people setting off in the morning for a day trip to the beach not checking the forecast and then later on not knowing what had hit them Do you know what it was like the day/night beforehand? Also, I notice Wellington has an very low record high - can't you get any Foehn setup on a northerly/northeasterly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top