Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate this climate?
A 1 2.44%
B 12 29.27%
C 7 17.07%
D/F/Z 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:57 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbridge64 View Post
This is typical of someone from BA who has probably never been to a place before and comments on it by reading a page off the internet.

I`ve lived in Formosa so heres a few facts.

It does have a winter, probably about 2 months worth of temperatures that at night can dip to 0c. During the day it can be below 10c but often slightly above. Spring and Autum temperatures are around 20-25c.
The summers are hot and humid yes but so is Buenos AIres, and i`d rather have country air rather than smoke filled polluted humid air.
Everyone has air conditioning, so you only feel the humidity when your outside. On top of that its sunny almost everyday, its probably cloudy once or twice every few weeks and when it does rain it rains alot but then its dry within a few hours as the sun comes out.

There are mosquitos but i`ve been bitten worse in Buenos Aires than in Formosa by them.

Most people do sleep siesta but for an hour or two max, not from 1 until 6 like you say. THey have lunch, spend time with family, then they go back to work until 9pm. They are also start work or school at 7am in the morning. You generally go to bed at 12-1am so you need a siesta.

Houses are often fumigated so you dont see cockroaches and other bugs in general. I saw 2 cockroaches and 1 spider in 3 months. Lots of frogs though ;-)

Personally, I spent most of my time in formosa sat in late Spring in a swimming pool watching hummingbirds and butterflies feed whilst drinking a cool beer . Whilst in Buenos Aires people were still wearing sweaters. Give me shorts and shirts any day over coats and sweaters.

Hey, you dont need to be rude. No, i ve never been to Formosa, true, but the heat and humidity of Formosa is well known. And i know people that went there and confirmed this. Plus, in those places, like you said, you have the "split" work hours. Its not like here in BA, where you work from 9 to 5 or from 8 to 6 or whatever. There you have the morning work, then you go home, have a siesta, and then go back to work. That must be cause the heat is so tremendous.
We agree on something, though, Buenos Aires is also VERY HOT in summer and i HATE IT. Like i said repeatedly here. I hate the heat, give me a continental climate anytime (im from mdp, a total different weather, specially a totally different summer). We also agree with country air being so much better than city polluted air. Im with you on that 100% .
Im sure Formosa isnt that bad IF you have A/C a swimming pool, and you are used to it. But its not for me, thanks. Any climate that can reach 40 celsius EVERY MONTH (like it says in wikipedia about formosa) is a climate i hate. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Hey, you dont need to be rude. No, i ve never been to Formosa, true, but the heat and humidity of Formosa is well known. And i know people that went there and confirmed this. Plus, in those places, like you said, you have the "split" work hours. Its not like here in BA, where you work from 9 to 5 or from 8 to 6 or whatever. There you have the morning work, then you go home, have a siesta, and then go back to work. That must be cause the heat is so tremendous.
We agree on something, though, Buenos Aires is also VERY HOT in summer and i HATE IT. Like i said repeatedly here. I hate the heat, give me a continental climate anytime (im from mdp, a total different weather, specially a totally different summer). We also agree with country air being so much better than city polluted air. Im with you on that 100% .
Im sure Formosa isnt that bad IF you have A/C a swimming pool, and you are used to it. But its not for me, thanks. Any climate that can reach 40 celsius EVERY MONTH (like it says in wikipedia about formosa) is a climate i hate. Sorry.
Sorry if it came across as a rude response, but I took offence to alot of negative remarks to a place I had fond memories of and especially from someone who hasnt even been to the place. How rude is that?

It only occasionally reaches 40c in the 3 months of summer and perhaps once a week , most of the time its 35c. It will never go upto that EVERY MONTH. The rest of the time it will get up to 35c for a few days then maybe down to 25c for a few days. And winter will go from 10c to 25c. One week will be cold , then it will be like a mini-summer for a few days then go cold again.

Dont trust everything you read on wikipedia!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbridge64 View Post
Sorry if it came across as a rude response, but I took offence to alot of negative remarks to a place I had fond memories of and especially from someone who hasnt even been to the place. How rude is that?

It only occasionally reaches 40c in the 3 months of summer and perhaps once a week , most of the time its 35c. It will never go upto that EVERY MONTH. The rest of the time it will get up to 35c for a few days then maybe down to 25c for a few days. And winter will go from 10c to 25c. One week will be cold , then it will be like a mini-summer for a few days then go cold again.

Dont trust everything you read on wikipedia!
Formosa basically sounds like much of the southern U.S. especially Texas or Louisiana

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
I think Texas would be way colder than Formosa in the winter.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
F for me, of course. It would be an F-, but I recall a few threads here that rank even worse climates. At least one or two months would only be slightly uncomfortable, instead of miserable.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I think Texas would be way colder than Formosa in the winter.
Not in Laredo, TX. That place is strange, it's warmer than Brownsville in the winter time and a bit warmer than Miami on some days. Seen it with observed temps near 30°C. Though in Texas, the closest city with Formosa's climate is Brownsville right on the southernmost type across the river from Matamoros, Mex. I give Formosa a D/F/Z

History : Weather Underground

This is summertime

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

average dew point 23°C

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
F. It's worse than where I live now, but not by much.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM

408 posts, read 458,361 times
F, it bascially another city with hot weather all months like Laredo, TX (where I live). I rather has Laredo Weather than this city.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony97 View Post
F, it bascially another city with hot weather all months like Laredo, TX (where I live). I rather has Laredo Weather than this city.
Weird how I bring up an obscure place like Laredo and someone from there pops up

Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
does everyone get a siesta, including healthcare workers? This concept seems very alien in America, I've never heard of such thing as an afternoon-nap break from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather