Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Found this animation and thought it was fun to watch. A recent study made this map of temperatures anomalies (changes relative to an average) around the world for the last 200 years.

Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (© 2011)

You can see how few weather station they had back in the early 1800s, and how drastically colder the Eastern US and Europe was in the second decade of the 1800s. Glad we're not getting that today..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
and how drastically colder the Eastern US and Europe was in the second decade of the 1800s. Glad we're not getting that today..
I'm not. I'd kill to see a winter as severe as they got back then, when the River Thames in London froze over on an annual basis.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not. I'd kill to see a winter as severe as they got back then, when the River Thames in London froze over on an annual basis.
It seems like you want to see a severe decline in agriculture... as you can see from the year without a summer

Year Without a Summer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It seems like you want to see a severe decline in agriculture... as you can see from the year without a summer

If you look in old cemeteries and see many small children died at this time. very sad. Hunger? Air quality? Cold? So many factors at that time...

The same occured, though to a lesser extent, when Krakatoa blew up in 1883 ; ash clouded the skies for years. It is supposed to have contributed to weather items like The Blizzard of 1888 (NYC) -- according to some sources.

Krakatoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

Funny, I never mentioned the year without a summer.

If such a thing occurred today, I doubt it would have anywhere near the consequences it had back then. I mean, look, agriculture in Sweden!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If such a thing occurred today, I doubt it would have anywhere near the consequences it had back then. I mean, look, agriculture in Sweden!
Might not have occurred to you that their agriculture is different from hours, and relevant to their climate. Well we don't have their climate and if you want more cold and frost here you're fooled so you might want to go and live in Sweden or Norway to fulfill your fantastical cold-craving.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Oh, really? Do you not remember August 2003 when over 2,000 people died in the UK due to heat? As well as disruption to travel because of over-heated tracks and temperatures rising to 50C in train carriages? Not to mention Air Conditioning being nonexistent, why would anyone want that? When in recent times have that many people died due to cold in the UK?

If you want to satisfy your need for constant heat and humidity then bugger off to Jamaica, because those summers are long gone as far as the UK is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather