Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times

Advertisements

Is there something to this phenomenon of temperate climate people wanting to flood the subtropics/tropics the past few decades? Does it coincide with the widespread affordability of residential air conditioning since the 70s/80s, or something else? Is it those pretty, colorful pictures on travel magazines, the euphoria that people who don't live near the beach in a hot climate that attracts people? Having been brought up in a place that the all-time record low is 60°F, 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the northern coast of PR, explain to me

I'm not looking for personal reasons of why you like that climate, I'm looking for discussion in a broad sense, something that would make a sociologist smile, not a news reporter, so to speak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,548,835 times
Look into depression and the distance from the equator.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Look into depression and the distance from the equator.
Why now though? Why didn't people move in large numbers before the 1960s? Is there something in the water that's making people depressed nowadays that didn't for the past several thousand years?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
People would rather live in the third world..

Look at life expectancy and distance from the equator.

Maybe emigrating abroad has become easier then it was 40 or so years ago?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,548,835 times
Depression wasn't sexy until very recently.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People would rather live in the third world..

Look at life expectancy and distance from the equator.

Maybe emigrating abroad has become easier then it was 40 or so years ago?
Well, if you're British, wouldn't you have been able to move to Australia, or somewhere similar in the Commonwealth, back then? Emigration might be key, but my gut tells me it's not one of the bigger reasons, because in the U.S. the Sunbelt region was rather empty compared to today before the 60s

Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,303,940 times
Not me. I like subzero cold weather and blowing and drifting snow in the winter but I also like severe thunderstorms and heavy rain and flooding during spring and summer. Sioux Falls to Brookings to Watertown South Dakota eastward to about Hutchinson or Mankato Minnesota is probably my ideal climate. Langdon North Dakota has the coldest winters in the lower 48 which I like, but they don't have much of a severe weather season which I don't like.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:46 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,649,481 times
I think it's all psychological... many people who live in the temperate zone equate the tropics with going on vacation and having a good time and living the good life... I think that's part of it.

I think seasonal affective disorder is also an important reason. This and many other mental health issues weren't that well known even 30-50 years ago... that's why not many people were aware of it and didn't equate sun exposure to mood... and didn't go down to the tropics en masse...

Technology is another reason you pointed out.. with the advent of ubiquitous air conditioning, people who don't like to sweat (I'm not one of them!) don't have to in the tropics.. they can pretend like it's summer all year round and crank the A/C low indoors and only go out into the heat when they feel like it...

Anyways, that's my 2 cents

Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think it's all psychological... many people who live in the temperate zone equate the tropics with going on vacation and having a good time and living the good life... I think that's part of it.

I think seasonal affective disorder is also an important reason. This and many other mental health issues weren't that well known even 30-50 years ago... that's why not many people were aware of it and didn't equate sun exposure to mood... and didn't go down to the tropics en masse...

Technology is another reason you pointed out.. with the advent of ubiquitous air conditioning, people who don't like to sweat (I'm not one of them!) don't have to in the tropics.. they can pretend like it's summer all year round and crank the A/C low indoors and only go out into the heat when they feel like it...

Anyways, that's my 2 cents
Yeah the last one is big. And I think people dressed up more in the past. They also have more leisure time to enjoy outdoors.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:45 AM

219 posts, read 540,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is there something to this phenomenon of temperate climate people wanting to flood the subtropics/tropics the past few decades? Does it coincide with the widespread affordability of residential air conditioning since the 70s/80s, or something else? Is it those pretty, colorful pictures on travel magazines, the euphoria that people who don't live near the beach in a hot climate that attracts people? Having been brought up in a place that the all-time record low is 60°F, 5 miles (as the crow flies) from the northern coast of PR, explain to me

I'm not looking for personal reasons of why you like that climate, I'm looking for discussion in a broad sense, something that would make a sociologist smile, not a news reporter, so to speak
Just throwing this out there but I assume you mean within the US? Then my guess would be because of the soothing effect heat has on old bones and joints, and the ready availability of spas, vacation spots (people being happy all the time) and states which actually cater to people wishing to have 'fun'. That and a natural tendency to take it (physically) a little slower (probably because of the heat), or because the majority are similarly situated.

Then I would attribute this phenomenon to the baby boomers reaching retirement, so it would seem to be escalating in the past few years, with much more instances to come.

IMHO

Last edited by Jersied; 10-29-2011 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: too...early... must..spell check...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather