U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Christchurch
A 7 12.73%
B 16 29.09%
C 14 25.45%
D 12 21.82%
F 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM

55 posts, read 57,613 times

Advertisements

F

cold year round, very cloudy aswell, no thunderstorms, and you have to jump on a plane for sweet relief.

7 hours of sunshine per day in summer at 43 deg latitude is pathetic when you consider that daylight is 15 hours long or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM

4,986 posts, read 6,259,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstar View Post
F

cold year round, very cloudy aswell, no thunderstorms, and you have to jump on a plane for sweet relief.

7 hours of sunshine per day in summer at 43 deg latitude is pathetic when you consider that daylight is 15 hours long or so.
Predictable reaction. "Very cloudy" by world standards is a significant exaggeration.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Predictable reaction. "Very cloudy" by world standards is a significant exaggeration.
Incidently, do you happen to know what the mean annual sunshine tally is over all populated areas (weighted by population)? I would guess around the lower 2000 bracket.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:04 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,375,211 times
How can anyone give this an F? It's hardly offensive!

Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
How can anyone give this an F? It's hardly offensive!
Heat fanatics like Asagi automatically give Fs to anything outside of the tropics.

For me, Fs are reserved for climates that are completely unliveable (Vostok Station, Dallol, etc.) or marginally liveable but extremely unpleasant year-round (Campbell Island, Grytviken, etc.)

Old 10-30-2011, 03:45 AM

4,986 posts, read 6,259,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Incidently, do you happen to know what the mean annual sunshine tally is over all populated areas (weighted by population)? I would guess around the lower 2000 bracket.
For all world sunshine stations I read somewhere that it's about 2330, and with population weighting would be a little higher I suspect. But I have no idea how the stations are distributed, so it's rather unclear really.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 AM

703 posts, read 957,101 times
I shall award it a B. Temperatures are pleasant most the year, and winter sunshine better than England. But summer sunshine levels are dissapointing, very similar to Southern England, which suggests summers are far from guaranteed to be good. Winds might be a bit annoying during the cooler half of the year, though it is nothing like as bad as Wellington in that respect, or so i hear.

I also see in many pictures of its skyline snow capped mountains nearby, a lot like LA or Seattle, so assume that Ski-ing and suchlike is available close at hand. Its nice to get your fix of snow and yet return to milder lower elevations at night for lower heating bills and to save scraping frost and snow off the car. Also nice that its a coastal city for beach and ocean activities. Is the sea around there warm enough to pleasantly swim in, I wonder?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 AM

15,860 posts, read 12,438,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I shall award it a B. Temperatures are pleasant most the year, and winter sunshine better than England. But summer sunshine levels are dissapointing, very similar to Southern England, which suggests summers are far from guaranteed to be good. Winds might be a bit annoying during the cooler half of the year, though it is nothing like as bad as Wellington in that respect, or so i hear.

I also see in many pictures of its skyline snow capped mountains nearby, a lot like LA or Seattle, so assume that Ski-ing and suchlike is available close at hand. Its nice to get your fix of snow and yet return to milder lower elevations at night for lower heating bills and to save scraping frost and snow off the car. Also nice that its a coastal city for beach and ocean activities. Is the sea around there warm enough to pleasantly swim in, I wonder?
I found the sea temperature to be fine for swimming for about 2-3 months, but knew others who always thought it too cold.

The Southern Alps are to the west, and the Kaikoura mountains to the Northwest, so plenty of skiing. There wouldn't be many places in the world that can do the ski in the morning/surf in the afternoon routine as easily as Chch. I did it a few times, but never intentionally.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 AM

500 posts, read 757,186 times
B-

I'm not impressed, but I could live here.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 AM

12 posts, read 15,413 times
I rated it a B, although I strongly considered giving it a C. I do wish the temperatures were higher, but I do like that it never gets extremely cold. I also like that the rain is evenly distributed throughout the year. I also like that, while snow is rare, it is not unheard of. That's good - if winters are going to be kind of chilly, there might as well be snow.

Thought I had after rating the climate: Ah, but what about geology? I have heard that Christchurch has a ... tendency to get earthquakes sometimes. That's a negative, but it is too late to change my B ranking now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or